 Original Message -----
From: Susie q
Hi, when I open a document that I had created when I was using windows 2003
and jaws eight, when I open the document in windows seven, and Jaws13, and
word 2010, it says, part one compatibility mode, what does that mean? Thanks
and when I go to each chapter in the document, it says heading level two,
not used to that info, what does each mean? Thanks sue

From: Brian Lee
Hello SusieQ,

Word 2010 uses Compatibility Mode to maintain compatibility with earlier
versions of Word.
If you get a document from a person that was created in an earlier version
of Word or you open a document you created in an earlier version of Word the
word "compatibility" appears in the title bar.  JAWS reads the title bar of
a document when you open it and so you hear the fact that the document was
created with an earlier version of Word but has been made compatible for
you.  Documents created in Word 2010 are stored in an open XML format.
Documents created in Word 2003 or earlier were stored in a binary format so
in order to open them in Word 2010 Microsoft uses the compatibility mode.
If a file has a .DOC extension it will open in compatibility mode.  Even
documents with a .DOCX extension created in Word 2007 could open in
compatibility mode because some of the features of Word 2010 were not
supported in Word 2007 such as some text effects and OpenType typographic
features).

Headings in Word are styles.  A style consists of such things as the type of
font, font size, font color, character spacing, etc.  A heading 1 style in
word 2010 uses a Cambria font size 14 and is a blue color.  The heading 2 is
the same except the font is one point smaller and is a 13-point Cambria
font.  The normal style in Word uses a size 11 Calibri font with a black
foreground color.

If each chapter in your file starts with text in a heading 2 style then you
can quickly move from chapter to chapter by browsing by heading.  You can
list headings by using JAWS key with function key 6, using up or down arrow
to the heading to jump to and pressing enter key.  You could also choose to
move between only heading 2 text by going into navigation quick keys using
JAWS key with Z and then pressing the number 2 to move to next heading or
shift with 2 to move to previous heading 2 in your document.  When using the
navigation quick keys you are working in a read-only mode so you will need
to use JAWS key with Z to return to editing mode.  You can also use function
key 6 in Word 2010 and move to the Search pane.  Use the "browse by heading"
tab of the pane and use tab key to the list of headings to browse.  However,
you will likely find it easier to use the JAWS navigation quick keys or by
listing headings with JAWS key and f6.

The "Part 1" text that you are hearing must be text at the top of your
document indicating that you are starting with the first part of a document.
You likely have Part 2 and additional parts through the document.  One part
might have a few chapters in it.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianllee@...

From: Brian Lee
Hi Susie q,

Don't confuse compatibility mode with protected view mode.  Compatibility
mode just means that Word 2010 is letting you open a file from an earlier
version of Word.  You can still edit the document and save it as usual.
JAWS just reads the title bar when opening the document and so you hear that
it is being opened in compatibility mode.  You don't have to save it in the
new format.  If all you are wanting to do is transfer the edited file to
your Stream then you might as well just leave it in the .DOC format.

On the other hand if there are features in Word 2010 that you want to use
that weren't available in the earlier versions of Word then you might want
to use the newer format.  The compatibility mode is not the same as the
protected mode and it is not a safety feature.  If Word thinks a document
might be from an unsafe source then it will open in protected view, which is
like a sandboxed area.  Documents from programs using the Internet zone are
examples of documents opened in protected view.  You don't need to worry
about documents opened in compatibility mode so if all you are wanting to do
is put them on the Stream you really don't need to use the newer format.

Take care.
Brian Lee
brianllee@...
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
Hello SusieQ,

brianllee@charter.net <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
********

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Jed Barton

Something is major wrong ehre guys. I finaly got word to shut down.
Then i clicked on the file again, but i can see no text. Is there any way to get around this? It's really annoying. I've already wasted 45 minutes on this. All i wanna do is read this document. Any ideas on what to do? When i do control home, it just says top of file. It almost sounds like something is blocking jfw from reading it. Any ideas?

On 2/22/2017 4:21 PM, Jed Barton wrote:
What i don't understand, why itkeeps hosing my computer. The document,
i only got it to work once.
When i tab or arrow throw it, it literally reads nothing.
How do i make it start reading?

On 2/22/2017 4:04 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Jed,

This will explain compatibility mode. Read all the way through.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jed,

Can you select all the text, copy it to the clipboard,  & paste it into a text file, or a new Word document?  If the document isn't of some private nature, send it to me off list, & I'll see if I can extract the contents from it, & send it back to you.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

Something is major wrong ehre guys.  I finaly got word to shut down.
Then i clicked on the file again, but i can see no text.  Is there any
way to get around this?  It's really annoying.  I've already wasted 45
minutes on this.  All i wanna do is read this document.  Any ideas on
what to do?  When i do control home, it just says top of file.  It
almost sounds like something is blocking jfw from reading it.  Any ideas?

