From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Hi Joseph and all.

There’s a sixth cursor for JAWS, and that’s the invisible cursor.  It’s used to read info on the screen without having to move other cursors.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

James Homuth

Old days? Far as I know it still exists. LOL

Ah yes, forgot about that from the old days…

Cheers,

Joseph

There’s a sixth cursor for JAWS, and that’s the invisible cursor.  It’s used to read info on the screen without having to move other cursors.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Old days as in early 2010’s (shows what happens if I don’t keep up with certain details of screen readers from time to time…). Perhaps I didn’t think of that as I was too used to touch cursor, UWP and what not these days…

Cheers,

Joseph

Old days? Far as I know it still exists. LOL

Ah yes, forgot about that from the old days…

Cheers,

Joseph

There’s a sixth cursor for JAWS, and that’s the invisible cursor.  It’s used to read info on the screen without having to move other cursors.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

David Moore

Hi,

If you have JAWS version 15 or above, you have the touch cursor. That cursor can get you to many more controls on a page or in a program than the invisible cursor can. The invisible cursor only works as well as the JAWS cursor, and for me, the JAWS cursor does not work at all on many web pages or in many programs. The touch cursor is like using your finger on a touch screen to navigate. You do not even need a touch screen on your device for this to work. Just press shift+numpad plus to turn it on and press the numpad plus twice to go back to the PC cursor. On a laptop, press shift+caps lock+semicolon to turn it on, and press caps lock+semicolon twice to turn it off. You go back to the PC cursor when turned off. This touch cursor in JAWS, allows you to navigate apps, just like you would with your finger. When on, just press your arrow keys. Right arrow is like swiping right for example. This is how you can use your keyboard with JAWS to navigate many environments, not just apps. I want you all to know that if you are switching to JAWS.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Old days as in early 2010’s (shows what happens if I don’t keep up with certain details of screen readers from time to time…). Perhaps I didn’t think of that as I was too used to touch cursor, UWP and what not these days…

Cheers,

Joseph

Old days? Far as I know it still exists. LOL

Ah yes, forgot about that from the old days…

Cheers,

Joseph

There’s a sixth cursor for JAWS, and that’s the invisible cursor.  It’s used to read info on the screen without having to move other cursors.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, does anyone know if JAWS has the equivalent of NVDA's mouse tracking feature in the pipeline?  I don't think that Window-Eyes had this, either, but I've used that screen reader very little.

I find the mouse tracking feature particularly invaluable for those using touch screen laptops.

Already does as part of JAWS 18 via mouse echo.

Cheers,

Joseph

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, does anyone know if JAWS has the equivalent of NVDA's mouse tracking feature in the pipeline?  I don't think that Window-Eyes had this, either, but I've used that screen reader very little.

I find the mouse tracking feature particularly invaluable for those using touch screen laptops.

Joseph,

          Thanks.  My latest referral will be using JAWS 18 so I'll have to brush up on this feature, particularly since I believe she's got a touch screen laptop.

Shannon

Thanks. For that it was actually helpful. And may make all the difference for me. That feature and learning what Ican and can not configure myself will help me figure which direction to go.
Thanks again
Shannon

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2017, at 4:32 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Shannon!

Ask away! I really feel for you guys just checking out JAWS for the first time. It has a lot of bells and wistles, but it takes a long time to learn it all LOL!

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 03:50 pm, David Moore wrote:
it takes a long time to learn it all LOL!

 I say the following without a bit of snark, and not with the intention of discouraging anyone:  No one ever learns them all.

JAWS is, to me, very much like any program of your choosing in the Microsoft Office suite.  I don't know of a single person who knows all the features of any single one of these, let alone all of them.  As programs expand to become "grand unified" it becomes impossible for any user to learn it all.

That being said, you don't need to learn it all.  Just like in spoken language, there is a core that is used for 90+ percent of what you do.  You learn the esoterica if or when you need it. [And that applies to all screen readers and any complex piece of software.  Full mastery simply is not possible for everything they can do.  Testing groups in development houses tend to be split into groups that focus on a specific feature set or small range of feature sets.]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

It does take a lot of time. I have been using it for 13 years and still don't know a lot, just finally learned from this list how the touch cursor works. I tried it; it did work.

Bye for now,

Carolyn