From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 8:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: adding voices

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs web page. After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the Jaws UI. How do I get them to show up?
Thanks.

Thank you.

Don H

OK so I got the voices to work as you described and I thank you for that. I now have the vocalizer Tom High voice as my default syn. However when I open the Jaws UI with insert j I am switched back to another voice. Any way to get the voice to work everywhere?

On 5/19/2017 9:05 AM, Marquette, Ed wrote:
I'm so glad this seems counterintuitive to you. This comes up periodically on this list. I think I'm the last to have encountered this problem. There were lots of good suggestions, but NONE worked.
Technical Support at Freedom Scientific walked me through the following.
I'm guessing you are talking about the Vocalizer Expressive 2 voices. They actually don't show up anywhere one would expect.
Go to the JAWS menu (JawsKey + J), then activate the "Options."
After that, go to the Voice Adjustment menu.
You will see some software synthesizers, including Eloquence.
You will have a Vocalizer Expressive Voice Installed. You probably already had one installed. So, it looks like nothing happened. Well, that may be true, but it probably is just the counterintuitive way Freedom Scientific set this up. I'm guessing you are looking for Susan, Allison, or one of the other voice persons. They are there; they are just hidden. Arrow down to the Vocalizer Expressive synthesizer. Then press Alt + V. You might have to tab once (I don't remember specifically, but you are not more than two tabs away after you hit Alt + V).
I think you can now arrow up and down to pick your voice, e.g., Susan or Alison. Arrow down to pick the voice you want to use (at least part of the time).
Then, DO THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL! Tab over, way over, until you come to a "Save As" prompt.
At that point save this "Person" as a synthesizer, e.g., SusanVoice or AlisonVoice.
Then hit apply and OK.
Now, when you do a voice adjustment, you will have synthesizers that match the name and settings for the "persons, e.g., SusanVoice."
By the way, you do this process EVEN if you downloaded the big files individually. Remember, the compressed voices all come in one file.
I'm guessing you downloaded the big files that are linked to the "person" names. That, in fact, is what fooled me.
I downloaded Susan, and I illogically thought I would find a file installed as Susan. NOT SO.
ALL the voices are tucked away in the Vocalizer Expressive menu.
I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs web page. After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the Jaws UI. How do I get them to show up?
Thanks.
Thank you.

Carol Smith

Insert plus j, options, voices, voice profile, tab through and make any changes, tab to OK and press enter, finally, there will be a yes or no asking if you want to make the voice your default, yes.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 12:02 PM, Don H wrote:
[...]

Joseph Norton

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

This question comes up all the time.

I contend that the methodology is not logical or intuitive.

You probably downloaded some of the Vocalizer 2 voices, and you probably downloaded separate files for the “large” synthesizer “persons.”

They DO NOT show up; however, you will doubtless see something that says “Vocalizer,” and it may even say (factory settings) or something like that.

Nevertheless choose that, press Alt + V.  That should put you into relative proximity to the place where you can choose a person.  Pick your person and choose the other settings you want.

Then, tab (do it several time).  Eventually, you will get to “Save as.”

Then, pick a name that relates to the person you chose, e.g., “SusanSynth.”

Then press ENTER.

You will now have a synthesizer called SusanSynth that you can pick from the list of synthesizers.

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Thank you.

Carol Smith

What are the differences fetween versions 1 and 2 of the Vocalizer voices?

On 5/22/2017 9:41 AM, Marquette, Ed wrote:

[...]

Version 2 requires JAWS 18.

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Thank you.

Carol Smith

Stupid question, but  is there a difference and can one use the older version if they sound better?  Thanks again.

Carol

On 5/22/2017 10:48 AM, Marquette, Ed wrote:

Version 2 requires JAWS 18.

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Thank you.

I believe the idea is that the version 2 voices do indeed sound better and are more responsive.

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Thank you.

Hi Ed,

It is not logical or intuitive in your opinion, to me it makes perfect sense. Synthesizers are not the same as voices hence before you can find the Vocalizer voices

You have to pick the Vocalizer synthesizer, if you simply go to Voice Adjustment and are, by default on the Eloquence synthesizer, you obviously will not find the voices from the Vocalizer synthesizer in the list of persons/voices.

The same applies to the SAPI 5X or the SAPI5X 64 synthesizer, you wouldn’t go there and expect to find the Eloquence voice there, either.

It’s simply a two-part selection, select your synthesizer and then go to the list of “Persons”, here you select the one you want and you can then save it so it shows up in the list of synthesizers with it’s own name and settings.

Regards,

Sieghard

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice profiles and they will show up.  However, you can’t have Vocalizer voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have download and installed the extra voices that I got from the fs

web page.  After a reboot they do not show up in the voices list in the

Jaws UI.  How do I get them to show up?

Thanks.

Thank you.

Mario

I believe JAWS 18 can use version 1 of the Vocalizer voices.

If you were using Eloquence, you should be able to change voice
profiles and they will show up. However, you can’t have Vocalizer
voices from version 1 installed with voices from Vocalizer version 2.

Sent from Mail

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__go.microsoft.com_fwlink_-3FLinkId-3D550986&d=DwMFaQ&c=CMYNxKEx9XwzkNg9QU6ZcPKnuXk0aDlw3v_02OUU55A&r=LwcLJ7qDHC7BpuK0FQQOM8NngMoERRDlqGQilLc0omA&m=QGAVRWRyU1A-zHvJW1cNcKPQfuV388aoZu2NA4SMo2o&s=hN5LI6Y1MZ0NeTOgDHwxDztZKeaMvUSXvgTdekDhxSM&e=>

for Windows 10