Jaws, windows & MS Word combination

Laura Richardson

Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7, Jaws 15, and MS Word 2010 on an HP laptop.

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together?  Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I’m able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Jeanette McAllister PhD

Give me a call 

Dr. Jeanette McAllister
757-346-0708

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together?  Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I’m able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura

Ann Byrne

It's my understanding that JAWS 16, the last release, is the first JAWS that works with windows 10.

At 08:37 AM 5/7/2017, you wrote:
Hello,

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws 18 regarding the capability of what I'm able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, it will not work well together. You will definitely need to upgrade to JAWS 18, due to the fact that you will be running Windows 10, and the fact that there have been recent updates to Windows 10, making it even more necessary to update to JAWS 18.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws, windows & MS Word combination

Hello,

Thank you,

Laura

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

I would be reluctant to try JAWS 15 with Windows 10. FS claimed substantial changes were made in JAWS 16 to make it work with Windows 10.
JAWS 18 has its problems, but JAWS 18 did, for the most part, fix the screw-ups in track change recognition in JAWS 16 and 17.
It isn't completely fixed yet, but at least one can tell when something has been deleted and something has been added to the main body of text. In JAWS 16 and 17, that was broken, with JAWS mislabeling text.
Track changes still doesn't work in footnotes, but there is still a huge improvement.
Except for track change recognition, I see no reason to progress past JAWS 17. You should be just fine with Word 2010. In fact, I would skip past Word 2013, which is a kind of kluge.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws, windows & MS Word combination

It's my understanding that JAWS 16, the last release, is the first JAWS that works with windows 10.
Hello,

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and
Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also,
is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws
18 regarding the capability of what I'm able to do?

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will
work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura

----------------------------------------------------------------------
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Mario

Ed, could you expand on why Word 2013 is a kind of kluge? and would you
suggest to use Word 2016, or stay with 2010, and why?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:24 AM EST

I would be reluctant to try JAWS 15 with Windows 10. FS claimed
substantial changes were made in JAWS 16 to make it work with Windows 10.
JAWS 18 has its problems, but JAWS 18 did, for the most part, fix the
screw-ups in track change recognition in JAWS 16 and 17.
It isn't completely fixed yet, but at least one can tell when something
has been deleted and something has been added to the main body of text.
In JAWS 16 and 17, that was broken, with JAWS mislabeling text.
Track changes still doesn't work in footnotes, but there is still a huge
improvement.
Except for track change recognition, I see no reason to progress past
JAWS 17. You should be just fine with Word 2010. In fact, I would skip
past Word 2013, which is a kind of kluge.

It's my understanding that JAWS 16, the last release, is the first JAWS
that works with windows 10.
Hello,

I will be getting a Dell laptop with an I5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and
Windows 10 Pro with the plan to stay with Jaws 15 and MS Word 2010.

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also,
is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will
work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.

Thank you,
Laura

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named
recipients above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by
applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

If this is for work I would stick with win 7. The learning curve and added expense of jaws 18 aren't worth the pain you will go through with win 10.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Only problem is that in three years, Windows 7 will no longer be supported.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 9:58 AM

If this is for work I would stick with win 7. The learning curve and added expense of jaws 18 aren't worth the pain you will go through with win 10.

Yes, and hopefully in 3yres, win 10 accessibility will improve and Jaws will be more stable. I have frequent pauses and crashes right now on two different machines.
Office 2013 runs better on my win 7 machine with Jaws 18 than it does on win 10. I have win 7 on my business machine and win 10 on two other machines...

