Continued Jaws Crashing

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

It seems that I have narrowed the Jaws crashing issue on my current Windows 7 computer down to the following sequence of events.

Jaws seems to crash when I exit Microsoft Word while Outlook is also open.  Once this happens, Jaws will stop speaking, and I can’t re-activate Jaws either via the usual Alt Control J shortcut, or the Windows R command.

The only way I can re-start Jaws is to do a hard shut-down of the computer.

My sighted wife says Jaws looks like it is still up on the screen, but she can’t do anything to re-activate it either, short of manually shutting down the computer.

Does anyone have a sequence of steps to get out of this issue?

Does anyone know if FS is aware of the problem??

I did not have this problem prior to  updateing to Jaws 18.

To clarify, I’m using Office 365 here, with Word 2016 and Outlook 2016.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

George Gray

If I may jump in here and say that since I took the latest JAWS
upgrade along with this new/great W10 upgrade Creators Edition(LOL)
JAWS has stopped and sent itself quite a few Error Reports, which it
has not done for years and I am not doing anything different than I
did prior to these recent upgrades.

And, why, oh, why did JAWS dis-continue the only real good thing
they've done for many an upgrade and take away the sound ducking
feature.

Go figure, eh?

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

How about if you do the following command, then try to restart JAWS:

INSERT plus WINDOWS KEY plus F4, then try to restart JAWS.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

It seems that I have narrowed the Jaws crashing issue on my current Windows 7 computer down to the following sequence of events.

Jaws seems to crash when I exit Microsoft Word while Outlook is also open.  Once this happens, Jaws will stop speaking, and I can’t re-activate Jaws either via the usual Alt Control J shortcut, or the Windows R command.

The only way I can re-start Jaws is to do a hard shut-down of the computer.

My sighted wife says Jaws looks like it is still up on the screen, but she can’t do anything to re-activate it either, short of manually shutting down the computer.

Does anyone have a sequence of steps to get out of this issue?

Does anyone know if FS is aware of the problem??

I did not have this problem prior to  updateing to Jaws 18.

To clarify, I’m using Office 365 here, with Word 2016 and Outlook 2016.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Mario

the reason I heard why the audio ducking was removed from the latest
JAWS 18 was because the Creator Update changed something that allowed
JAWS to provide the audio ducking feature. it might come back, who knows
when.

[...]

Bill:

Even though the problem occurred three times earlier today, I have yet to replicate it here this evening.

However, I’m sure it will be a matter of time until the problem recurs.

I’ll keep the Windows, Insert, F4 command in mind.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

[...]

Well, I spoke too soon.

I just had the Jaws crash again, and your suggested command worked.

Thanks!

At least I can re-start things now if need be.

Tom Behler

[...]

Hi, Tom. I just wanted to make clear that it is:

Hold down Windows and Insert. Then press F4.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Yes, I used the Windows-Insert-F4 command back a few months
ago when I was having JAWS crashes. I am not having them
right now, thank the Lord.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

I've had tons of problems with both updates having released as well. I'm not sure if JAWS or Windows is the culprit. At the moment, I'm on a computer where the Win update has not installed yet, so we shall see. JAWS crashes every single time I open Firefox.

-Alyssa

[...]

Dave...

Tom,

This happens to me, as well. I usually have Outlook open, and find that when leaving MS-Word to some other application, I run the risk of JAWS locking up.

I have NVDA available , and I can launch it (takes about 30 seconds to do so) and get past the log-jam. Very irritating. My theory is that JAWS is messing with some memory space that is used by MS-Word, and causing the crash.

Dave

It seems that I have narrowed the Jaws crashing issue on my current Windows 7 computer down to the following sequence of events.

Jaws seems to crash when I exit Microsoft Word while Outlook is also open.  Once this happens, Jaws will stop speaking, and I can’t re-activate Jaws either via the usual Alt Control J shortcut, or the Windows R command.

The only way I can re-start Jaws is to do a hard shut-down of the computer.

My sighted wife says Jaws looks like it is still up on the screen, but she can’t do anything to re-activate it either, short of manually shutting down the computer.

Does anyone have a sequence of steps to get out of this issue?

Does anyone know if FS is aware of the problem??

I did not have this problem prior to  updateing to Jaws 18.

To clarify, I’m using Office 365 here, with Word 2016 and Outlook 2016.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

JAWS is not alone here. The latest NVDA suspended the feature for the same reason.

Ted

[...]

Jonas Voll

Continued Jaws Crashing!
I think this is a Jaws 18 bug, I have had to reinstall Jaws 17 on Windows 7!
Doesn't look like it's a Windows 10 problem!
What do you all think?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I have jaws 18 on win 7 running office 2010. I have no issues, jaws hasn't crashed for a long time.
Regards
Tom Bisset

[...]

david

Hello Tom;
My wife was experiencing the freezing up issue in word,
I did the following whitch seemed to help.

1, open MSWord,
2, alt+f=file, T=options,
3, now, use up arrow key and find general,
4, tab and make sure,
Show mini toolbar on selection check box,
Is unchecked,
Also make sure the next 2 check boxes are unchecked.

Hope this helps.

       Statistics are like a bikini.  What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital.

[...]

You are probably quite correct with your analysis, Dave.

This is why I’ll send an error report into FS when prompted to do so.

I really should get NVDA on this machine as an alternative screen reader.

Tom Behler

[...]

We are running Office 2016!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

Thank you. You gave helpful instructions, which I followed
to the T. Now maybe the deep freeze is over! I hope!

Mine did not do it all the time, but, just this morning, it
did it once.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Disagree, Jonas. JAWS 16 and 17 also exhibit the crashing, especially when
Word is active. Right now trying out solution proposed by David Whitehead.

Dave

I think this is a Jaws 18 bug, I have had to reinstall Jaws 17 on Windows 7!
Doesn't look like it's a Windows 10 problem!
What do you all think?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the
blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation,
education and research.

[...]

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with
your domain userid and password.
'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution
or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in
error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies
of this message from your computer system.

Michael Mote

JAWS crashing with Word 2016 is definitely not just with JAWS 18. I think the only difference I notice is that when it does lock up, using Windows 10, you have to reboot the system in order for JAWS to work properly again. Sometimes, I use narrator to help me restart. Sometimes, even that doesn't work, and I have to resort to rebooting the computer by powering the system off, which I hate to do!

[...]

Tony

I rarely have Word or Outlook active and Jaws 16 crashes several times daily on Windows 7. It occurs in FireFox, Chrome, EdSharp, Notepad, and just about every program. It also happens frequently when task switching with Alt-Tab.

I'm just starting with Jaws 18 on Windows 10 and have had Jaws crashes there as well.

Tony