From: Kimsan [mailto:kimsansong@...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:36 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: pages in word

My university scanned a chapter of my book so while I was reading it, I kept hearing two different page numbers.  I’m wondering is one number the word document, and is the other number the actual page of the textbook?

If I’m correct on this that would be helpful as when reporting/doing homework and whenever using a passage from the textbook, I must include the page number of where I obtain that info. Thoughts?

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

So, the second number is written in the text?  I will check that out tomorrow morning.  My previous college I didn’t have that experience, I was like um, it was page 20? When it really was not.

Thank you!

Yes. A way to tell which is which is to pause JAWS when you hear a number. If it’s written in the text, you know it’s from the book. If it’s a Word document page number, you’ll be able to tell when you up-arrow back to the previous line. JAWS will verbalized the preceding number as shown in the word document and not the book.

My university scanned a chapter of my book so while I was reading it, I kept hearing two different page numbers.  I’m wondering is one number the word document, and is the other number the actual page of the textbook?

If I’m correct on this that would be helpful as when reporting/doing homework and whenever using a passage from the textbook, I must include the page number of where I obtain that info. Thoughts?

Adrian Spratt

Not exactly. I didn’t explain well enough. Try it this way. If you can use character or word navigation and have JAWS read the number, it’s in the book. If you can’t find it with JAWS, chances are it’s part of the Word document. The way I double-check if it’s a Word document number is to pause JAWS, arrow up and listen for a page number. If I’m right, JAWS will verbalize the preceding Word page number. Arrow down once, and JAWS will verbalize the next Word page number, the one that you heard initially.

Strange how hard it seems to explain this. I should add that I’m assuming you have Word set to print.

[...]

Ann Byrne

Many of our text books, when we press JAWSkey+pagedown, report something like "formatted page number 6, page 12 of 125". I believe this is because the text page number is 6, but there were 6 pages before page 1--title pages, table of contents, all those Roman numbered pages that aren't the page of actual text.

Yes. A way to tell which is which is to pause JAWS when you hear a number. If it's written in the text, you know it's from the book. If it's a Word document page number, you'll be able to tell when you up-arrow back to the previous line. JAWS will verbalized the preceding number as shown in the word document and not the book.

My university scanned a chapter of my book so while I was reading it, I kept hearing two different page numbers. I'm wondering is one number the word document, and is the other number the actual page of the textbook?
If I'm correct on this that would be helpful as when reporting/doing homework and whenever using a passage from the textbook, I must include the page number of where I obtain that info. Thoughts?

judith bron

What command pauses jaws?

Yes. A way to tell which is which is to pause JAWS when you hear a number. If it’s written in the text, you know it’s from the book. If it’s a Word document page number, you’ll be able to tell when you up-arrow back to the previous line. JAWS will verbalized the preceding number as shown in the word document and not the book.

My university scanned a chapter of my book so while I was reading it, I kept hearing two different page numbers.  I’m wondering is one number the word document, and is the other number the actual page of the textbook?

If I’m correct on this that would be helpful as when reporting/doing homework and whenever using a passage from the textbook, I must include the page number of where I obtain that info. Thoughts?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

The Control Key pauses JAWS.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12892 (20160119) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12892 (20160119) __________

http://www.eset.com

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

It was late when I asked that question and I was also doing homework lol.  Sorry for being dense haha.

After going back to it last night, jaws did say page 10, and it showed the word page and the number 10. All is well now.

Thank you.