Jaws, windows & MS Word combination

Laura Richardson

Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together?  Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I’m able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Jeanette McAllister PhD

Give me a call

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together?  Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I’m able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Ann Byrne

It's my understanding that JAWS 16, the last release, is the first JAWS that works with windows 10.

At 08:37 AM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I'm able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, it will not work well together. You will definitely need to upgrade to JAWS 18, due to the fact that you will be running Windows 10, and the fact that there have been recent updates to Windows 10, making it even more necessary to update to JAWS 18.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together?  Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I’m able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

I would be reluctant to try JAWS 15 with Windows 10. FS claimed substantial changes were made in JAWS 16 to make it work with Windows 10.
JAWS 18 has its problems, but JAWS 18 did, for the most part, fix the screw-ups in track change recognition in JAWS 16 and 17.
It isn't completely fixed yet, but at least one can tell when something has been deleted and something has been added to the main body of text. In JAWS 16 and 17, that was broken, with JAWS mislabeling text.
Track changes still doesn't work in footnotes, but there is still a huge improvement.
Except for track change recognition, I see no reason to progress past JAWS 17. You should be just fine with Word 2010. In fact, I would skip past Word 2013, which is a kind of kluge.

At 08:37 AM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and
Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also,
is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws
18 regarding the capability of what I'm able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will
work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.

Thank you,
Laura

Thank you.

Mario

Ed, could you expand on why Word 2013 is a kind of kluge? and would you
suggest to use Word 2016, or stay with 2010, and why?

At 08:37 AM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and
Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also,
is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws
18 regarding the capability of what I'm able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will
work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.

Thank you,
Laura

message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.

.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

If this is for work I would stick with win 7. The learning curve and added expense of jaws 18 aren't worth the pain you will go through with win 10.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Only problem is that in three years, Windows 7 will no longer be supported.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

If this is for work I would stick with win 7. The learning curve and added expense of jaws 18 aren't worth the pain you will go through with win 10.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Yes, and hopefully in 3yres, win 10 accessibility will improve and Jaws will be more stable. I have frequent pauses and crashes right now on two different machines.
Office 2013 runs better on my win 7 machine with Jaws 18 than it does on win 10. I have win 7 on my business machine and win 10 on two other machines...

On 5/7/2017 10:02 AM, Bill White wrote:
Only problem is that in three years, Windows 7 will no longer be supported.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

If this is for work I would stick with win 7. The learning curve and added expense of jaws 18 aren't worth the pain you will go through with win 10.

I agree with Bill, might as well get with the program and learn Windows 10 which really is not a big learning curve in my opinion from Windows 7. Yes, you need at least Jaws 16 upgraded to the latest version, but once again, eventually you do have to upgrade and maintaining a Jaws home software maintenance agreement for $100 or $120 every two years in my opinion is not that big of a burdon, most people spend more than that on coffee in a couple months.
I have Windows 10 Creator's update running on a 5-year old laptop and also on a more or less brandnew fairly high-end laptop and don't experience any of the frequent crashing issues you mention, Randy, in fact, currently I experience more problems on two of my Windows 7 computers at work which goes to show that whether one has issues or not depends hugely on each individual situation and installation. Overall I would say Windows 10 is faster and more stabil than Windows 7 any day.

Regards,
Sieghard