Topics

How To Get Rid Of Get Windows 10 Message

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever since, I receive the “get windows 10” message every few minutes or so.  I can exit out of the message  using alt F4, but the message re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don’t need to be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hello, Tom and all. Here is what someone posted a while back as to how to get rid of the "Get Windows 10 message".

How To Turn Off Windows10 Update Message In Windows7

Go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back you
will need to hide the update and not install it.

To Hide the update:

updates need to be set to download but let me install them that way
when they are downloaded you should have a new updates in the task tray that you can click on and then you tab over to important updates Press enter on that to bring up the list of downloaded updates. down arrow through the list till you find the kb:3035583
update. Then uncheck the update with the Space Bar, and then right mouse click on it.

you can then tab to the ok button and
press enter on the install button if there's other updates to install.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Darran Ross

Here's another solution that I've used myself and it worked a treat. I'm sure the original poster on another list won't mind me passing it on.

Hello Everyone.

Recently, people have been asking me how they can disable windows 10
icons and upgrade files from being downloaded to their systems and
Microsoft nagging them to upgrade. it should be an option, not under
handed tactics by microsoft to download files to your system. certain
users have also reported that the get windows10 icon has been affecting
productivity with certain apps. here's a quick way to permanently
disable the upgrade until you wish to reenable it and take advantage of
microsoft's offer.

first, download the following program and click save, do not click run.
you will need to save the file in case you need to upgrade at a later stage.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GWX_control_panel.exe

After you've saved the file, click on it to launch it. the license
agreement will be displayed. click on i accept and continue. You will
see various buttons on the interface. If you see a disable windows10
upgrade option, click on it to disable the various programs and icons
that are running as part of the windows10 upgrade. when you run the tool
in future, it will give you the option to enable the upgrade as opposed
to disabling it. the program does offer other options to clear the
windows update cache, but you may not need them and they should only be
used as a last resort to remove windows files. If you do decide to clear
the windows update cache and downloaded windows10 files, your update
history will be reset and the windows update screen will show that you
have never previously installed any updates. updates you have hidden
will also have to be rehidden. for more information and a full
description of what the program does and how it works, visit the
author's page at:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

all the best,

Mo.

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever since, I receive the “get windows 10” message every few minutes or so.  I can exit out of the message  using alt F4, but the message re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don’t need to be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Melissa Stott

I went to download this tool, and it says that the address is not valad.

[...]

Mario

the problem with this is, if your windows update is set to automatic and recommended updates are checked, the get windows 10 nag will be reinstalled, regardless if it is hidden. Microsoft is despritly urging users to upgrade, and they have the means to unhide what has been hidden, even change the status of an update from optional to recommended or important at will.

so download the gwx control panel program (I recommend the portable version, not the installer), unzip it, run it, and enter on the option to disable the get windows 10 app. if you should want to get windows 10, reenabling is possible. just run the program again and enter on enable the get windows 10 app.

gwx control panel:

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever
since, I receive the “get windows 10” message every few minutes or
so. I can exit out of the message using alt F4, but the message
re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don’t need to
be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tom Behler

Thanks Bill.

I’ll give this a try.

I’m a bit confused as to why I must initially go through the first step, and later hide the update when it comes back again, but I’ll cross that second bridge when I get there.

Thanks again!

Tom Behler

[...]

Thanks, Darran.

I’ll keep this handy as another resource tool, should the problem arise again.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

Pat Byrne

Tom,
My non-solution is to not close the message. Then it's still there, but doesn't take focus from where you left it.
Hope this helps.
Pat ByrneAt 07:51 AM 1/23/2016, you wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever since, I receive the "get windows 10" message every few minutes or so. I can exit out of the message using alt F4, but the message re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don't need to be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mario:

I thought automatic updates had been disabled on this computer, but now, I
think things have somehow changed since I did the Malware Bytes scan
yesterday.

Will just have to keep watching this.

Again, it is very annoying to say the least.

Dr. Tom Behler

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever
since, I receive the "get windows 10" message every few minutes or
so. I can exit out of the message using alt F4, but the message
re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don't need to
be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Adrian Spratt

I recently uninstalled the Win10 notification and ensured it won't come back. So far, so good. The steps below explain exactly what I did. the uninstall instructions come from the indicated website. The instructions for hiding (which essentially means removing) it from Windows automatic updates follow. A friend and I worked them out together.

Two parts. First from
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

Uninstalling a Windows Update is surprisingly easy, as long as you know its name. This update is called KB3035583 so we can use the command line to delete it with a single command. Begin by opening the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges (right-click the Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator). Run the command prompt window with Win key-r. Type or copy:
WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583
Follow the on-screen prompts, and when complete type exit to close Command Prompt.

