Help with menus in Win 10

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

So, I cant get to any of the view menu items other than options... I cant really use the menus at all actually. I am trying to set the folder details for group by, detail view and not to sort by device or category...

Soronel Haetir

It's no longer a menu, its a ribbon.

To get to the view group first hit alt, then use the arrow keys until
view is selected then hit space.
You then hit space on the element you want to activate, use arrows to
select the choice you want active and then space again to activate.
You can then arrow

On 3/31/17, Randy Barnett <randy@...> wrote:
So, I cant get to any of the view menu items other than options... I cant
really use the menus at all actually. I am trying to set the folder details
for group by, detail view and not to sort by device or category...

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

OK, If I select group by or sort by I get a list of attributes with checks by them... But I cant deselect items and there isn't a "none" option like in win7. Basicly I don't want items grouped by anything and I only want items sorted by name... And I want items listed in "detail" view ... I am trying to do this in "This PC".

OK, I figured it out... I really really don't like Ribbons!!! :( Guess I had to learn sometime...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Not much of a choice since I don't see them going away any time soon.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 10:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Help with menus in Win 10

OK, I figured it out... I really really don't like Ribbons!!! :( Guess I had to learn sometime...

Sharon

There are no menus anymore; all those darn ribbons!
Sharon

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 11:45 PM
Subject: Help with menus in Win 10

So, I cant get to any of the view menu items other than options... I cant really use the menus at all actually. I am trying to set the folder details for group by, detail view and not to sort by device or category...

Sharon

You might want to get the windows ten textbook from Access Technology Institute; it's not cheap, but it's the only thing that got me a bit functional again!
Sharon

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 12:21 AM

OK, If I select group by or sort by I get a list of attributes with checks by them... But I cant deselect items and there isn't a "none" option like in win7. Basicly I don't want items grouped by anything and I only want items sorted by name... And I want items listed in "detail" view ... I am trying to do this in "This PC".

Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard

--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Sharon

Brian, thanks!

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 9:22 AM

--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Sharon,

You're welcome.   If you happened to download that document right after seeing the link you might want to download it again.  When I took a quick look I realized that I never did a "short and sweet" cheat sheet arrangement of the most common navigation keystrokes in one place.  They were all buried in the narrative about how to do the navigation in File Explorer.

I've now added a dedicated section at the end that deals with the primary navigation keystrokes.  If people want to remove the descriptive text that I've included beyond "the nitty gritty function" that list will be even shorter.
--
Brian

~ William James

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

They just take getting used to.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:11 AM

brian albriton

I'm not fond of the ribbon structure either but compensate for it by keeping a list of keystrokes that I may use on a regular basis., plus some tips about basic ribbon navigation.
These things I usually don't remember so I keep some documents with the navigation tips and keystrokes for easy reference.
After a while of course, some become ingrained into the fingers.
Some of the best tips I've been given on this list. Also, google can be your friend.
Just type what you want to know as a question in google, and you'll get some relevant results.
Google and this list are actually two lobes of my brain.

All the best, Brian

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 9:28 AM

They just take getting used to.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:11 AM

Sharon

Brian, can you resend the link, so that those of us who did download it early can go get it again?

I can’t figure out how to get to the group messages.

Sharon

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 10:47 AM

Sharon,

You're welcome.   If you happened to download that document right after seeing the link you might want to download it again.  When I took a quick look I realized that I never did a "short and sweet" cheat sheet arrangement of the most common navigation keystrokes in one place.  They were all buried in the narrative about how to do the navigation in File Explorer.

I've now added a dedicated section at the end that deals with the primary navigation keystrokes.  If people want to remove the descriptive text that I've included beyond "the nitty gritty function" that list will be even shorter.
--
Brian

~ William James

Sharon,

Here's the link again.  I would file a copy of this e-mail so that you have direct "click to download" access if you need it later or want to forward it to share with someone else.

--
Brian

~ William James

OK, I have a question here. With this link, like many others, I get this message to I want to open or close button. No matter what I try, I can't manage to get into a link like that. I have tried just hitting Spacebar. I have tabbed around to Options and things. I can't figure what it takes to open the door to a link like this. It does not happen to me with all links, or I would think it was my system or me. It probably has to do with security. Thanks for any suggestion.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:21 PM

Sharon,

Here's the link again. I would file a copy of this e-mail so that you have direct "click to download" access if you need it later or want to forward it to share with someone else.

Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOTUI1dDhDaHpwTk0>
--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. <kramlinger.keith@...>

Well, it worked for me when I right arrowed on the phrase that asked if I wanted to open or save. It was then necessary to choose Save or Save As, and perhaps severl other options.

Hope this works for you as well.

Keith

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:02 PM

OK, I have a question here. With this link, like many others, I get this message to I want to open or close button. No matter what I try, I can't manage to get into a link like that. I have tried just hitting Spacebar. I have tabbed around to Options and things. I can't figure what it takes to open the door to a link like this. It does not happen to me with all links, or I would think it was my system or me. It probably has to do with security. Thanks for any suggestion.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sharon,

Here's the link again. I would file a copy of this e-mail so that you have direct "click to download" access if you need it later or want to forward it to share with someone else.

Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOTUI1dDhDaHpwTk0>
--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

That link is, truly, a direct download link and it appears that the exact behavior is determined by what version of Windows you're running and/or what settings have been tweaked in your web browser.

By default under Windows 10 (and, if I'm recalling correctly, even Windows 7) when I activate that link I get a File Explorer style Save dialog box that allows me to navigate to where I want to save the file, then I can choose Save or Cancel.  In all my web browsers I have them set up to ask me where I want to download something rather than shooting it straight to the Downloads folder because it saves me the step of having to cut and paste things I want to save elsewhere.  They just get saved where I want them to be from the get go.

How a link like that behaves is directly dependent on a number of factors that neither I, nor anyone else who provides the same direct download style link anywhere, has under our control.
--
Brian

~ William James

Keith told me what to do to get the link open. Thanks. I have read and saved the information for future perusal.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sharon,

--
Brian

~ William James

Thanks, Keith. That worked just fine!

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.
Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 2:14 PM

Well, it worked for me when I right arrowed on the phrase that asked if I wanted to open or save. It was then necessary to choose Save or Save As, and perhaps severl other options.

Hope this works for you as well.

Keith

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:02 PM

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sharon,

--
Brian

~ William James

Jonas Voll

Hey Sharon!
Can you give some exammpels of that book and what you found useful?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 7:59 AM

You might want to get the windows ten textbook from Access Technology Institute; it's not cheap, but it's the only thing that got me a bit functional again!
Sharon

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 12:21 AM

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@...'
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.