On 5/7/2017 10:02 AM, Bill White wrote:

Bill White

I agree with Bill, might as well get with the program and learn Windows 10 which really is not a big learning curve in my opinion from Windows 7. Yes, you need at least Jaws 16 upgraded to the latest version, but once again, eventually you do have to upgrade and maintaining a Jaws home software maintenance agreement for $100 or $120 every two years in my opinion is not that big of a burdon, most people spend more than that on coffee in a couple months.
I have Windows 10 Creator's update running on a 5-year old laptop and also on a more or less brandnew fairly high-end laptop and don't experience any of the frequent crashing issues you mention, Randy, in fact, currently I experience more problems on two of my Windows 7 computers at work which goes to show that whether one has issues or not depends hugely on each individual situation and installation. Overall I would say Windows 10 is faster and more stabil than Windows 7 any day.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:35 AM

Yes, and hopefully in 3yres, win 10 accessibility will improve and Jaws will be more stable. I have frequent pauses and crashes right now on two different machines.
Office 2013 runs better on my win 7 machine with Jaws 18 than it does on win 10. I have win 7 on my business machine and win 10 on two other machines...

Bill White

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Randy Barnett

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Office 2013 is a kludge, to me, because it seems to be thrown together with features that are no longer even close to being uniform across the applications and with changes that don't make sense.
For instance, in Word's spell checker, JAWS no longer consistently lands on the misspelled word, and reading the word-in-context fails most of the time.
More often than not, I end up using the alt+shift+l option to list misspellings.
In addition, to select a correct spelling option, one simply presses the letter "c," not alt + c. In Outlook, however, one still presses Alt+ the appropriate letters, e.g., "c" for correction and "g" to ignore.
Why would the commands have changed between the two applications unless pieces were thrown together without regard for consistency?
The ribbon options have also changed for no apparent reason. Now, using track changes, the various display options have, mostly, nonsensical names. The terms are less descriptive, but they do pretty much the same things. The legal blackline functionality has now changed for no explicable reason. Instead of comparing the current document against another one, one has to compare two independently saved files. This adds keystrokes or mouse clicks for no reason.
I don't have Word 2016. So, I cannot comment on it. I would hope, however, that with three additional years, some of the more stupid quirks would be fixed.
I fear, however, that even more stupid ones were introduced.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 9:56 AM

Ed, could you expand on why Word 2013 is a kind of kluge? and would you suggest to use Word 2016, or stay with 2010, and why?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:24 AM EST

I would be reluctant to try JAWS 15 with Windows 10. FS claimed substantial changes were made in JAWS 16 to make it work with Windows 10.
JAWS 18 has its problems, but JAWS 18 did, for the most part, fix the screw-ups in track change recognition in JAWS 16 and 17.
It isn't completely fixed yet, but at least one can tell when something has been deleted and something has been added to the main body of text.
In JAWS 16 and 17, that was broken, with JAWS mislabeling text.
Track changes still doesn't work in footnotes, but there is still a huge improvement.
Except for track change recognition, I see no reason to progress past JAWS 17. You should be just fine with Word 2010. In fact, I would skip past Word 2013, which is a kind of kluge.

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if this combination will work well together? Also, is there a huge difference between Jaws 15 vs Jaws

I work from home and want to make sure that I have a setup that will work well for at least several years without major problems or issues.

Thank you,
Laura

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Mostly I am having issues with Office but that may just be the fact that it is version 2013... and one of my computers is running windows 10 version 16188.100 so there bound to be bugs...

On 5/7/2017 12:22 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I agree with Bill, might as well get with the program and learn Windows 10 which really is not a big learning curve in my opinion from Windows 7. Yes, you need at least Jaws 16 upgraded to the latest version, but once again, eventually you do have to upgrade and maintaining a Jaws home software maintenance agreement for $100 or $120 every two years in my opinion is not that big of a burdon, most people spend more than that on coffee in a couple months.
I have Windows 10 Creator's update running on a 5-year old laptop and also on a more or less brandnew fairly high-end laptop and don't experience any of the frequent crashing issues you mention, Randy, in fact, currently I experience more problems on two of my Windows 7 computers at work which goes to show that whether one has issues or not depends hugely on each individual situation and installation. Overall I would say Windows 10 is faster and more stabil than Windows 7 any day.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:35 AM

Bill White

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Randy Barnett