problems with gmail

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

Hello everyone,

Hope you are staying warm.

Since I upgraded to windows 10, I am now having difficulty navigating in gmail. Everything seems different and there seems to be more links to things that I really do not need or understand. Example, “social” plus several more links that aI can’t seem to remember.

I have previously gone through the instructions on the JAWS guides page. Are there newer instructions?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Barbara H.

Soronel Haetir

Did you switch to the basic html interface? Other than that I am not
aware of anything that needs to be done to make the gmail site usable.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 03:05 pm, Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@...> wrote:
Did you switch to the basic html interface? Other than that I am not
aware of anything that needs to be done to make the gmail site usable.

 That is consistent with what I've observed recently as well.

In case they're needed, here's Google's Help Page for Opening and Using Gmail in Basic HTML View.

Brian

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

I think I may have done that. Should I be using standard?

Barbara

Barbara,

          Basic HTML view is far, far, far more screen reader friendly.  The Google Help page I posted the link to actually mentions the Basic HTML view as being best for use with screen readers.

          If you have Basic HTML view up already then specifics about the weirdness that's occurring will help to ferret out what's going on.

Brian

David Moore

Hi,
I use Gmail all the time, and basic HTML works great for me as well. Have a great one.

Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2016 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: problems with gmail

Barbara,

          Basic HTML view is far, far, far more screen reader friendly.  The Google Help page I posted the link to actually mentions the Basic HTML view as being best for use with screen readers.

          If you have Basic HTML view up already then specifics about the weirdness that's occurring will help to ferret out what's going on.

Brian

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

                I think I have switched to the HTML view, however; at the bottom of the page it says “link” standard view and then the next line says, “vertical line HTML view”. Does this mean I’m on the HTML view? For some reason, this is confusing me.

Appreciate your help.

Barbara

Soronel Haetir

Near the bottom of GMail pages I have the following (note I use the
jaws' screen layout setting rather than the default simple, which
preserves how lines appear on the screen. If you use simple layout
the same text should appear but the pieces will likely be placed on
more than one line)

Gmail view: standard | basic HTML   Learn more

The "Standard" and "Learn More" are both links, the fact that "Basic
HTML" is not a link tells me that is the currently selected choice.

On 1/25/16, Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@embarqmail.com> wrote:
I think I have switched to the HTML view, however; at the
bottom of the page it says "link" standard view and then the next line
says,
"vertical line HTML view". Does this mean I'm on the HTML view? For some
reason, this is confusing me.

Appreciate your help.

Barbara

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

How do you set it to have the "JAWS screen layout setting."

Thanks for all your help.

Barbara

Soronel Haetir

Go to settings manager (jaws+6)
type "layout" in the search box and then go down to "Select layout"
Hit space to cycle between simple and screen layout
Hit alt+f4 to dismiss the settings manager, it may come back with a
window asking you if you want to save changes, answer yes if you get
such a message.

On 1/25/16, Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@embarqmail.com> wrote:
How do you set it to have the "JAWS screen layout setting."

Thanks for all your help.

Barbara

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

David Moore

Hi,
You are on standard view, because the HTML would not be a link. Press enter on that link and then you will be in standard HTML. Have a great one.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 5:38 PM

                I think I have switched to the HTML view, however; at the bottom of the page it says “link” standard view and then the next line says, “vertical line HTML view”. Does this mean I’m on the HTML view? For some reason, this is confusing me.

Appreciate your help.

Barbara

David Moore

Hi,
Press insert + 6 on the numbers row to enter JAWS settings center. Then, press ctrl + shift + D to make sure you are on the default settings center. Now, type layout into the search field and down arrow once and you will hear simple layout. Just press space bar to change to screen layout to read the lines as they appear on the screen. Then, just press enter on the okay button to save the setting and you will be in screen layout on all HTML pages. Have a great one.