Kertana and searching for a file, or for key words in a file

Sharon

I used to be able to go into Windows Explorer, and search for a file, and even for key words somewhere on my hard drive even if I didn’t know what file the words were in. When I now go to file explorer, and then to search, it wants to take me to the internet, and it appears that Kertana is somehow in charge. Anyone know how to just simply find a file when I know it’s name, or find key words in a file when I don’t? I may or may not know what folder the file is in. I used to just go to my documents and just start the search. Talk about confused!

Sharon

Sharon,

            Cortana is a far more powerful tool than simple Windows Search ever was, and it would take many pages to explain every feature.

            I tend to search primarily on file name, and I far prefer the Everything Search program from voidtools.com for that purpose.  It's much faster than Cortana for file name searches and very light on system resources.

            It's hard to advise you further without knowing what version of Windows 10 you're using.  If you hit WinKey and type "winver" take a look at the version that's returned and post it.  There are settings you can tweak related to Cortana, at least prior to the Creator's Update (which is Version 1703), that can stop the inclusion of web results.
--
Brian

Sharon

I’m running windows 10

Version 1607 ios build 14393.1198.

I’ll check out that other program. Can that other program search for key words within files as well?

Do we have to accept Creator?

Sharon

            Cortana is a far more powerful tool than simple Windows Search ever was, and it would take many pages to explain every feature.

            I tend to search primarily on file name, and I far prefer the Everything Search program from voidtools.com for that purpose.  It's much faster than Cortana for file name searches and very light on system resources.

            It's hard to advise you further without knowing what version of Windows 10 you're using.  If you hit WinKey and type "winver" take a look at the version that's returned and post it.  There are settings you can tweak related to Cortana, at least prior to the Creator's Update (which is Version 1703), that can stop the inclusion of web results.
--
Brian

Tim Ford

I have used the Everything search program, and am pretty sure it looks only to the name of files and folders.  I would love to have that option with the Everything program, because it is nicely accessible.  If someone does know how to have the Everything program search text within a file, please let me know!

I have found the built-in Windows search box, both Windows 7 and 10, to be quite good at searching the actual content of Word, Excel, Outlook, browser favorites, and probably more.  I have always found what I was looking for.  You tend to get more results than are useful or helpful, but at least the answer is there.  In Windows 10, the automatic sorting of search results by type makes Windows 10 especially useful since you can avoid slogging through a long list of results that you can tell from the title have nothing of interest.

Tim Ford

[...]

Everything search can search file contents, but unlike Windows Search the Everything does not index file contents, so searching on file content alone, unless you also combine it with a suspected file name/wildcard, will be painfully slow compared to a straight Everything search.  See:  https://voidtools.com/faq/#does_everything_search_file_contents

Sharon, hit the WinKey then enter "Cortana" sans quotation marks.  You should get the "Cortana & Search" settings returned, probably as the first item.  Once you've gained focus on that then hit enter to open it.   In Version 1607 there is a toggle (checkbox) for "Search Online & include web results" which you will want to toggle off if you wish to avoid having web results in your Windows Cortana searches.

--
Brian

Gerry Ellis <gerry.ellis@...>

Hi,

Good old DOS provides a way to search for a text string within a file or group of files.

Hit Windows and r to bring up a run box then type in cmd and hit enter. Once the DOS box is up, type findstr /? And hit enter to get details.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,

How will you know when you get there?