New user here; JAWs questions and concerns

Shannon

Good morning,

I am a potential new user of JAWS. I would be one of many conversions from WindowEyes.

I have downloaded the trial of JAWS 18 and pretty concerned about what it can and cannot do.

I know that there is a large learning curve I will have to go through, and that is only one of my concerns.

I have been reading the list for the last few days and a few things mentioned by others concern me.

I also use here at work Office 2010, Outlook, Word and Excel all the time.

I saw a mention of excel not working well with JAWS? Is that true? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I use spread sheets every single day to do my job. I also use on a daily basis the MS Query feature. Will JAWS handle the queries?

I make mail merge documents frequently and they tie to the MS Databases.

Will Jaws work with outlook 2010? I have over 10 different email profiles set up and I need access to them.

Does JAWS have a way to search the screen for text or buttons to be clicked by the mouse or a “HotSpot” feature as WE did/does? I use that feature everyday along with custom scripts to get access to the time keeping software programs.

The language in the control panel seams so foreign to me. I can’t tell, but it seems as if Jaws acknowledges 4 kinds of cursers? A virtual curser, a JAWS curser, PC Curser, and something called Mouse overlay?

Is the Jaws curser the mouse? What is the Mouse overlay? Can I read the screen with the mouse?

Since I am new and don’t know how it works and how to configure it I can’t tell what I can and can’t do.

I can tell that many functions of the accounting program, and the three programs that are involved in time tracking do not behave well and most likely are going to require special custom scripts.

Before I spend a lot of money and time I want to know if Jaws can even do the little stuff like Office and surfing the web?

If JAWS doesn’t like Office 2010 what version does it like?

Thanks for your time.

Shannon

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Jaws works fine with office 2010.  It can surf the web fine.

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Jaws works with office 2010 pretty well. Surfing the web and doing most tasks. Witch version of windows do you have at work? win 7 is my preference and most business's still use it.

On 5/17/2017 10:19 AM, Dennis L wrote:

[...]

I have win7 pro at home I agree with you.

[...]

Michael Mote

Hi Shannon!  JAWS offers a lot of helpful training materials that are free.  To locate these, navigate to the JAWS Window by pressing either Alt Tab or Insert plus the letter J.  Insert is also the 0 key on the number pad on a regular desktop keyboard, provided that your num lock setting is set to off.  Once you are there, press Alt plus the letter H to bring up the help menu.  Then you can use the arrow keys to find the training option.  Press enter to open this menu.  You should land in a table of contents for all of the training materials.  Depending on how JAWS was installed on your system, you can either select the particular module you are wanting to read, or download it.  You can use the arrow keys to navigate through the page, and find all of the choices.  I hope this is helpful for you.  Good luck!  I know that being a new JAWS user can be very overwhelming at first.  I was there and I haven’t forgotten how confusing it was for me.  I urge you to go through these training modules.  They will be very helpful to you.  They are guided as well with audio to listen to, if you don’t want to read the information.

[...]

I am running windows 8.1.

I am not a big fan of it either. Actually I am not sure what exactly I don’t like. This computer has been goofy since I got it. Not sure if it was Windows or WE but it gives me fits all the time in all the programs mentioned. Don’t really  know which is the culprit.

Thanks

Shannon

[...]

Hi,

Another variable to consider: which Window-Eyes version are you coming from? If it’s less than 9, chances are that you may need to do some learning.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Its windows 8.1! Universally disliked. :) Just my opinion but win 10 is better than win 8.1 and I dont care for win 10 all that much. But to be fair it isnt terrible either I just think win 7 is better.

On 5/17/2017 10:42 AM, Shannon wrote:

[...]

You know, I strongly suspected that to be the case. I was too afraid to get Win 10 when they were offering it so I didn’t. Sigh.

Too many things could have gone wrong and then what would I do?

Now I am stuck with it. And now it looks like there is a newer version coming out? Creator?

Oh boy!

Thanks

Shannon

[...]

At least for now, Window-Eyes will work on Windows 10 (including the latest release which is Creators Update), but that’s not always going to be so in the future. There are certain features introduced in later JAWS releases that makes Windows 10 and universal apps a bit easier to use, the most important of which is touch cursor (JAWS 15). There are also features that takes advantage of Windows 8.x and 10 functionality such as audio ducking (JAWS 18); regarding audio ducking, it has received mixed reviews.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

You can still get win 10 for free.

On 5/17/2017 11:43 AM, Shannon wrote:

[...]

Mario

Shannon, why not call the Microsoft Disability Helpdesk (800-936-5900)
to upgrade the computer for you. it's still free for users who need/use
adaptive technology. Windows 8.1 qualifies for the upgrade.

[...]

That is the second time I have heard about this touch curser?

So Jaws has 4 kinds of cursers? Jaws curser,virtual curser PC curser Mouse over lay, and now a Touch curser?

Oh boy… What is a touch curser for? If that is for a tablet then I can not worry about it. I don’t have one of those.

Audio ducking sounds like a good thing. I can’t tell you or most likely, I don’t have to tell you, how annoying and difficult to deal with the sounds from a web page while useing a screen reader at the same time.

[...]

I can? How do I do that? Maybe it would be better than this?

I have it on my own laptop but it is not loaded with work stuff so I don’t know if things behave better on that platform or not?

Thanks

[...]

I should have read this before replying to the last message.
I just might do that.
Can't get worse can it?

[...]

This actually makes it five:

  • PC cursor: system focus, caret movement and so on.
  • JAWS cursor: mouse manipulation and screen review.
  • Mouse echo: JAWS speaking content under the mouse as the mouse moves.
  • Virtual PC cursor: used for web browsing.
  • Touch cursor: ability to move between controls that cannot be navigated to via the keyboard and/or mouse. This is not limited to tablets – it can be used on desktops and use of this cursor is essential in Windows 10 and universal apps (ask me offlist if you have questions about what universal apps are).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

There are basically 3 cursors. The regular PC cursor that is the default and used most often. it navigates the controls using tab and arrow keys. the second is the Jaws cursor that moves the mouse pointer with the arrow keys. this is usually only used when PC cursor wont work. the touch cursor was Jaws fix for windows using things that don't work with the first two cursors. It is used with the left right arrow keys. I only started using the touch cursor in windows 10. It is not as complicated as it sounds once you have used them for a wile.

On 5/17/2017 12:01 PM, Shannon wrote:

[...]

Oh, this could be the thing I am looking for. These three programs that are really giving me trouble are just like that! They have buttons and pull downs and menues that are not tab, shift, tab Ctrl Tab or arrow key reachable.

To get to them the mouse find command was hit or miss and mostly missed.

Any quicky pointers on this nifty little thing? I always wondered what perspective was being read when I used the number pad with JAWS? It never seamed to be doing what I thought it should. We uses the numpad for the mouse. So If this little thing is like a mouse only not a mouse, how do you control it? Can you click when you find it?

Thanks

Shannon

[...]

Joseph, isn't there also a braille cursor?

[...]

Carol Smith

Can anyone tell me how long I might have to wait for my access key? I am not doing very well with the 40-minute demo. It seems I just get started on something and I am nearly out of time. I did register yesterday. Thanks.

Carol