Accidentally deleted Jaws18, now install stopps...it says that it is already installed?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 with Jaws 18.
While in the C: drive tree, I accidentally deleted the program files folder.

I tried to install Jaws 18. While the files were being copied, clicks were heard, I got the message that the program was already installed. The message advised me to uninstall the program from the add remove programs list.

This could not be done. While Jaws 18 was highlighted, there was a chirping warbling noise. The message was that install could not be found.

I noticed that the "program files" folder was there but it was not complete. There was no executable jfw.exe.

I deleted the Freedom Scientific folder from "program files". I then emptied Recycle bin and rebooted.

Installing Jaws 18 again copies files and then tells me that the program is already installed.

Is there a hidden folder with the setup files? Is it possible to find it and delete or run something to continue the setup?

How should I proceed?

Peter T.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Peter,

Do you mean to say you deleted the entire Program Files folder?
If so Jaws will not be the only application affected and it is my guess that as we say here, you are up sh** creek in a wire canoe without a paddle. It would be my guess you will have to reinstall Windows and all your applications.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

If you deleted a folder, look in the Recycle Bin, & you should be able to restore it from there.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.

[...]

Whoops sorry, didn't read the whole message.  Try doing a repair of Jaws, & see if that'll help.
[...]

Hi,

Yes I did delete the entire "program files" folder. I forgot about the recycle bin.

On this desktop, I have Win10 working. Also NVDA and Narrator allows me to navigate. I also have FireFox and Thunderbird and most of the other apps are in the "program files (x86)" folder.

I cannot do a repair on Jaws if there is no Jaws installed. Unless you can do it with the Jaws 18 downloaded file or DVD.

The question is there a hidden folder with the Jaws 18 setup files that the wizard said was being copied to the hard drive. After the copy progress clicks finish, I'm told that the program is already installed. I cannot force it to continue the installation.

The "add remove programs" list has Jaws 18 on it, but it is not responsive. It cannot find the program to do the uninstall.

There may be a hidden file folder with a program that would allow a forced install.

My laptop has Win 10 and Jaws 18. Can I just copy the "Freedom Scientific" folder from the laptop to the desktop?

Maybe I can install Jaws 16 or 17.

I'm waiting for the Win 10 version 17 to give me the ability to run it on a USB penn drive with Narrator.

Peter T.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

If you have a backup of your data or can make one I think it would be much easier and less potential issues down the road to reinstall Windows.
Maybe if the Program Files folder is still in the recycle bin you could restore it and be OK, otherwise I think you'll run into problems.

[...]

Gerry Ellis <gerry.ellis@...>

Hi,

If you have the downloaded instalation file or the JAWS CD you can do a repair. For instance, if the download file was called J18.0.exe and it was in your c:\ folder, then type
"c:\temp\j18.0.exe" /type repair

Note putting the folder in quotes. This is only necessary if the folder name includes spaces,b but it is no harm doing it wherever the instalation file is.

If you have the CD, I presume you would point to the install.exe or setup .exe (whatever is on the CD's root directory).

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,
How will you know when you get there?

[...]

Below is the way FS tech support now recommends to repair Jaws:
From: Adrian Spratt
Hi. I'm writing to explain the new JAWS repair method I learned today from VFO. Previously, I'd taken the file of the currently running JAWS build, put it in the C drive, copied the exact wording into a Windows run dialog, etc.
this procedure failed twice for me today. VFO seems to know about this because when I called, they had me follow the procedure I'll detail below, and it worked. I don't know why it is different, but somehow it is. So, here goes.

First, make sure you have the .exe file on your system for the JAWS build you're running. You can download it from the FS/VFO website.

Unlike before, it doesn't seem to matter where you keep it on your system.

Close all running apps.

Highlight the JAWS .exe file.

Press shift-F10.

Arrow up to "Copy as path." Press enter.

Open the run dialog with Windows key-r.

Press control-v, then spacebar, then / (the forward slash key), then the word "type", spacebar, and then the word "repair."

Let me try that command line a different way. After pressing control-v followed by the spacebar, continue with /type repair

Then press enter.

The process went more smoothly than any JAWS repair I can remember, and it went all the way to the end.

I hope this is useful.
Adrian
[...]

Thanks for the repair tip.
I knew about that run command but I thought you had to have Jaws running.
Sometimes you need someone else to set you straight.

So far my Windows 10 seems to be ok. Probably some minor adjustments will need to be made.

Peter T.

On 4/8/2017 5:21 PM, Gerry Ellis wrote:
[...]

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Peter,