Mouse Echo Layer

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

David Moore

Hi Bill,

The Mouse echo feature, when it is turned on with the key command you just said, enables one to use a mouse or the touch pad on your laptop and JAWS will say what you move the mouse pointer over. It works pretty well, and it allows you to move the mouse pointer around and here what you are moving it over so you can use the mouse and click just like a sighted person. NVDA has had this feature built into it for a long time. With JAWS, the mouse echo feature does not play any tones like NVDA does to let you know where the pointer is on the screen, but you can navigate the screen pretty well with this feature in JAWS. When you are done using the Mouse echo, just use the same key command Insert+Space bar and then e to turn it off. I have it set to say words as the mouse moves around the screen.

Take care!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi David,

I read about this feature also and have been meaning to try it. However, while I can find Mouse Echo in the Settings Centre when default settings are loaded, the layered keystroke Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by E does not say anything, e.g. it is not like Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by O which says “OCR” or Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+H which says “Speech History Cleared”.

Shouldn’t it say “Mouse Echo On” or “Mouse Echo Off”?

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Sieghard. Your JAWS is not working as expected. When I do the command:

INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E, my JAWS says:

Mouse Echo Layer

It expects one of the following commands:

C for character,

W for word,

L for line,

P for paragraph,

O for on or off,

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

I read about this feature also and have been meaning to try it. However, while I can find Mouse Echo in the Settings Centre when default settings are loaded, the layered keystroke Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by E does not say anything, e.g. it is not like Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by O which says “OCR” or Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+H which says “Speech History Cleared”.

Shouldn’t it say “Mouse Echo On” or “Mouse Echo Off”?

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Mine says mouse echo when I press the keystrokes you mentioned, but that is as far as I took it.

Jaws 18 Windows 10 latest builds.

Cheers

I read about this feature also and have been meaning to try it. However, while I can find Mouse Echo in the Settings Centre when default settings are loaded, the layered keystroke Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by E does not say anything, e.g. it is not like Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by O which says “OCR” or Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+H which says “Speech History Cleared”.

Shouldn’t it say “Mouse Echo On” or “Mouse Echo Off”?

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Thanks Bill, if I follow the Jaws Key+Spacebar and E with one of the letters you mention Jaws will say on, off, character, word or line, it just does not say the initial “Mouse Echo Layer”, not sure why that is because when I do the layered command for OCR it will say “OCR” before I press any of the secondary commands like d for documents, s for screen etc. Not a big deal, at least I can turn it on or off and set the echo to try this out.

Regards,

Sieghard

I read about this feature also and have been meaning to try it. However, while I can find Mouse Echo in the Settings Centre when default settings are loaded, the layered keystroke Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by E does not say anything, e.g. it is not like Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by O which says “OCR” or Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by Shift+H which says “Speech History Cleared”.

Shouldn’t it say “Mouse Echo On” or “Mouse Echo Off”?

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Which version of JAWS are you running when you encounter this behavior of JAWS not saying

“Mouse Echo Layer?”

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

Or perhaps, what verbosity level are you using?

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Hi Bill and Joseph,

I am using Jaws 18.0.2740 which is the latest built.

When I press Jaws Key+Spacebar I hear the little tone it makes, then when I press “e” Jaws simply echos “e”. As I said, if I do “O” it does correctly say OCR.

I am using intermediate verbocity, but I did consider this already and changed it to beginner and it makes no difference.

Not sure why it doesn’t properly say what the keystroke is, but as I said, it’s not a big deal and at this point it’s not worth it for me to spend more time trying to figure it out especially since pressing any other key in the sequence does what it is supposed to do and the action is properly spoken, e.g. on, off, characters, words, lines.

.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Just came to work where I have Jaws 18.0.2740 on a Windows 7 Professional desktop and I get the same result, Jaws Key+Spacebar followed by "e" makes Jaws say "e" not Mouse Echo layer or whatever you guys get.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Hi again, Sieghard. One other item I will mention is that under the JAWS context menu, which I reach by using the keystroke INSERT plus the letter J, then open basic settings. The first setting,

Tutor messages, announce menu and control help radio button checked. If you use one of the other settings in this dialogue, you will not get all the control announcements. This might be the reason for INSERT plus SPACE BAR, E not echoing correctly.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks, Bill, I did have this set to Custom Messages, but I just now changed it to menu and control help and again set my verbocity to beginners and still no go. Anyways, I'm not too concerned about it at this point, I can use the feature and I really don't care if it says Mouse Echo or "E".

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Mario

Bill, the mouse Echo command is only for JAWS 18, right?

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Or perhaps, what verbosity level are you using?

Cheers,

Joseph

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the
Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, I think it has been in JAWS since at least JAWS 16.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Bill, the mouse Echo command is only for JAWS 18, right?

Or perhaps, what verbosity level are you using?

Cheers,

Joseph

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the
Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15427 (20170516) __________

http://www.eset.com

David Moore

Hi,

Mouse echo started in JAWS 18.

Bill White billwhite92701@...

> Bill, the mouse Echo command is only for JAWS 18, right?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Is this a new feature in 18?

Ted

[...]

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Yes you now have mouse useability in 18

[...]

Interesting, Bill. I tried it a while ago, and it said nothing. Maybe I should follow up with one of the choices, or look at the help file.

Ted

No, I think it has been in JAWS since at least JAWS 16.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
Bill, the mouse Echo command is only for JAWS 18, right?

Or perhaps, what verbosity level are you using?

Cheers,

Joseph

Can anyone direct me as to where to find more information on what the
Mouse Echo Layer command does, INSERT plus SPACE BAR, then the letter E?

I want to know what it enables, and how to use the feature it enables.

Thank you.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of detection engine 15427 (20170516) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Yes, Ted, it’s a new feature in JAWS 18.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

like Ted, I'm using JAWS 16 and insert+spacebar e doesn't announce
anything. following up with the choices doesn't make a difference, not
even the windows ding.