From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 6:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: help with verbalizing items

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

netbat66

when you do this with the function keys and insert do these changes save? or do you have to go into the settings menu to save the changes?

Hi, Carol. If you press the INSERT or JAWS key as it is sometimes called by JAWS users, with the number two on the numbers row, you can change whether JAWS echos back characters, words, or nothint at all. If it is set to echo words, the word will be spoken right after pressing the space bar, or a punctuation key.

As to setting numbers to be spoken as single digits, this setting is under JAWS Settings, INSERT plus six on the number row. Then navigate down to Text Processing, and change the setting to single digits, controlled by synthesizer. That should allow speaking of single digits.

I hope this helps you.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Carol Smith

Thank you very much. My main concern is when typing the numbers from the keyboard. The reading is not a problem as much as I need to hear what I am typing. I don't want all numbers spoken this way, grin. This would have been a keyboard setting in Window-Eyes. I did find the setting for echoing words and I have that set, but will this result in echoing numbers as digits when being typed?

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:09 PM, Bill White wrote:
[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

It's not done with the Function keys. It's done with the number two just below the function keys. If you want this to be saved, It's best to use INSERT plus six on the numbers row. Once you make the change, if there's an OK button or an Apply button, that will save the settings.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

when you do this with the function keys and insert do these changes save? or
do you have to go into the settings menu to save the changes?

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Carol Smith

When I have my setting to characters, of course, it will do this, but I type fast enough that I prefer to use words. If I type something like dv-12345, I don't hear the numbers until I press enter, space or punctuation.

For some things, it is not a problem, but when editing numbers, I prefer to make certain I am entering them correctly, so I prefer to press 1 and hear 1 and then 2 , hear 2, etc. I just went back and made another couple of test changes. There does not seem to be a way to do what I am looking for. Thank you, though, for being so helpful. Doing these things are a good way to learn what type of things are found in different settings and how to use them.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:26 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

David Moore

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot hear every character sometimes, and just hear words other times. You can only choose between hear characters, words, charactors and words all of the time, or nothing LOL! That would be nice if you could hear just words, but numbers one at a time.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

When I have my setting to characters, of course, it will do this, but I

type fast enough that I prefer to use words.  If I type something like

dv-12345, I don't hear the numbers until I press enter, space or

punctuation.

For some things, it is not a problem, but when editing numbers, I prefer

to make certain I am entering them correctly, so I prefer to press 1 and

hear 1 and then 2 , hear 2, etc.  I just went back and made another

couple of test changes.  There does not seem to be a way to do what I am

looking for.  Thank you, though, for being so helpful.  Doing these

things are a good way to learn what type of things are found in

different settings and how to use them.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:26 PM, Bill White wrote:

> Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

> Bill White

> Billwhite92701@...

Carol Smith

Grin!  I guess that is one of those small changes I am making an adjustment to. ;)  At least, I am trying!

Carol

On 5/20/2017 1:01 AM, David Moore wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot hear every character sometimes, and just hear words other times. You can only choose between hear characters, words, charactors and words all of the time, or nothing LOL! That would be nice if you could hear just words, but numbers one at a time.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

When I have my setting to characters, of course, it will do this, but I

type fast enough that I prefer to use words.  If I type something like

dv-12345, I don't hear the numbers until I press enter, space or

punctuation.

For some things, it is not a problem, but when editing numbers, I prefer

to make certain I am entering them correctly, so I prefer to press 1 and

hear 1 and then 2 , hear 2, etc.  I just went back and made another

couple of test changes.  There does not seem to be a way to do what I am

looking for.  Thank you, though, for being so helpful.  Doing these

things are a good way to learn what type of things are found in

different settings and how to use them.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:26 PM, Bill White wrote:

> Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

> Bill White

> Billwhite92701@...

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Mine does too.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have
each digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123
being echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read
earlier that someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop
saying alt tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply.
Of course, I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it
is very possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking
again, grin. Thanks.

Carol

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You might want to set on character and word. I have mine set on character, but if you want to hear the numbers like that, character and word would get it for you. Otherwise, you won't hear anything until you hit a Spacebar or punctuation.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Mario

when pressing JAWSKey (insert)+numrow 2 to cycle thru the choices, there
should be a "both characters and words".

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Carol Smith

Thank you. This works great for number input only, but I suppose I can get used to using the words mode and just double-check entries when in standard typing. Window-Eyes had a specific setting where numbers could be echoed every time a number was pressed and I used that a lot. I do, however, use words much more often than numbers, so I guess this will just be one more transition. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Carol

On 5/20/2017 10:04 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Furthermore, both parameters can be set either globally or on a program-by-program basis. I use typing echo on spreadsheets, because mistakes are hard to trace after the fact, but turn it off everywhere else.

Ted

-----Original Message-----From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White