Adding Favorites In Firefox

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

A while back, I imported internet favorites from Internet Explorer to Firefox using the add-on tool called plain old favorites.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Since I now am using Firefox as my main internet browser, I’m interested in adding some additional favorites to my favorites list.

I can find the tab that says “add favorites”, but when I attempt to do this, nothing happens.  Jaws says nothing, and I appear to get a blank screen.

Am I missing a step here, or is there a different way to add new favorites to my favorites list in Firefox?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

        The whole "Favorites" bar and related bits from that add-on are set up such that they access the Favorites list from IE itself and make it accessible inside of Firefox.  The Add-On was created quite a while ago and both IE and Firefox have been updated many times since then.  The latest version for the version history shown on that page is for version 1.3, designed to work with Firefox 22 and the current version of Firefox is 43.0.4.  I am not surprised that some of the features are not working anymore and my guess is that unless the developer is willing to make a new revision to work with the current versions of Firefox, IE11, and Windows that you're not going to recover the functionality you're looking for.

         You could always write to Alex Sirota and see if you get any response.

        Otherwise my advice to you would be to start using the Firefox Bookmarks system exclusively.  You can import them into Firefox Bookmarks directly from IE.  See this Firefox Help Webpage on Importing Bookmarks from another browser.

Brian

Mario

Tom, fyi, favorites in firefox are called bookmarks.
did you try pressing control+d as you would in IE? and getting to the bookmarks from the menubar is alt, b, and arrow down.
I believe first letter navigation is possible to get a specific bookmark.

On 1/16/2016 11:09 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.

A while back, I imported internet favorites from Internet Explorer to
Firefox using the add-on tool called plain old favorites.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Since I now am using Firefox as my main internet browser, I’m interested
in adding some additional favorites to my favorites list.

I can find the tab that says “add favorites”, but when I attempt to do
this, nothing happens. Jaws says nothing, and I appear to get a blank
screen.

Am I missing a step here, or is there a different way to add new
favorites to my favorites list in Firefox?

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gerald Levy

No, you cannot add web pages to the IE favorites list in Firefox.  You can only add them in IE and then access them in Firefox through Plain Old Favorites.  In Firefox, if you want to add a web page as as a favorite, it will be added to the Bookmarks list, not the Favorites list.  So if you want to use Firefox as your primary browser, you will have to deal with two lists of favorites: the favorites list from IE and the bookmarks list from Firefox itself.

Gerald

A while back, I imported internet favorites from Internet Explorer to Firefox using the add-on tool called plain old favorites.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Since I now am using Firefox as my main internet browser, I’m interested in adding some additional favorites to my favorites list.

I can find the tab that says “add favorites”, but when I attempt to do this, nothing happens.  Jaws says nothing, and I appear to get a blank screen.

Am I missing a step here, or is there a different way to add new favorites to my favorites list in Firefox?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

john.falter

Hello Tom:
Note: Bookmarks are known as Favorites in Internet Explorer.

How do I bookmark a page?

It's easy — just click the star!

To create a bookmark, click the star in the toolbar. The star will turn blue and a bookmark for the page you're on will be created in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. That's it!

On 1/16/2016 11:09 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

Hello, everyone.

A while back, I imported internet favorites from Internet Explorer to Firefox using the add-on tool called plain old favorites.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Since I now am using Firefox as my main internet browser, I’m interested in adding some additional favorites to my favorites list.

I can find the tab that says “add favorites”, but when I attempt to do this, nothing happens.  Jaws says nothing, and I appear to get a blank screen.

Am I missing a step here, or is there a different way to add new favorites to my favorites list in Firefox?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Mario

Brian, can you post Alex's email?

On 1/16/2016 11:22 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/import-bookmarks-internet-explorer>.

Brian

Tom Behler

Mario:

When I used

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

to import my favorites from internet explorer to firefox, they were stored
in favorites, not in bookmarks.

I just checked, and nothing appears in Firefox undder bookmarks.

Brian has given me some suggestions for directly importing IE favorites into
Firefox bookmarks, so I may give that a try.

Will see what others have to say as well.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Gerald:

Is there a way I could remove all of my favorites that I originally imported into Firefox from IE, and then, just recreate the new favorites from there using plainoldfavorites?

I guess I could delete them one at a time from Firefox, and start over again, but I’m just wondering if there might be an easier way.

Tom Behler

[...]

There is a contact me link on the webpage Tom posted which opens a form.  His actual email address is not given.

