Jaws script for switching between applications

Tony Malykh

Hi all,

I am typically running several application: IE, CMD, Cygwin and Visual
Studio. I am looking for a keyboard shortcut to switch to a particular
application.

For example, I would like to have a keyboard shortcut that would
switch me to a cygwin window. I don't want to press Alt-TAB multiple
times and look for the right window in the list of running
applications. I am using braille display, and alt-tabbing takes too
long time. I switch applications often, and I am looking for more
effective way to switch between applications.

For example, I would love to have a script that would sweitch me to
the cygwin window no matter what application is currently active and
no matter how long ago I used cygwin the last time. Then I would love
to assign a keyboard shortcut to this script, something like
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C, for example. And I would have a peace of mind,
knowing that wherever I am, I can always switch to cygwin in just a
single keystroke.

Windows key + numbers. This is what I'm currently using. For example I
have Windows key + 2 switches me to IE. The problem with it is that it
is frustratingly unreliable. They only work about 80% of the times,
and for the remaining 20% they set the focus to the task bar.
Sometimes the success rate goes down even lower than 50%, at which
point I have to reboot my computer. I've had this problem on two
computers, one of which had a brand new windows. By the way, does
anyone else experience the unreliability of this shortcut, or only me?

Alt-tab is NOT what I'm looking for, since it switches to the last
used application. I would like to have one shourtcut for IE, another
for MCD and so on, so that whenever I want to switch to IE I would
press that shourtcut just once. Pressing Alt-tab multiple times
surely can switch me to any running app, but this way is too slow, I
am looking for a more efficient solution.

Insert+f10 is NOT what I'm looking for. The reason is the same as for
alt-tab: it requires finding the right app in the list.

Ctrl+Alt+Letter is NOT what I'm looking for. You can assign this type
of shortcuts in the properties of applications on the desktop. But
that would start a new application instead of switching to an existing
one.

So:
1. Is there a way to make windows key + number keyboard shortcut
more reliable?
Or:
2. Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to specific apps?
Maybe a jaws script or something?

And again, I would like to reiterate what I need. I whish I could
switch to cygwin with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C, and switch to internet
explorer with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I, and so on.

I am not afraid of hacking, so if there is either a jaws script, or
any other hacky script, that can switch me to a particular application
and that can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, please let me know.

I'm using the latest Windows 10 and Jaws 17.

Thanks
Tony

Peter Holdstock <ptrholdstock@...>

Hi. Regarding the windows key and number solution. Are the applications that you're wanting to use pinned to the taskbar? If not, could the reliability problem you're having with that solution be because if you haven't already opened the applications after logging onto windows, they won't already be in the taskbar and therefore won't have a number assigned to them and if you then open them in a different order each time, they would have a different number assigned to them as Windows numbers them according to the order they are pinned to the taskbar and then for any unpinned applications, the order that they are opened. Have you tried unpinning everything from the taskbar, then pinning each application back to the taskbar in the order that you'd like to use them. Then the shortcut numbers assigned to these applications should hopefully remain consistent.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Apr 2017, at 01:48, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Mario

Tony, if you have desktop shortcuts for the programs you want to use,
and shortcuts assigned to them, for example, cygwin is control+alt+c,
pressing the shortcut will switch you to that program, even if it's in
the middle of doing something. I don't know if this will work for the
command prompt. the only time I think it won't work for what you want is
if the program is a multi session program, meaning it can be used even
if it is open already.

have you tried this, and does it work for you?

I am typically running several application: IE, CMD, Cygwin and Visual
Studio. I am looking for a keyboard shortcut to switch to a particular
application.

For example, I would like to have a keyboard shortcut that would
switch me to a cygwin window. I don't want to press Alt-TAB multiple
times and look for the right window in the list of running
applications. I am using braille display, and alt-tabbing takes too
long. I switch applications often, and I am looking for more
[...]

.

Pablo Morales

If you add those applications to the taskbar, you will be able to bring each application pressing windows key + a number on the number row. For example if I have on my taskbar IE, firefox, outlook, excel, and word. If I press windows key + 1, then Ie will be on the top, if I press windows key + number 2 on the number row, then firefox will be on the top over Ie.
Thanks

[...]

Yes, the apps are pinned to the taskbar. Windows+digit shortcut works,
but it is not reliable. It works roughly 4 out of 5 times. That is my
problem.

