Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Lauren Snyder

Hi:

How do I make sure whether I am opening a .pdf, a file attachmnet in mail, that I can choose the program I want the application open in. I don’t know what happened, but when I tried to open an attachment in Outlook, it went automtically to MS Edge. Also, when I clicked on a link, MS edge started instead of my preferred IE.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lauren Snyder

princessesrule@...

Lauren,

          To my knowledge you can definitely still set your default apps by file type under Windows 10.  PDF files are not among "the short list" that's shown on the Default Apps settings page directly.  If you hit WinKey and search default apps one of the items that will be returned in the search is the "Choose default apps by file type" dialog.  If you open it and search on PDF you can then select the application you prefer to have used to open PDF files.

           Unless something's changed recently, and it could have, the app you've chosen in the main Default Apps settings for Web Browser is what should be used to open any link except for those that come back from a Cortana Search, which always get opened in MS-Edge.  I have not heard anything along the lines that Microsoft has now forced the Mail App to use MS-Edge regardless of what you've chosen as your default web browser app, so I'd recheck that setting.
--
Brian

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Unfortunately windows will open certain links in Edge no matter what you have set your default preferences too... MS will also change your default search engine to bing without your permission or notification...

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:01 am, Randy Barnett wrote:
Unfortunately windows will open certain links in Edge no matter what you have set your default preferences too... MS will also change your default search engine to bing without your permission or notification...

Windows 10 only uses Bing as the default search engine in MS-Edge, and this can be changed, but will revert to Bing for any searches executed via Cortana as opposed to using the Edge app itself, which will use the search engine you've set.

Windows 10 will only open links that are the result of a web search done via Cortana in MS-Edge.  Other links, such as those you have in e-mail messages, on web pages, etc., will open in whatever browser you have selected as your default web browsing app.  I have tested this less than 4 hours ago with the Windows 10 Mail app and links received in messages.  These all open in Firefox, which I have set as my default browser.

I am running Version 1703, Build 15063.296, under Win10 Home, 64-bit.
--
Brian

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Brian This is not true. Help links in Win 10 will open in Edge Google chrome has reported the default search engine was silently changed to Bing and asked If I wanted to block any future attempts to silently change my search engine. These are just a couple of real world situations and can be reproduced

On 5/12/2017 11:08 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

         Then I want the steps to reproduce them.  And this is not because I don't believe you, but because I have not been able to induce what you're describing.

          I have never had any search engine "silently changed" to anything with the exception of once during one of the major updates, I think to version 1607, where a bunch of other settings that users can reset got set back to the defaults that Microsoft thought appropriate.   I have expressed my outrage at this practice, or at least not telling people that they need to recheck certain specific settings, repeatedly.

          I just clicked on a link in a Help dialog in MS-Publisher 2010 and it's being presented in Firefox, my default browser.  If I can replicate what you're reporting then I may also be able to figure out how to block it from occurring.  The only thing I've come to accept that I have no control over is what happens with Cortana web search results (always shown in MS-Edge and always produced using Bing Search).
--
Brian

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

go to windows update and click on get more help... It opens in Edge...

On 5/12/2017 1:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

        You are correct.   Given that what shows up when you initially click on "Get Help" is a Windows Help app, that appears to be using Cortana "under the hood" to do a web search based on what you enter, this result is not surprising.   Anything that Microsoft is keeping inside the new Universal Apps presentation (for lack of a better way of phrasing it) is funneling straight to Cortana, Edge, and Bing.

         The original poster asked about opening PDF files with a program of her choosing, as opposed to Edge, and having links clicked in Outlook open in the web browser of her choice.  Both of these are easily accomplished, and permanently, barring another of the major updates that might change those settings.  Since there has been a huge outcry about resetting those settings that the user can reconfigure without their knowledge it appears that Microsoft is trying to move away from this practice (that they never should have indulged in in the first place).

           My initial statements in this thread are, indeed, correct if one looks at how certain exceptions are actually being produced.  If it involves Cortana, whether explicitly or implicitly, then one is definitely saddled with the Cortana-Edge-Bing thruple.
--
Brian

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Sorry I don't understand your issue with what I said... There are links all through the OS that open in edge no matter what your settings... MS has also changed my default search engine from google. to Bing. It is hard to know every instance that this applies too So I was just pointing this out...