Problem With Convenient OCR

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Why doesn’t your PDF open in Adobe? Not sure if this will fix the issue, but you might give it a try.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Feliciano G

This feature only works with adobe reader.

Feliciano

On Apr 6, 2017, at 10:22 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Why doesn’t your PDF open in Adobe? Not sure if this will fix the issue, but you might give it a try.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Dave...

Tom,

You need to open that PDF in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat first. Then of course it will announce that it is blank. Then you can use the convenient OCR with the "D" document option.

Dave

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Sieghard:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I use Adobe Acrobat BC to read PDF files, and when I open the file, Jaws says “alert, empty document”.

This is why I assumed the file I wanted to read was a scanned image file of some sort.

I have confirmed with a sighted individual that the document is very graphic in nature.

It is a document listing specifications for a ham radio antenna tower.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Why doesn’t your PDF open in Adobe? Not sure if this will fix the issue, but you might give it a try.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Mario

tom, that should be insert+spacebar, o, then d, not e.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient
OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR.
I'm told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and
got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for
OCR, and D for document.

I'm using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don't recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Does it not work with Adobe BC as well?

If so, I guess that’s my problem.

Tom Behler

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot  be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Mario

what's Reader BC? there is a Reader DC. is that what you meant, DC?

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws
convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable
format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient
OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file,
and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for
OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

That's what I thought I said:

Insert or Jaws key, plus space bar, followed by o and then D as in delta.

Tom Behler

tom, that should be insert+spacebar, o, then d, not e.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient
OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR.
I'm told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and
got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for
OCR, and D for document.

I'm using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don't recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Yes, it's acrobat reaeder DC.

I was not interpreting Jaws correctly, but confirmed D C as in Delta Charley via my Jaws cursor.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tom Behler

what's Reader BC? there is a Reader DC. is that what you meant, DC?

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws
convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable
format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient
OCR. I’m told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file,
and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for
OCR, and D for document.

I’m using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don’t recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Mario

Sorry about that, for some reason JAWS decided to pronounced it as e
like in echo.

Insert or Jaws key, plus space bar, followed by o and then D as in delta.

Tom Behler

tom, that should be insert+spacebar, o, then d, not e.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient
OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR.
I'm told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and
got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for
OCR, and D for document.

I'm using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don't recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Tom wrote "D" for "Delta" not "E" for echo.
Tom, you should report his to Jaws, I remember very early on when this first came outy that this happened to me occasionally and I think the Jaws people should have the file you are trying to recognize so they can check why it isn't working.
Sounds like it's nothing personal, would you mind sending me the file as I'd like to try it on my system to see if I gett he same result. You can send it to me directly using sieghard@live.ca.

Regards,
Sieghard

tom, that should be insert+spacebar, o, then d, not e.

I am trying to read a scanned PDF image document using the Jaws convenient OCR feature, but cannot get the file to convert to a readable format.

If I open the PDF file in Internet explorer, and then try convenient OCR.
I'm told that OCR cannot be started.

I saved the PDf file, and then tried convenient OCR on the saved file, and got a script error message.

When I access convenient OCR, I use spacebar and Jaws, followed by O for OCR, and D for document.

I'm using Jaws 18 here with Windows 7.

I don't recall having this problem with earlier versions of Jaws.

Am I missing something?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Sieghard:

I just sent the file to your private e-mail address.

Please let me know what you find.

Tom Behler