MS Word 2010

Does anybody still have Jaws 17? I have long ago stopped using Office 2010, but I'm curious about what Tim said that he could not read the contents of cells in an Excel spreadsheet with Jaws 17, I believe he said he was using Office 2010 on a Windows 10 computer. I wonder if something else is going on or if Jaws 17 really does not read Excel content in this scenario but Jaws 18 does.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: MS Word 2010

I'm not Brian, but, yes, they will work well together. I am using them on this computer.

Bill White billwhite92701@...

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:08 PM

Brian,

Just to reassure myself and make sure I understand correctly …… Will Windows 10 Pro, Jaws 18 and MS word 2010 work well together without any major issues?

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:05 AM

Laura,

The extended support end date for the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (which all of us should have by now if we have Office 2010, or will have not long after loading a fresh copy) is October 13, 2020.   (See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/13615)

End of support for Office 2010 should have little to nothing to do with whether a screen reader will work with it so long as said screen reader will work under "the old Windows paradigm" meaning if it's compatible with Windows 7 or earlier.

It is highly unlikely that screen reader support for Windows 7 will end before its sundown date in 2020 and, given the embedded base of Windows 7 and that many will still be using it, it may go after that.  I doubt that the code that supports "the old pre-universal-apps" Windows application programs (termed Desktop Apps under Windows 10) is going to go away for a very, very long time because those programs are not going away any time soon and there are still many that are under development that show no signs of rushing to become an universal app anytime soon.

--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15433 (20170517) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15433 (20170517) __________

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 04:20 pm, Gerry Ellis wrote:
I suggest that a good way to improve your efficiency using MS Office in general is to spend a lot of time learning keyboard alternatives.

This goes well beyond just MS Office.  I strongly encourage my clients to figure out, based on the work they're currently doing and any time new "repetitive" tasks start entering the picture, that they should take the time to create a personal "greatest hits list" of the keyboard shortcuts for the tasks they need to do in the programs they're needing to do them.   It is just so much faster and, ultimately, less frustrating than constantly navigating to a control, whether that be via menu or ribbon. 
--

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Gerry Ellis <gerry.ellis@...>

Hi, Laura,

I use that combination together every day at home and it works very well. I use the same at work except that i use Windows 7 and it also works very well. It works particularly well with Excel.

I suggest that a good way to improve your efficiency using MS Office in general is to spend a lot of time learning keyboard alternatives.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,

How will you know when you get there?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:09 AM

Brian,

Just to reassure myself and make sure I understand correctly …… Will Windows 10 Pro, Jaws 18 and MS word 2010 work well together without any major issues?

Laura

Laura,

The extended support end date for the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (which all of us should have by now if we have Office 2010, or will have not long after loading a fresh copy) is October 13, 2020.   (See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/13615)

End of support for Office 2010 should have little to nothing to do with whether a screen reader will work with it so long as said screen reader will work under "the old Windows paradigm" meaning if it's compatible with Windows 7 or earlier.

It is highly unlikely that screen reader support for Windows 7 will end before its sundown date in 2020 and, given the embedded base of Windows 7 and that many will still be using it, it may go after that.  I doubt that the code that supports "the old pre-universal-apps" Windows application programs (termed Desktop Apps under Windows 10) is going to go away for a very, very long time because those programs are not going away any time soon and there are still many that are under development that show no signs of rushing to become an universal app anytime soon.

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Laura,

I'm refusing to make that assurance but I will say that JAWS 18 is working as expected (so far, anyway) with MS-Office 2010 on my laptop which runs Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.296.

Given this, it is my expectation that they should do the same under the Pro version of Windows 10.
--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I'm not Brian, but, yes, they will work well together. I am using them on this computer.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:08 PM

Brian,

Laura

Laura,

--

Laura Richardson

Brian,

Laura

Laura,

--

Mario,

Far be it from me to divine how and when (or whether) Microsoft updates these life cycle pages.  Clicking on a number of the "here" links for migration guidance takes you straight to the promo and purchase pages for Office 365 [which I personally have no desire to have].

Given the way that dates are presented on the page I gave the link to I am not certain of how, precisely, one might interpret that disclaimer.
--

Mario

Brian, why do the other editions of Office (Home and Business 2010, Home
and Student 2010, etc.) have an expiration date of 2012?

and the expiration for Service Pack 2 has a note that "Support ends 12
months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the
product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first."?

does that mean if there is a Service Pack 3 that is released before
10/13/20, the expiration for SP3 is 10/13/21?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:04 PM EST
Subject: MS Word 2010

Laura,

The extended support end date for the Microsoft Office 2010
Service Pack 2 (which all of us should have by now if we have Office
2010, or will have not long after loading a fresh copy) is October 13,
2020. (See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/13615
( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/13615 ) )

End of support for Office 2010 should have little to
nothing to do with whether a screen reader will work with it so long as
said screen reader will work under "the old Windows paradigm" meaning if
it's compatible with Windows 7 or earlier.

It is highly unlikely that screen reader support for
Windows 7 will end before its sundown date in 2020 and, given the
embedded base of Windows 7 and that many will still be using it, it may
go after that. I doubt that the code that supports "the old
pre-universal-apps" Windows application programs (termed Desktop Apps
under Windows 10) is going to go away for a very, very long time because
those programs are not going away any time soon and there are still many
that are under development that show no signs of rushing to become an
universal app anytime soon.

--
*Brian* Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution
is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great
things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely
Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Laura,

--

Laura Richardson

Getting Office 365 is not an option for me in this situation.  I just really need to make sure the combination of Windows 10, Jaws 18 and MS Word 2010 will work well together and that MS Word 2010 will continue to be supported …… Thanks for your input.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:45 AM

Hello,

I would get office 365 and pay the yearly fee.  Then you also install the latest office sueite 2016 software to your device.

This way you have the latest and it is alwaysed updated for free with your 365 account as long as you pay the yearly amount.

I use it and it is great

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: May 17, 2017 7:01

Good morning,

Currently I work from home using Windows 7, Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010 on a four year old laptop that is dying (ugh).  I’m supposed to be receiving a new laptop in the near future with Windows 10 Pro and Jaws 18 with the plan of installing MS word 2010 because I already have that version.  I’ve been told this combination will work but I’ve recently heard that MS Word 2010 will no longer be supported in the near future.  Since this will be a work computer, not just personal, it is crucial that I have a combination that works well with Jaws and will not be at risk of nonsupport in the near future.

Advice please? …… Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Hello,

I would get office 365 and pay the yearly fee.  Then you also install the latest office sueite 2016 software to your device.

This way you have the latest and it is alwaysed updated for free with your 365 account as long as you pay the yearly amount.

I use it and it is great

Sent: May 17, 2017 7:01

Good morning,

Currently I work from home using Windows 7, Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010 on a four year old laptop that is dying (ugh).  I’m supposed to be receiving a new laptop in the near future with Windows 10 Pro and Jaws 18 with the plan of installing MS word 2010 because I already have that version.  I’ve been told this combination will work but I’ve recently heard that MS Word 2010 will no longer be supported in the near future.  Since this will be a work computer, not just personal, it is crucial that I have a combination that works well with Jaws and will not be at risk of nonsupport in the near future.

Thanks,

Laura

Laura Richardson

Good morning,

Thanks,

Laura