Thunderbird best practices?

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails, it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips would be great.

Nate

Mario

Nate, when I launch TB, I wait until I hear the sound for incoming
messages that have downloaded into the inbox (about 10 to 30 seconds),
then I press tab twice which lands me on the treelist of folders, of
which the inbox is usually first, then I press tab to review the new
email that came, and pressing the enter key opens it so I can read it
with JAWS or NVDA, and once I'm done, I press the escape key to close
it. (I have TB set to open a new email in a separate window). I am then
returned to the list of messages, back to the one I just red.

to my knowledge, there isn't any third party scripts for JAWS that
enhance the use of TB, but it would be nice if someone would. however, a
basic set has been included with JAWS already. the problem is that there
are some instances where scripting would be helpful, like when using the
spell checker, if a word is detected, the misspelled word is not
automatically red, the JAWS cursor has to be used to find out what it
is. additionally, it would be useful if there was a JAWS keystroke to
read the misspelled word in context so you can decide what the word
should be. the keyboard shortcuts like alt i to ignore, alt r to
replace, alt s to send, etc still work, and you can still press the tab
key to and press the space bar on the choice of action you want to perform.

but since TB now updated to version 52, using the JAWS cursor is no
longer possible. and I suspect there are other instances that have been
curtailed that I don't use or know about.

there are most likely other instances where scripting would be useful to
effectively deal with using TB that I didn't mention or know about.

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time
Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom
Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question
that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts
for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails,
it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the
sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down
to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips
would be great.

Nate

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

Thank you very much. I have gotten that far with opening a message. So, as
of now can one still no longer arrow down in the list view to see the
message sender information? I read something about thread view, does this
change this break? How would I set the list view to thread view? Also, there
are a couple different sets of scripts out there for TB, but one is payed
and I typically like to teach students how to maneuver around with the
native JAWS keystrokes when available.

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time
Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom
Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question
that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts
for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails,
it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the
sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down
to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips
would be great.

Nate

Maria Campbell

You may have the message preview pane open, and you need to not have it open.  Pres f8 to close it, then you should hear the information you need for each message as you down arrow from one to the other.

lucky1inct@...
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.
On 4/23/2017 10:35 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails, it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips would be great.

Nate

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

Thank you, I will give it a try. As of now I changed my view to threaded list view and this is helping. On my threaded list view the latest messages show up at the bottom of the list, can this be changed to have the latest messages show up at the top?

Thanks for the assistance,

Nate

On 4/23/2017 9:14 AM, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

You might want to download an older version of TB to keep the list view working as before, till VFO decides to fix the problem now occurring.

I am using an older version myself, not v52.

lucky1inct@...
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in small things, it does not exist at all.
On 4/23/2017 10:35 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails, it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips would be great.

Nate

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

Thanks, I will see what my client has right now and go from there.

Nate

On 4/23/2017 9:20 AM, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

I am using it right now and it is not so painful. How does one search for a message?

[...]

Press shift control plus f.

On 4/23/2017 12:23 PM, Poppa Bear wrote:

[...]

I don't believe downgrading to an earlier version works because I tried
and navigating to the message list still makes JAWS silent.

lucky1inct@gmail.com
Faithfulness does not begin with large tasks-if it is not present in
small things, it does not exist at all.

On 4/23/2017 10:35 AM, Poppa Bear wrote:

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time
Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom
Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a
question that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and
download scripts for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the
list view for the emails, it does not read the email information, I
have to tab once to find the sender information and then shift tab
back to the list view and arrow down to the next message and do the
same to find out sender information. Any tips would be great.

Nate

Maria Campbell

Whew! I'm glad I stopped the upgrade before I got it then.

lucky1inct@gmail.com

On 4/23/2017 1:08 PM, Mario wrote:
[...]

to change to threaded view, press alt v, s, t. and to make the sort
ascending, it's alt v, s, a.

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time
Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom
Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question
that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts
for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails,
it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the
sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down
to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips
would be great.

Nate

.

Mario

Maeria, does version 52 have to be uninstalled, and if so, will my
existing emails also be gone?
and what version do you recommend?

[...]

I have v45.8.0. I never updated to v52, because I stopped it in the options menu not to update automatically.

lucky1inct@gmail.com

On 4/23/2017 9:24 AM, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

Well, the thread view does work, but you seem to lose the view of the options that one finds after tabbing past sender in list view.

On 4/23/2017 10:10 AM, Maria Campbell wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this, kind of neat learning a new email client after using G-mail and Outlook for so many years.

On 4/23/2017 10:11 AM, Mario wrote:
to change to threaded view, press alt v, s, t. and to make the sort
ascending, it's alt v, s, a.

I have a client that I am about to teach JAWS to and he is a long time
Thunderbird user. I myself am not. I am about to listen to the Freedom
Scientific seminar on JAWS with Thunderbird, but beyond that, a question
that I have is, will it be best or most common to try and download scripts
for Thunderbird? Also, right now when I am in the list view for the emails,
it does not read the email information, I have to tab once to find the
sender information and then shift tab back to the list view and arrow down
to the next message and do the same to find out sender information. Any tips
would be great.

Nate

.

Marsha <marcatony@...>

Hi

  I downgraded to 45.8.  It works until the computer is scanned.  Then Thunderbird52.0 comes back again.

Marsha

On 4/23/2017 6:07 PM, Poppa Bear wrote:
[...]

Peter op t Hof

Little observation:

NVDA gives no problem with the new Listbox procedure.

Jaws is a problem here.

I have desided to remove Windoweyes from my computers and start again with testing the Cobra Screenreader.

Http://www.baum.de

All the best,

Peter.