Application key

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

david

Hello there;
If you want to use the applications key,
You may need to add the FNKey which is to the right of the ctrl-key on the left hand side.
This is on laptop's.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

Soronel Haetir

And it has been years since I have encountered a laptop that actually
has a proper application key. Rather than shift-f10 I end up remapping
the print screen key (totally different location but at least it is
still only one key).

If you can name a brand or line of full-sized laptops that still
include the application key I would be very interested.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Bot my old Acer laptop has one (it is about 5 years old) and I just bought a brandnew Asus Zenbook (the 15.6 inch model) and it has a working application key as well as a number pad on the right side just like a full-size keyboard. Only thing is that the Insert key (Jaws Key) on the NumberPad is the same size as all the other keys and not double wide as is usually the case on regular keyboards. It is actually under the 2 on the numer pad on this laptop since the key to the left of it (under the 1) is already the right arrow. This took a bit of getting used to with respect to pressing key combinations like Jaws Key+Up Arrow to read line or Jaws Key+Page Down etc. My thumb always seems to want to wonder off to the left onto the right arrow, but my muscle memory is starting to remember now.

Regards,
Sieghard

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of
true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Soronel Haetir

Thanks, I will definitely look at Acer the next time I am looking for
a laptop. My last couple laptops have been HP, I've been very happy
with them other than the keyboard quirks. Sad bit is, the physical
case for this one is slightly larger than my last laptop but the
keyboard is crammed into less space.

Actually, given how little I move around I have been thinking about
mounting a regular desktop keyboard on some type of board (plywood or
something similar) and just not bothering with the laptop at all. This
laptop doesn't even have proper mouse button keys (you are supposed to
be able to touch some area of the pad but I've never bothered figuring
that out) so I wouldn't even be missing out on that.

On 3/6/17, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:
[...]

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

In JAWS Version 16, there used to be a way to assign a function to the Print Screen key (an otherwise useless key).
The function was "Send Applications Key," and it was available in the Jaws Keyboard Manager.
ALAS! Along with stability, this feature died with Jaws 17.
With the problems I've been reading about in Jaws 18, it seems that the last stable Jaws version is 16. I try to use 17, but I find myself reverting back to 16 frequently.

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of
true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Thank you.

Soronel Haetir

I prefer doing the print screen remapping at the OS level rather than in jaws.

As for recent jaws versions, honestly, I have been happy with both 18
and 17 before that, maybe I've just lucked out.

On 3/6/17, Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...> wrote:
[...]

E-mail message.
Thank you.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Steve Griffiths

Hi Ed,

I just looked and this option is still there in JAWS 17 and 18. In 17 it's not assigned to a keystroke, but you can press Ctrl-A on it to put that right.
I wasn't aware of this feature, so thanks for bringing it to my attention - very useful!

Steve

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of
true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@...

Lee, Amanda * <amanda.lee@...>

Shift-F10 is equivalent to a dedicated Application-Key.

Regards,

Amanda Lee

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true
faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Ann Byrne

In most cases, the right click key will do the same things as the applications key.

At 08:50 AM 3/6/2017, you wrote:
Shift-F10 is equivalent to a dedicated Application-Key.

Regards,

Amanda Lee

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true
faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Lee, Amanda * <amanda.lee@...>

HP and most of the larger-sized laptops have incorporated number-key pads. Features such as how many keys are available for the keyboard as well as if a number-key pad is incorporated would be listed.

Regards,

Amanda Lee

You can generally find specifications for any model you're interested in by going to the site of the manufacturer as well.

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of
true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

I used to think that was true, but it is not. I agree that, most of the time, it is.
I have one particularly important application where, either one clicks a real mouse or presses an applications key. Shift + F-10 just does not work.
Plus, on a laptop keyboard, shift + F-10 is a slow and awkward substitute.

Shift-F10 is equivalent to a dedicated Application-Key.

Regards,

Amanda Lee

The directions are correct about the application key, but for some
reason the application key on many keyboards, mine included, does not
work. It does nothing. You can use shift plus F10 instead.

-Elaine

The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of
true faith is the end of anxiety. - George Muller

What Melania Wore When She Married Trump Will Shock You
trendingmoms.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58bcb4a537c8434a47b9bst02vuc

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Thank you.

If we're talking laptop machines, you also have the option of not disabling the mousepad but masking the part of the mousepad that causes pointer movement.

I do this routinely on the laptops my clients use by getting a reasonably substantial piece of cardboard (it need not be corrugated, something about the thickness of the back of a legal pad will do, or you could use rigid plastic, but that's harder to cut) and taping the left edge such that the flap can be opened like the cover of a book.  Since there are plenty of occasions where someone may seek out sighted assistance and most sighted folks cannot function without the mouse this makes "turning the mouse movement feature on again" virtually instant.

This allows the native left click and right click buttons to be available and accessible for their intended uses.  Many laptop keyboards don't have an applications/menu key since right clicking performs the same function.
--
Brian

    ~ Saul BellowTo Jerusalem and Back

Soronel Haetir

The problem with mouse clicks is that they occur where the mouse
cursor is, while the applications key triggers where the keyboard
caret is. I nearly always want the latter behavior,you can route one
to the other with jaws but that is an extra step. And the applications
key is something I use a couple dozen times a day, an extra step there
is not appreciated (much like I don't really appreciate the added
hassel of shift+f10 compared with a proper applications key).

[...]

     A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep.

    ~ Saul Bellow , To Jerusalem and Back
--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Soronel,

           You'll get no argument from me.  That being said, this is clearly a workaround, one of several.

            I haven't had a laptop with an applications/menu key for a while now and they seem to be becoming less common.  My partner's Toshiba Satellite C55t-A has one as did my much older Asus K50IJ, but not this HP 15-g035wm.

            This is one of the reasons I strongly encourage, virtually force, my clients to go out to brick and mortar stores when they're looking for a new computer so that they can spend a few minutes actually playing with the various models and making sure that the things they use, and use frequently in particular, are still present on the keyboard (though not necessarily in the same location) and that they like the touch of said keyboard.

             While one can pick tech specs based on intended use that's about as far as it goes.  So much about what makes a given computer comfortable falls into the category of je ne sais quoi.

--
Brian

    ~ Saul BellowTo Jerusalem and Back

Ann Byrne

Can another key be remapped to work as the applications key? How would a person do that????

Thanks,

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Ann:
A couple of years ago, this same thread bounced around. Someone gave excellent instructions on how to remap the useless PrintScreen key to act as an Applications Key in JAWS, using the Keyboard Manager.
That was before JAWS 17. I tried following the instructions from Jaws 16, applying them to Jaws 17. THEY DID NOT WORK!
Now, there may be a way to do the same thing inside the operating system or with a third party macro product; however, those of us working in a corporate environment CANNOT make those modifications, though we can modify JAWS scripts, which are themselves sometimes triggered by keystrokes, and those used to be conveniently connected with Keyboard Manager.
ALAS! Freedom Scientific appears to have killed that.
Of course, we just need to accept that as part of progress. Just think of all the benefits we gained with Jaws 17. <Sarcastic Sneer Deleted>