F123.org.

Tim Ford

This screen reader accessibility project is the subject of this week’s Eyes on Success podcast.  Has anyone used the service?

Tim Ford

Maria Campbell

How can anyone know what it's all about?
I don't think I heard anything about English?

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell

Be patient with God: Be patient with yourself: Be patient with others.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tim and Maria. I went to f123.org, and I didn't see any link for English either. What language is this? Sounded a little like German to me.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12910 (20160122) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12910 (20160122) __________

http://www.eset.com

Dave...

Portuguese. You can use Ding to translate the entire page.

Dave Carlson

Hi, Tim and Maria. I went to f123.org, and I didn't see any link for English
either. What language is this? Sounded a little like German to me.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
How can anyone know what it's all about?
I don't think I heard anything about English?

On 1/22/2016 7:22 AM, Tim Ford wrote:
This screen reader accessibility project is the subject of this week’s
Eyes on Success podcast. Has anyone used the service?
Tim Ford
--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Be patient with God: Be patient with yourself: Be patient with others.

database 12910 (20160122) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 12910 (20160122) __________

http://www.eset.com

Nermin

Hi,

actually, no translation is needed, here is their English page:
http://f123.org/en/
I wonder why I had to google that, since there seems to be no language selection available on the Portuguese front page.

Regards,
Nermin

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 07:16 am, Nermin <voy44@...> wrote:
there seems to be no language selection available on the Portuguese front page.

 Nermin,

           There is actually a language selection on the page, but based on my experiences with pages that have multiple language versions it is a bit peculiar.  Most that I've ever dealt with have what looks like a series of small flags across the top of the page that I think of as "buttons" that correspond to the language you want to have displayed.

            On the f123.org main page there is a drop down menu that's positioned over on the right that, when you hover over it shows the link http://f123.org/# in the status bar and that corresponds to the page in Portuguese and also shows a dropdown list that includes the languages English, French, and Spanish (with French an Spanish written in their respective native languages, of course).

Brian

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. I couldn't view any of these buttons with JAWS and Internet Explorer.
[...]

Edited

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:45 am, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
I couldn't view any of these buttons with JAWS and Internet Explorer.

 Time for an e-mail to Freedom Scientific Technical Support - support at-sign freedomscientific.com.

It's getting harder and harder for them to keep up with the changing trends in web coding.  It's also awful for those of us who are sighted tutors because there's a trend toward making objects appear to be something that they're not.  The dreaded link button that looks like a button (and is meant to) to those who can see but is actually a link as far as JAWS and the actual mechanism of action is concerned.

There are three objects located to the right side of the page, one appears to be an edit box for subscribing to their e-mail and a search box (but the language in that remains Portuguese in those even after the rest of the page is shifted to the chosen language) and the language chooser dropdown directly below those.

I should have mentioned before the direct links to the pages in languages other than Portuguese:

English:  http://f123.org/en

French:  http://f123.org/fr

Spanish:  http://f123.org/es

If you change the language to other than the default then the list includes Portuguese and notes that it's Brazilian dialect.

Maria Campbell

The sad thing about this is that it is supposed to be a project for accessibility, and the web page is not accessible.
I keep saying, one step forward, three steps back with technology.

Time for an e-mail to support@freedomscientific.com.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

If you go to the English language version, you'll see a series of comments on the homepage, and in one they acknowledge accessibility problems brought to their attention by users and what they've done about them. So they seem to be receptive to hearing about the problems people here are experiencing.

[...]

Tony

If you can't find where to send notice of a problem I wouldn't hold out much hope of any assistance.

Using jaws and IE11 I can find no place to select a language.

Let us know if they ever make their site accessible.
Tony

[...]

No need to despair. Nermin posted the address for the English language version a little while ago:
http://f123.org/en/

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:00 am, Tony <tony@...> wrote:
If you can't find where to send notice of a problem I wouldn't hold out much hope of any assistance.

 Well, they do have a "Contact" link.  But what's really interesting is that they list their e-mail as information at-sign f123.org on that page, elsewhere, in one of the images they show info at-sign f123.org.

However, at the bottom of the current first post on the English language page they say, "If you encounter any difficulties or want to participate with our team and users offering suggestions, asking questions, or sharing your experiences with F123 Access, please join our Google Group. To join, simply send a blank e-mail message to:

F123-Access-English+subscribe@...

In case the above mailto link gets semi-redacted by the groups.io software, it is F123-Access-English+subscribe at-sign GoogleGroups.com

Brian, who gets the high irony regarding inaccessibility on a site about accessibility

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

After going to the English link provided, I noticed that F123.org and F123 Access is for Firefox. So, I'm going to try the site with Firefox and see if accessibility is better.
[...]

OK. I went to f123.org with firefox, and it doesn't show the language drop down menu in Firefox either.
[...]

Chris Chaffin

I think everybody is going to the wrong web address. For the site that makes the accessible plug in for Firefox, it is:
http://www.f123access.com

Hope this helps,

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony" <Tony@K5TWZ.Com>