Ctrl+Alt+Letter shortcuts open new window of Cygwin or other app. I
need a shortcut to switch to an already running window of Cygwin.

On 4/15/17, Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

so the control+alt+assigned letter doesn't bring focus to the running
program? it should.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I find this an interesting observation as on my Windows 10 laptop and all my Windows 7 desktops at my business the Windows Key + number is 100% reliable.
Have you tried to set up a shortcut key combination by going to the program's shortcut, go into the properties and set a hotkey?

[...]

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

use WinActivate: Take a look at this thread: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/40435-want-to-switch-to-a-program-with-a-keystroke/
Not sure if it works in win 10 though...

Tony Malykh

Ctrl+Alt+letter open a new window of Cygwin. I would like to switch
to an existing window instead of creating a new one.

On 4/15/17, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Below is an explanation of the various Windows Key+number shortcuts, you can add shift, control or alt or a combination of them to achieve various results. I have about 6 apps pinned to the taskbar and this is always 100% reliable for me:

Windows key + number Start the app pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the app is already running, switch to that app.
Windows key + Shift + number Start a new instance of the app pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + number Open a new instance of the app located at the given position on the taskbar as an administrator
Windows key + Ctrl + number Switch to the last active window of the app pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Alt + number Open the Jump List for the app pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Tony did you look at the link I gave you? It does exactly what you are looking for...

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, Just to clarify: Auto Hot Keys is a free scripting program that has the "WinActivate" command that does exactly what you want. Here is the webpage for the WinActivate useage: https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/WinActivate.htm

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

From the page I linked to earlier: WinActivate Activates the specified window (makes it foremost).

John Martyn

The best way to accomplish this is using insert 10. This shows you a list of running applications. Insert F11 shows you a list of all running processes.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:06 AM Randy Barnett <randy@...> wrote:
From the page I linked to earlier: WinActivate Activates the specified window (makes it foremost).

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

In the OP he states he wants to assign a specific key to each program he runs frwqently... And he lists all the common methods as not what he wants...

Tony Malykh

All:

I did some investigation, and I figured out that my problem only
happens when I release the windows key *very* quickly after the
shortcut. If I hold the Windows key just a fraction of a second
longer, then switching apps becomes reliable. I guess I can claim this
to be a temporary workaround, but I am a fast typer, so it is going to
irritate me forever that I'd have to slow down my app switching
because of a silly bug in Windows. However, that also explains why I
seem to be the only person in the whole world who suffers from this
bug.

Also I am now working on an autoit script. If it works, then it would
solve my problem by detecting the moment when the focus is stuck in
the "task switcher" window, and then sending some keys to the taskbar
to reactivate the right window again.

Randy,

I was thinking about autohotkey. After some time I realized that it's
going to be pretty hard to write scripts in it that are as convenint
as Windows+digit hotkey.

With Windows+digit hotkey you can switch to any Cygwin window if you
have multiple Cygwin windows. And I do have multiple Cygwin windows,
typically 4 or 5. If I want to switch to the fifth Cygwin window I
just hold the windows key and then press the digit 2 five times in a
row. Implementing similar functionality in autohotkey is not
straightforward if possible at all. Even if that is possible in
autohotkey, then it's going to be difficult to figure out the order of
Cygwin windows. If possible. The order of the Cygwin windows in the
taskbar is specified by the order these windwos have appeared in the
system. So in order to track the order of Cygwin windows I'd have to
write some script that runs constantly and tracks all the visible
windows in the system. That's going to be quite a project...

As I mentioned above, I'm now trying to solve the problem with autoit,
which is in my understanding somewhat similar to autohotkey. But I'm
not trying to define the shortcuts, but rather detect the situation
when the bug happens and trying to fix it on the fly. Well see if it
works.

Sieghard,

Thanks for your suggestion. I really like the Windows+Ctrl+digit
shortcut, I'm going to use it a lot.
But unfortunately the original Windows+digit shortcut is not reliable
on my both computers. As I mentioned before, I figured out that you
need to release the windows key very quickly for this bug to
reproduce. You can try to press the windows+digit shortcut really
fast, as fast as you can in fact, and then perhaps you'll reproduce it
on your computer.
The Ctrl+Windows+digit shortcut doesn't seem to have this problem no
matter how fast I press it.

Thanks
Tony