JAWS 18 and Calculator

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

I saw a number of posts on this list earlier about the calculator.  Indeed, in Windows 10, it is hidden.  With a little sighted assistance, however, we found it and pinned it to the task bar, which was a good solution.

And, a huge thanks to the discussion about using the Windows Key and numbers keys to jump to applications.  I had forgotten about those commands entirely.  Now, I use them all the time.  They are fantastic!

Well, I installed JAWS 18 yesterday.  ALAS!  The calculator that worked so well in JAWS 17 appears to be completely broken in JAWS 18 or, if not broken, is implemented so badly as to be useless.

It is so good to be able to keep old versions of JAWS around so that when Freedom Scientific screws up, as they did with calculator, one can go back to a prior version.  The calculator works great in JAWS 17.  It seems unusable in JAWS 18.

I. Edward Marquette

Direct Dial:  816.502.4646

Mobile:  816.812.0088

Google Voice:  408.692.5640

Facsimile:  816.960.0041

Kutak Rock LLP

2300 Main Street, Suite 800

Kansas City, MO 64108

ed.marquette@...

Thank you.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I have the latest JAWS18, with Windows 10,,and I use the calculator regularly. For me it is not broken.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, I just type calc in the search box and it pops up. I just tried it with Jaws 18 and it works fine for me. There may be a problem with your Jaws install... try doing a repair on Jaws...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Edward. I did something a little different with the calculator. I put Calculator into the search box by pressing the WinKey. When Calculator came up, I pressed the Applications key, and arrowed down to “Open File Location”. After pressing ENTER, System32 opened, and I was taken directly to the calc.exe file within system32. Once there, I was able to go to the New submenu and create a shortcut on my desktop. So I don’t even need to go to the Task Bar. The calculator is on my desktop.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

[...]

That’s handy.  I know when I just do a search for calculator, unlike Wordpad, which was immediately available, my install of Windows 10 sent me to some app store, and I certainly was not going to buy something that has been free with windows for well over a decade.

When someone at Tech Support clicked on something she called a “Windows Box,” the calculator became immediately available.

I suppose I could put Calculator on the desktop, and that’s a good idea, but I’m having so much fun with Windows and the number keys that I don’t use my desktop shortcuts all that much.

I think I may, indeed, need to repair JAWS on Monday.  I cannot do it myself because I do not have administrative rights.  WHAT A PAIN!

There may indeed be something amiss with my install.  It refuses to recognize my Vocalizer Expressive 2.0 installs, and I’ve repaired them several times (I can repair them, but not JAWS).

With JAWS 18, as installed, the tab keys jump to a whole range of buttons, including buttons that apparently represent numbers.  I cannot, however, get to an edit box to enter numbers manually.  Again, there are no problems in JAWS 17.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I have JAWS 18, latest update. I also have Windows 10 and
just press the Windows Key and then C - VOILA, up comes
calculator. I use the qwerty numbers and symbols - works
like a charm, only way to go to figure my Visa figures.
They're not on my spread sheet right now.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

ed.marquette@kutakrock.com
<mailto:ed.marquette@kutakrock.com>

________________________________

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for
the named recipients above and may contain information that
is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected
by applicable law. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Soronel Haetir

Just because it is a windows store app does not mean that you have to
purchase it (or even download it). That simply means that it is
written to use a particular set of the .net framework that is portable
between regular computers, phones tablets etc.

Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com<mailto:Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Right now, I see no reason to put Calculator on my Desktop,
since all I have to do is press Windows-C to get it, then
Alt-F4 to get out of it and then I'm right where I was
before getting into Calculator.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I have to press the C key a couple of times to get the Calculator. First
comes Control Panel.
[...]

Instead of pressing C repeatedly, just press the Windows Key and immediately start typing the word Calculator. I doubt you have to type past the first 3 or so letters for it to come up. For me the first thing that comes up after "c" is Google Chrome, but as soon as I type the "a" calculator has focus and I can press enter to start the app.
Also, many keyboards have calculator shortcut keys. I'm using a Logitech MK710 and it has a calculator key on the very right at the same height as the Function keys. After the Print Screen, Scroll lock and Pause keys there is a gap and then a lone key off to the right and it brings up the calculator.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

I guess I have used it so much that all I have to do is
press Windows-C. I just did; it worked again.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

First I used to have to press ca, but since I've used it so
much, it gives me calculator as first choice.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hello all,

Have you tried assigning the calculator to a hot key. It sure is easier and
faster to bring up the calculator.

[...]

Gezim Rexha

Hello all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone give me some basic instructions how to use Calculator with JAWS? I have never used a calculator on my computer, and it would be helpful to me.

Best wishes,
Gezim

[...]

Hi, Gezim.
1. Open the calculator.
2. If you are using a desktop PC, turn on the NUMLOCK key so you can use the
number pad on the right side of the keyboard as numbers instead of as
arrows.
3. Enter the numbers like an equasion
Example: 3+7
4. Press the ENTER key. You will hear the result: 10.

That's all there is to it, if you only want basic calculations.

5. If you want more complicated calculations like memory+, tab to that
function, and press ENTER.

[...]

Hi, again, Gezim. The only other two things you might need to know (being
unfamiliar with a calculator) is that the star or asterisk which is the
shift of number eight, is the times function. The slash, which is the key
below and to the right of the semicolon, is the divided by function.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Bill, does that thing have a help file? I've never gotten around to playing with it in all the years I've used Windows. I used a spreadsheet, so I could have a hard copy if necessary.

Ted

[...]

No, it doesn't seem to have a help file, but if you use the TAB key, it is
pretty straightforward. Tabbing through the functions gives you a list of
functions, all the numbers, plus a menu where you can go to another
calculator such as:
Standard Calculator
Scientific Calculator
Programmer Calculator
Date Calculation Calculator
Volume Converter
Length Converter
Weight and Mass Converter
Temperature Converter
Energy Converter
Area Converter
Speed Converter
Time Converter
Power Converter
Data Converter
Pressure Converter
Angle Converter

[...]

Daggone, sounds like fun. SWL's should love the temperature converter. I think I know that equation, but it's been awhile. Time is a snap, if you know your relationship to 0 meridian, and allow for either summer or standard time.

Ted

[...]

I press Windows and then start to write Calculator, which
now comes up with C. Then I use the qwerty numbers, with
astiriks for times sign and slash for divided by - Windows
10 and JAWS.

Bye for now,

Carolyn