receive the training?

Stacey

Liz and Hope

Hi Stacey! My name is Liz, and I am a medical transcriptionist. There is
an e-mail list that I highly recommend you join because there are some great
people who will gladly give you feedback about the technology that they are
using for transcription. The list is called SightlessMt. To subscribe send
a blank e-mail with the word subscribe in the subject line to:
sightlessmt-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. I hope this will help you.

Liz Ulrich
and LD Hope

Jonas Voll

I hope you saved the email if you was told " I should drop their course because screen readers are not compatible"!
I think you need to contact NFB and see what they say!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Stacey Bruton
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Medical Transcription and Editing

Good Afternoon,

I am enrolled in a medical transcription and editing course. I have emailed the company offering the course with some questions concerning tech support. I told them I use a screen reader. I was told I should drop their course because screen readers are not compatible with the editing software. The software is Mmodal. I was wondering if there were any medical transcription and editing people on this list who can tell me what they use that is accessible with JAWS. Also, how did they receive the training?

Stacey

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

I'm not doing anything here other than making an observation (and one I wish I didn't have to make) but there is a lot of custom software out there still being written today where accessibility is not being taken into account in any way.  That warning about incompatibility of the specific software this course uses may not be false.

I've just gone through working with an application used in public schools all over the country called Power School and to say it's an accessibility nightmare is an understatement of epic proportions.  It's sad that this is still an issue (particularly in the case I mention because it's a web-based application) but it is, and the folks who run the program are doing you a favor if what they are saying is accurate.

I also had a former client who was taking a medical transcription class online, so accessible training and software definitely exists.
--
Brian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I had to give up a job about 20 years ago for the exact, same reasoning. Evidently, not all medical software is screen reader compatible.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:37 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am enrolled in a medical transcription and editing course. I have emailed the company offering the course with some questions concerning tech support. I told them I use a screen reader. I was told I should drop their course because screen readers are not compatible with the editing software. The software is Mmodal. I was wondering if there were any medical transcription and editing people on this list who can tell me what they use that is accessible with JAWS. Also, how did they receive the training?

Stacey

gracie jackson

I certainly agree with this advice to submit to NFB, if this is a course that you would like to pursue.  Maybe this has been told to other individuals who accepted their advice. 

Although screen reader accessibility may exist, it does not exist with this organization.  Stand strong!!

Gracie Jackson

On Thursday, April 20, 2017, Jonas Voll <jonas.voll@...> wrote:
I hope you saved the email if you was told " I should drop their course because screen readers are not compatible"!
I think you need to contact NFB and see what they  say!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita,  KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:37 AM

Good Afternoon,

Stacey

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@...'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Unfortunatly it seems that this is not at all uncommon for VI peple today... Here is a link to a article about a new screen sharing program that is accessible... I know a lot of people have been denied jobs because they couldn't use this type of program...

Based on an off-list request I went back into my records to see what organization offered the medical transcriptionist training program for the blind or visually-impaired and it is The Lighthouse of Houston.  Their training page is here:  http://www.houstonlighthouse.org/education-programs/

I was also sent an MS-Word document at the time that outlines the skills a student must have prior to enrolling in the medical transcriptionist program.  You can download that from:   https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOa2NncEIyZnpXUXc
--
Brian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

N K Shackelford

Stacey:
Have you joined sightlessmt group?
If so, do send them a message and you will get responses from several MTs who use accessible software.
If you want to contact me off list, my e-mail address is
Nance

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Stacey Bruton <staceybruton@...> wrote:
Good Afternoon,

I am enrolled in a medical transcription and editing course. I have
emailed the company offering the course with some questions concerning
tech support. I told them I use a screen reader. I was told I should
drop their course because screen readers are not compatible with the
editing software. The software is Mmodal. I was wondering if there
were any medical transcription and editing people on this list who can
tell me what they use that is accessible with JAWS. Also, how did they
receive the training?

Stacey

--
N K Shackelford
--Walk on faith and trust in love - Michael Reed--

Lynne Moore

Hi Stacey,
You don't say in your letter, but are you training with MMModal so you can work for them? If that is the case, I work for that company and we could chat if you like. My private Email is lynne57moore@gmail.com. Write me if you would like to chat.
Lynne

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:36 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am enrolled in a medical transcription and editing course. I have
emailed the company offering the course with some questions concerning
tech support. I told them I use a screen reader. I was told I should
drop their course because screen readers are not compatible with the
editing software. The software is Mmodal. I was wondering if there
were any medical transcription and editing people on this list who can
tell me what they use that is accessible with JAWS. Also, how did they
receive the training?

Stacey

Loreal <llavigna2@...>

Do you know if by chance your company might be hiring? I have been a working medical transcriptionist for over 10 years now, and a working legal transcriptionist for over 17 years. Recently I lost my 2 largest clients or one due to terminal illness and the other due to their own cost-cutting measures. 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8+.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/21/17 2:32 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: Medical Transcription and Editing

Hi Stacey,
You don't say in your letter, but are you training with MMModal so you can
work for them?  If that is the case, I work for that company and we could
chat if you like.  My private Email is lynne57moore@....  Write me if
you would like to chat.
Lynne