On 2/22/2017 4:21 PM, Jed Barton wrote:
> What i don't understand, why itkeeps hosing my computer.  The document,
> i only got it to work once.
> When i tab or arrow throw it, it literally reads nothing.
> How do i make it start reading?
>
> On 2/22/2017 4:04 PM, Mike B. wrote:
>> Hi Jed,
>>
>> This will explain compatibility mode.  Read all the way through.

I have no idea.
I can't even get it to open in word pad. It just dings at me when i arrow around. My god, this should not be this complicated.
I've already spent close to 2 hours fighting with this.
What's your email

On 2/22/2017 4:51 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Jed,

Can you select all the text, copy it to the clipboard, & paste it into
a text file, or a new Word document? If the document isn't of some
private nature, send it to me off list, & I'll see if I can extract the
contents from it, & send it back to you.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Jed Barton

If anyone wants to see if they can get this file to read, my email is
jed@jedbarton.com
I'll send you the file. I'm having horrible luck. This is not good, as this is the simplest text file, and i just need to get some info out of it, but i can't make jfw read it.

On 2/22/2017 4:51 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Jed,

Can you select all the text, copy it to the clipboard, & paste it into
a text file, or a new Word document? If the document isn't of some
private nature, send it to me off list, & I'll see if I can extract the
contents from it, & send it back to you.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jed,

My email is below:

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

I can't even get it to open in word pad.  It just dings at me when i
arrow around.  My god, this should not be this complicated.
I've already spent close to 2 hours fighting with this.
What's your email

On 2/22/2017 4:51 PM, Mike B. wrote:
> Hi Jed,
>
> Can you select all the text, copy it to the clipboard,  & paste it into
> a text file, or a new Word document?  If the document isn't of some
> private nature, send it to me off list, & I'll see if I can extract the
> contents from it, & send it back to you.
> Take care.
> Mike
> Sent from my iBarstool.

First I used the status line keystroke with the file open, Insert + Page down, & it says there's no text to read, actually it says, no characters.  But, I tried other ottions like the Jaws OCR feature, & nothing as well, then I tried Openbook, & it found no text either.  So, I don't think there's anything to read.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word.  It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode.  how do i get it
out of this.  It's screwing everything up0

Mario

although Mike gave it a try and wasn't successful, I'll give it a try,
if you don't mind? my email is mrb620@hotmail.com
I'll be at my computer for another half hour, so send it as soon as
possible.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and
word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

.

Mario

Jed. I'll work on it tomorrow if you send it to me.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and
word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Could you try copying the entire document, bringing it to Note Pad, and save it from there?
Bye for now,

Carolyn

*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> Hi Susie q,

[...]

brianllee@charter.net <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word.
It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i
get it out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Does the document say, as you come to it, that is before opening, how many KB's it contains? If it says something like 2,468, that would indicate that there is material of some sort. If it says 6 or 10 or something like that, then it could be a dead duck.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

If you want, send it my way. I have a few ideas.

Does the document say, as you come to it, that is before opening, how many KB's it contains? If it says something like 2,468, that would indicate that there is material of some sort. If it says 6 or 10 or something like that, then it could be a dead duck.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carolyn, Mario, & Poppa Bear,

The properties of this particular document say the size is, 0, & size on disk is, 4.0 KB!
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

*From:* Susie q <mailto:susieq2@cogeco.ca> Hi, when I open a document that I had created when I was using windows
2003

*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> Hello SusieQ,

brianllee@charter.net <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
********
*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> Hi Susie q,

[...]

brianllee@charter.net <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> <mailto:brianllee@charter.net> Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it out of this. It's screwing everything up0

.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Have you checked if Protected Mode is on? Load the document and then press Alt+F followed by "I" and "E" or you can load the document and then press F12 to save it, if it is in protected mode you'll get a message that you have to enable editing or something like that. You could then also change the format to the current version of Word and save it in that version.

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word.
It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i
get it out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Then it’s an empty document.

Does the document say, as you come to it, that is before opening, how many KB's it contains? If it says something like 2,468, that would indicate that there is material of some sort. If it says 6 or 10 or something like that, then it could be a dead duck.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word.  It keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode.  how do i get it out of this.  It's screwing everything up0

Mario

why is the size on disk reported as 4 kb? just curious. :|

OK, i am having a hhge probem reading a manual with jfw 17 and word. It
keeps telling me that a file is in compatability mode. how do i get it
out of this. It's screwing everything up0

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

My guess is that there is nothing retrievable.

Bye for now,

Carolyn