The big JAWS update question

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

So, I have been involved in two computers updating to the latest JAWS update with no problems. Before I continue I just want to get a feel for if any other people are experiencing problems such as the one described on the list. I don’t want to hit anymore update buttons if there is a high likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the frits. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile

The update should not cause you any issues.

It was very deeply tested before it has been released to the public.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Poppa Bear
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: The big JAWS update question

So, I have been involved in two computers updating to the latest JAWS update with no problems. Before I continue I just want to get a feel for if any other people are experiencing problems such as the one described on the list. I don’t want to hit anymore update buttons if there is a high likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the frits. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

All went smooth here. I should say, however, I never to the update but install from a fresh download link with full executable from FS site

Best,

Al

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:24 PM

Nate Kile

andy.tidwell

I updated yesterday when it came out and so far everything seams to be doing fine.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: The big JAWS update question

Nate Kile

Jesus dyed for us, why can't we live for him?

george b <gbmagoo@...>

I always download the exc. File and install that way and have no issues.

Also, I see that those who are having the issues are seems to be all running dell computers.

My sighted brother has a dell desktop newer model and always seems to have some dell related issue with a driver or two when a windows update is installed.

Sent: February 24, 2017 15:24

Nate Kile

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

I updated as well on an asus desktop. No problems.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of andy.tidwell
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:40 PM

I updated yesterday when it came out and so far everything seams to be doing fine.

Nate Kile

Jesus dyed for us, why can't we live for him?

Cristóbal

I spoke to FS support and they as I figured were stumped. What they did suggest and what I'll probably do is to grab the drivers off Dell's website and manually install them with a thumb drive since I for whatever reason am not even getting an internet connection even though I'm hard wired to the router. I'll deal with the internet thing later if I can get sound back first.

I may even run down to BestBuy and buy a cheap external soundcard just to see. So... Anyone have an suggestion on a cheap external sound card by the way?

I might even try giving Microsoft accessibility a call over  the weekend. The saga continues.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 3:53 PM

Also, I see that those who are having the issues are seems to be all running dell computers.

My sighted brother has a dell desktop newer model and always seems to have some dell related issue with a driver or two when a windows update is installed.

Nate Kile

A JAWS update can not cause your system to stop playing sound.

Something else might be goind on your machine.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Crist?bal
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:09 AM

I spoke to FS support and they as I figured were stumped. What they did suggest and what I'll probably do is to grab the drivers off Dell's website and manually install them with a thumb drive since I for whatever reason am not even getting an internet connection even though I'm hard wired to the router. I'll deal with the internet thing later if I can get sound back first.

I may even run down to BestBuy and buy a cheap external soundcard just to see. So... Anyone have an suggestion on a cheap external sound card by the way?

I might even try giving Microsoft accessibility a call over  the weekend. The saga continues.

Nate Kile

Jason White

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@outlook.com> wrote:

I always have to reboot the system during a JAWS update. If there are
Microsoft Windows updates pending, they might be installed during the reboot
as well (at least, that's how it works under Windows 10).

If this is what happens, it could be another source of potential issues.

Cristóbal

This is what the FS tech mentioned as well. Not a solution per say, but
perhaps an explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason
White via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 4:21 PM

Adi Kushnir <adikushnir@outlook.com> wrote:

I always have to reboot the system during a JAWS update. If there are
Microsoft Windows updates pending, they might be installed during the reboot
as well (at least, that's how it works under Windows 10).

If this is what happens, it could be another source of potential issues.

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

So sorry that you have to deal with this.  I myself hate dealing with these major issues.  Computers are fine when they are working, but when they are not, well... That's a different story.

On 2/24/2017 7:09 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Nate Kile

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

So far, I have experienced no problems at all.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Behalf Of Adi Kushnir

It was very deeply tested before it has been released to the
public.

Behalf Of Poppa Bear

So, I have been involved in two computers updating to the
latest JAWS update with no problems. Before I continue I
just want to get a feel for if any other people are
experiencing problems such as the one described on the list.
I don't want to hit anymore update buttons if there is a
high likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the
frits. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile

Shai

I did the update yesterday through the JAWS check for updates feature
and I have not had any problems here on a Windows10 laptop. I was
surprised however that after the update downloaded it did not install
right away as an update often does, but rather brought me to a JAWS
set up routine where I had to press enter on the next button after
being told that this would install JAWS on my computer.

On 2/24/17, Poppa Bear <heavens4real@gmail.com> wrote:
So, I have been involved in two computers updating to the latest JAWS
update
with no problems. Before I continue I just want to get a feel for if any
other people are experiencing problems such as the one described on the
list. I don't want to hit anymore update buttons if there is a high
likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the frits. Any thoughts
on
this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile

What I did one time when I lost my drivers was go to the device manager and go to the sound driver and remove them. When I restarted my computer Windows loaded some generic drivers automatically.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Melissa Stott
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 4:12 PM

So sorry that you have to deal with this.  I myself hate dealing with these major issues.  Computers are fine when they are working, but when they are not, well... That's a different story.

On 2/24/2017 7:09 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Nate Kile

Thanks for everyone’s input. I will press the button on a few more computers and let you guys know if there are any ill affects.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 2:53 PM

Nate Kile

david Jennette

You may need to take your laptop to a computer shop to see if maybe it’s infected or something like that.  Oh sure, Jaws could have broken your windows installation somehow but I just don’t see how it could have in the way your describing.  Obviously something is wrong so that is why I’d recommend having a pro look at it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:09 PM

I spoke to FS support and they as I figured were stumped. What they did suggest and what I'll probably do is to grab the drivers off Dell's website and manually install them with a thumb drive since I for whatever reason am not even getting an internet connection even though I'm hard wired to the router I'll deal with the internet thing later if I can get sound back first.

I always download the exc. File and install that way and have no issues

Nate Kile

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I was presented with that also. I had to choose next to install.

On 2/24/2017 10:17 PM, Shai wrote:

update
with no problems. Before I continue I just want to get a feel for if any
other people are experiencing problems such as the one described on the
list. I don't want to hit anymore update buttons if there is a high
likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the frits. Any thoughts
on
this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile

One more computer updated and no problems. Will let you guys know about the next one.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Melissa Stott
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:33 AM

I was presented with that also. I had to choose next to install.

On 2/24/2017 10:17 PM, Shai wrote:

update with no problems. Before I continue I just want to get a feel
for if any other people are experiencing problems such as the one
described on the list. I don't want to hit anymore update buttons if
there is a high likelihood that I may put some of my computers on the
frits. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Nate Kile