Questions concerning Thunderbird

James Bentley

Hi all,

1.  Is it possible to get the date that a message was sent to show up in the message list headers in Thunderbird?

2.  In my system tray, there are  4 different entries from TB.  Each shows that I have received messages.  And, each shows a different number for messages received.  I’m wonering about that one too.

Thanks for any help,

James B

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

James,
        1.  I can't see that (Sent Date or anything similar) in the list of things you can display in Thunderbird.  If you want to have a look yourself then see:  http://accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html and look for the section entitled, "Using drag and drop with NVDA to rearrange column headers in Mozilla Thunderbird."  Even if you don't plan to rearrange anything it lets you get into what's available to rearrange and that's not necessarily visible by default.

        2.  Do you have more than one e-mail account set up in Thunderbird?   I have not seen the 4-notifications with 4 different message counts but it strikes me as if it could be a mailbox by mailbox feature, as in version 52 there is a single system tray icon where you get the counts for individual mailboxes on hover-over.  I don't see anything obvious in Tools, Options that would make this happen but it's the only rational explanation unless something's not working right (which, of course, could be the case).

James Bentley

Hello Brian,

The multiple entries in the system tray seems to have resolved itself for now.  I do not even know why.

I do not use NVDA. So, I wonder if there is a way to try the drag and drop with Jaws to get the date column to show up in the message header?

Thanks,

James B

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: Questions concerning Thunderbird

--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

        Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

James,

          I know that JAWS supports the same drag and drop commands as are supported in NVDA exist in JAWS, but I don't have my keystrokes documents handy at the moment to find 'em.

James Bentley

OK, please let me just be sure that I understand what you are suggesting.

I think that you are saying that the “date” column is there but it will either take eye sight or a skilled screen reader user to make it visible to Jaws.

Brian, thanks as always,

James B

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:48 PM

James,

          I know that JAWS supports the same drag and drop commands as are supported in NVDA exist in JAWS, but I don't have my keystrokes documents handy at the moment to find 'em.

--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

        Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

James,

           If what you're looking for is the actual date-time stamp of when the message was sent I do not see anything that matches that description or even hints at it.  This could be buried somewhere in the message header, but I doubt you want to wade through those.

           What I'm suggesting is that you can actually plow through the available columns in Thunderbird to see what's available.  If something's there that you want, if you do the NVDA-to-JAWS keystroke translation (which is generally pretty close, particularly if some of what's described isn't really the screen reader, but either Windows or Thunderbird commands) you can take a look at what your options are, add or remove the columns you'd like to display, and even reorder their order if you so desire.

James Bentley

What I am hoping for is for the message headers to read the same way that they did in WLM.

atachment,unread, from, subject, date, and time.

James B

On 5/16/2017 8:49 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

James,

           If what you're looking for is the actual date-time stamp of when the message was sent I do not see anything that matches that description or even hints at it.  This could be buried somewhere in the message header, but I doubt you want to wade through those.

           What I'm suggesting is that you can actually plow through the available columns in Thunderbird to see what's available.  If something's there that you want, if you do the NVDA-to-JAWS keystroke translation (which is generally pretty close, particularly if some of what's described isn't really the screen reader, but either Windows or Thunderbird commands) you can take a look at what your options are, add or remove the columns you'd like to display, and even reorder their order if you so desire.

James,

         Oh, that you can definitely do.  When I was playing around with this a while ago when a question like this came up before I had rearranged mine to something very similar to what you list.  I can't even recall what the original order was and I know that I added the status column so that the screen reader would read either "Read" or "Unread" because the questioner back then wanted that desperately.

          By the way the date itself is a date time stamp.  If the message is from today it's only the time but once it's past today's date the full date/time stamp with the date showing first, but all in the same column.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 06:59 pm, James Bentley wrote:
What I am hoping for is for the message headers to read the same way that they did in WLM.

 P.S.:  If you're not against asking for sighted help on principle it is faster, much faster, to do the rearranging of the order via mouse-driven drag and drop and the addition of columns via right-clicking on the headings row and selecting/deselecting the columns you'd like to have displayed.

The logistics of doing this with a screen reader is just far more time consuming, so if you have a willing assistant and speed is of the essence then I'd definitely go that route.

James Bentley

Cool, I'll get my date back after midnight.

If you run across any information as to how I might move the unread to be the first column, please let me know.  It saves a major amount of time to see that first if I am going through a lot of email.

James B

James B

On 5/16/2017 9:11 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

James,

         Oh, that you can definitely do.  When I was playing around with this a while ago when a question like this came up before I had rearranged mine to something very similar to what you list.  I can't even recall what the original order was and I know that I added the status column so that the screen reader would read either "Read" or "Unread" because the questioner back then wanted that desperately.

          By the way the date itself is a date time stamp.  If the message is from today it's only the time but once it's past today's date the full date/time stamp with the date showing first, but all in the same column.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I wonder if there are jaws scripts out there or if someone could write them.

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 6:36 PM

[...]

Glad to get your opinion.  I have a couple people that I can ask.

I want to play with TB for a week or so to find out if it screws up like WLM often does.  If not, I'm changing email clients.

Thanks for everything.

James B

On 5/16/2017 9:17 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 06:59 pm, James Bentley wrote:
What I am hoping for is for the message headers to read the same way that they did in WLM.

 P.S.:  If you're not against asking for sighted help on principle it is faster, much faster, to do the rearranging of the order via mouse-driven drag and drop and the addition of columns via right-clicking on the headings row and selecting/deselecting the columns you'd like to have displayed.

The logistics of doing this with a screen reader is just far more time consuming, so if you have a willing assistant and speed is of the essence then I'd definitely go that route.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Could someone write a script that allows us to easily choose how this is done?