Brian

Gerald Levy

No, I don’t think there is a way to accomplish this.  The favorites list is connected to IE, and the bookmarks list is connected to Firefox.  There is no way to add items to the IE favorites list from Firefox, nor any way to add items to the FF Bookmarks list from IE.  Plain Old Favorites was really designed for IE users who want the ability to access the favorites list from Firefox as theirsecondary browser.  I use IE 11 as my primary browser and only use Firefox with Webvisum to solve image captchas, although now that I have signed up with Rumola and can solve image captchas with IE, I will probably use Firefox even less frequently.

[...]

Cristóbal

Works perfectly fine for me.

If you’re a Jaws user, then after pressing enter on the “Add to Favorites” option in the favorites menu, you’ll have to alt+tab out of the window and back into it. For whatever reason, Jaws has always stayed silent for me at this part. After that though, it works as one would expect. You can tab through the different fields. Bookmark name and then list of folders you wish to save it to.

I’m using JFW 17 and Firefox 42. Firefox is my default browser and this is how I’ve always added bookmarks to my favorites list. In fact, I’ve got my favorites folder saved to my Google Drive folder so any change I make on one PC is synchronized on my other machine.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. I also use PlainOldFavorites in Firefox. Adding favorites in Firefox works the same way it does for Internet Explorer. All you need to do is to go to the page you want to make a favorite for in Firefox. Once you are there, Press Alt plus the letter A. Then press the Enter key, and the favorite is automatically added. The thing which may be confusing is that the favorite will appear at the bottom of the favorites list in Firefox instead of being in alphabetical order. If you want the list to be in alphabetical order again, you must go to the PlainOldFavorites AdOn in the AdOns manager in Firefox, Click on the PlainOldFavorites Adon. It will then say Read Only. Tab to the options for that option. Select the option "Sort By Name". If the option says it is checked, press the space Bar to uncheck this option, then press the Space Bar to re-check the option. Tab to the OK button, and press Enter. Then Press Alt plus W to close Firefox. When you open Firefox again, the favorites will appear in alphabetical order.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12880 (20160116) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12880 (20160116) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, again, Tom. If you continue to have trouble with Firefox and PlainOldFavorites, you may call me at the following phone number:
714-835-6295.
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Bill,

I’ve been trying to install Plain Old Favorites today, but I just can’t get it to work. I have the .exe in my downloads folder, but MS doesn’t recognize the file type. I was taken to a recommendation to install Free Viewer, which handles various file types that apparently include Firefox add-ons and extension, but I can’t get Free Viewer even to download, never mind install.

The Free viewer webpage is here:

http://www.freeviewer.com/

Any better ideas? Also, When I open Firefox add-ons, all I get is a list of recommended add-ons. I can’t get beyond that point.

For the record, I have Firefox 43.0.4, Win7 and JAWS 17.

Bill White billwhite92701@...

[...]

It's not an .exe file to begin with. it's an xpi file type.

[...]

Hi again, Adrian. PlainOldFavorites is an unsigned AdOn. For this reason, you must change your about:config file in Firefox to make it work. It only works in Firefox. To install the Adon, you must download it from the following link:

After this, do the following:

1.  Open Firefox 43 and in the address bar, type the below line as seen
with no spaces:
about:config
2.  You will get a Firefox warning saying: 'This may void your
warranty.' Click on  the button that says: 'I'll be
careful, I promise.'
3.  tab once to the list of 700 or so items and press the letter X. You
are looking for the below item:
xpinstall.signatures.required
4.  When this item is highlighted, press the context key or right click
and choose toggel or press T (same thing.)
5.  The highlighted value should change to false as in:
xpinstall.signatures.required;false
6.  Press Control-W to close the Firefox window and then relaunch it.
PlainOldFavorites should now work.

[...]

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Bill, I don't have the add-on you reference. Alt-A doesn't work for me.
However, Ctrl-D is the keystroke I use and then I can name the favorite; it
does have a default name, of course.

Les

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

A while back, I imported internet favorites from Internet Explorer
to Firefox using the add-on tool called plain old favorites.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Since I now am using Firefox as my main internet browser, I'm
interested in adding some additional favorites to my favorites list.

I can find the tab that says "add favorites", but when I attempt to
do this, nothing happens. Jaws says nothing, and I appear to get a blank
screen.

Am I missing a step here, or is there a different way to add new
favorites to my favorites list in Firefox?

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

signature database 12880 (20160116) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 12880 (20160116) __________

http://www.eset.com

Adrian Spratt

Bill,

I’ve followed your instructions and Plain Old Favorites is working. Thanks. However, two questions:

1.      Are there any potentially harmful consequences from making this alteration in the Firefox config file?

2.      When I open add-ons in the tools menu, I can’t get past the list of add-ons Firefox recommends to a list of my installed add-ons. Any ideas?

[...]

That's not a favorite, that's a bookmark. A favorite creates an actual Windows shortcut which resides under the Roaming folder in Windows7.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12882 (20160117) __________