To hide Windows Updates from installing it again:
Go to Windows Update via Windows search and press enter.
Tab to "Change settings" and press enter.
Check the third item down, something to the effect of "Do it myself." Tab to OK.
Tab to something like "Critical update available" and press enter.
If the file is there, right-click and down arrow to hide. Press enter, then OK.
Tab back to "Change settings." Select "Automatic." Tab to OK.
Alt-F4 out of the dialog.

Yesterday, I ran malware bytes on my home Windows 7 PC, and ever
since, I receive the "get windows 10" message every few minutes or
so. I can exit out of the message using alt F4, but the message
re-appears again soon thereafter.

How can I get rid of this message?

Personally, I find it not only annoying, but intrusive!

I do plan to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point, and don't need to
be constantly reminded of its availability!

Sorry for the little rant there, but this is really aggravating!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 12915 (20160123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Melissa,

Make sure there are no spaces at the beginning or end of the link:

If necessary copy / paste it into your Run dialog & press enter.  This is a direct download link so after pressing enterchoose save.
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

I went to download this tool, and it says that the address is not valad.

[...]

I will second the vote for using GWX Control Panel, whether as a portable standalone program or as in installed program.  Here's the User Guide.  I believe the installed version does ongoing active monitoring whereas the standalone version will require you to re-run it every time another GWX installation occurs through Windows Update.

The gentleman who created GWX Control Panel has been pretty assiduous, and quite fast, at picking up the various Windows Update KB numbers that need to be blocked to keep GWX [Get Windows X (Ten)] from installing.  It's not that the manual technique of uninstalling various specific KB number updates doesn't work, but you have to keep up on them and Microsoft keeps bundling GWX in different updates.  In addition, turning off automatic updates can be problematic in its own right, and with GWX Control Panel you can avoid having to do that.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

The method I described maintains automatic updates after a single operation. It also saves having to download another piece of software. It is about as easy as it gets.

[...]

Thanks so much.  It worked this time.

[...]

           I suggest you haunt the geek forums such as Bleepingcomputer or GeeksToGo and then make your assertion again.  It is not factual, and many people have posted on those forums complaining about the re-emergence of GWX after having used the technique you recommend.

           I suggest GWX Control Panel because, so far, it's been the only thing that has been being adequately updated to keep catching the latest updates that repackage GWX with them.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

Brian, did you read my post? It is factual, and it has spared me from getting Win10 notifications ever since I removed the file. I think you’re confusing my post with someone else’s. I’ve come across nowhere else these instructions for how to stop the notification from reinstalling. I wouldn’t care, but I believe the instructions I gave would save others on this list a lot of time and annoyance, so for you to characterize the post as “not factual” is less than unhelpful.

For anyone else interested in the method I described, here it is again:

[...]

To those considering GWX Control Panel:

The user guide link is: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html   [The original name of this program was GWX Stopper]

The portable stand-alone (non-installed) version download link is:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GWX_control_panel.exe

The installed version download link is: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GwxControlPanelSetup.exe

Edited

Adrian,

        I'm not going to argue with you.  You simply haven't been hit by the latest repackaging of GWX, and it has occurred, in what Microsoft has deemed to be a critical update.  What you propose is not completely ineffective, by any means, but it does occasionally allow Microsoft to sneak something through, and many have reported this on multiple occasions on Bleepingcomputer.  Here's the link to the Windows 10 Support Forum, which is where most people who have Win7, Win8, or Win8.1 have turned for help on this.  The number of threads complaining about the reappearance of GWX through "sneaky means" are legion, and a search on "GWX reappear" or "GWX remove" turns up scads of them.  Do not be surprised if you eventually end up with GWX again, and through no direct fault of your own.  Microsoft is being, to put it mildly, aggressive about getting GWX on, or back on, every machine that they can.

        What's interesting to me is the difference in experiences people are having with GWX.  I have it running on a Windows 7 laptop, Windows 7 desktop, and Windows 8.1 laptop in my household.  If we get a direct pop-up notification on any of these more than once per week that's a notable exception.  Others, such as Tom Behler her and many others elsewhere report that it's nagging on an almost hourly basis.  I would love to know what triggers the difference in behavior.

Brian

Maria Campbell

I did something with hiding that get w10 kb3035583 update, and so good so far, I haven't been bothered by it.

<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10-support/>,
which is where most people who have Win7, Win8, or Win8.1 have turned
for help on this. The number of threads complaining about the
reappearance of GWX through "sneaky means" are legion. Do not be

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell

Be patient with God: Be patient with yourself: Be patient with others.

Mario

another instance of Microsoft's aggressiveness is when it's time to check for windows updates and you're immediately encouraged to get windows 10 when you're not wanting to upgrade. then you have to get into the optional updates to hide the one to get windows 10, then find that it pops up again when you check for windows updates next month or during an out of cycle release of an update.