Setting Tabs In A Word Document

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I  know I have done this before, but I’m  having trouble remembering how to set tabbs in a Microsoft Word document.

I am trying to create a report form for a project I’m working on, and want to set three or four tabs for each line on the form.

I am using Word 2016 here, with Windows 7.

Thanks for any memory jogs anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

First, I  understand your question.  At first glance, 2015 doesn‘t seem as intuitive as versions once were.  I’d begin by concentrating on the layout tab.  You need to know the kind of tab you’re setting.  It also won’t hurt to know spaces per inch in the font you’re using.  I think the default tab is five spaces, but these aren’t your father’s fonts.

Ted

I  know I have done this before, but I’m  having trouble remembering how to set tabs in a Microsoft Word document.

I am trying to create a report form for a project I’m working on, and want to set three or four tabs for each line on the form.

I am using Word 2016 here, with Windows 7.

Thanks for any memory jogs anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tab setting, particularly with the Paragraph Dialog Box, has been pretty much the same forever.

Have a look at this webpage:  http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/word/how-to-use-the-tabs-dialog-box-to-set-tabs-in-word-2016/

If anything "doesn't translate" I'll fire up NVDA or JAWS to see what's announced.  That control to bring up the is the last in the paragraph group in the ribbon.  If you wish to bring it up directly via a keyboard shortcut use ALT+H, PG  (Open the Home tab/ribbon, go straight to the Paragraph dialog box).
--
Brian

    ~ Saul BellowTo Jerusalem and Back

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Alt-O-t.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I know I have done this before, but I'm having trouble
remembering how to set tabbs in a Microsoft Word document.

I am trying to create a report form for a project I'm
working on, and want to set three or four tabs for each line
on the form.

I am using Word 2016 here, with Windows 7.

Thanks for any memory jogs anyone can provide.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

The default is five spaces, and when you press Alt-O-T, you
first clear all, then set, then change default if you want.
I have one some documents where most of the tabs are left
align, but one or two, according to which document are set
for decimal alignment. Those I have set in Currier New Font,
since the characters or like typewriters, and the figures
will align correctly that way - advice from my husband the
printer.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I know I have done this before, but I'm having trouble
remembering how to set tabs in a Microsoft Word document.

I am trying to create a report form for a project I'm
working on, and want to set three or four tabs for each line
on the form.

I am using Word 2016 here, with Windows 7.

Thanks for any memory jogs anyone can provide.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Ok, Brian.

Will give this a try here, probably sometime tomorrow.

Tom Behler

Tab setting, particularly with the Paragraph Dialog Box, has been pretty much the same forever.

Have a look at this webpage:  http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/word/how-to-use-the-tabs-dialog-box-to-set-tabs-in-word-2016/

If anything "doesn't translate" I'll fire up NVDA or JAWS to see what's announced.  That control to bring up the is the last in the paragraph group in the ribbon.  If you wish to bring it up directly via a keyboard shortcut use ALT+H, PG  (Open the Home tab/ribbon, go straight to the Paragraph dialog box).
--
Brian

    ~ Saul BellowTo Jerusalem and Back

Gerry Ellis <gerry.ellis@...>

Hi,

Did you consider using a standard table instead of tabs? They are usually much more accessible to screen readers than tabs.

Hit Alt-A then I then T and you will be asked what kind of table you want.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,

How will you know when you get there?

Will give this a try here, probably sometime tomorrow.

Tom Behler

Tab setting, particularly with the Paragraph Dialog Box, has been pretty much the same forever.

Have a look at this webpage:  http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/word/how-to-use-the-tabs-dialog-box-to-set-tabs-in-word-2016/

If anything "doesn't translate" I'll fire up NVDA or JAWS to see what's announced.  That control to bring up the is the last in the paragraph group in the ribbon.  If you wish to bring it up directly via a keyboard shortcut use ALT+H, PG  (Open the Home tab/ribbon, go straight to the Paragraph dialog box).
--
Brian

    ~ Saul BellowTo Jerusalem and Back

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I use Courier New at home constantly, I think I use 11 points, and for the reason you cite. It's very similar to Pica. I've varied between 11 and 12 over the years.

Ted

I know I have done this before, but I'm having trouble
remembering how to set tabs in a Microsoft Word document.

I am trying to create a report form for a project I'm
working on, and want to set three or four tabs for each line
on the form.

I am using Word 2016 here, with Windows 7.

Thanks for any memory jogs anyone can provide.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Yes, it is similar to Pica. It is quite manageable.

Bye for now,

Carolyn