fixing my centurytel.net email

Ryan Coverdell

Quite a few months ago I had malware on my computer and when it was
fixed I could send to but not receive messages at my
rcover@centurytel.net email address. I use gmail for my correspondence
now, but when I want to send attachments via email and such it always
defaults to that address. I haven't done that for a while. I'd like to
do a few things that I hope generate a lively discussion.

First, I should probably see if my old centuryhtel email works again.
I don't want to contact their tech support since they don't know jaws.
So I have a series of questions from those on the list who can help.

First, how do I, using Jaws get into the windows mail (successor to
outlook express) settings to repair the settings of my old CenturyTel
email account? Secondly, does windows mail work with gmail? That way I
could set my gmail as default when sending attachments and such.

In an unrelated item, I was using google chrome today for something
different on bookshare.org and when I went to download a book nothing
happens. The dropdown is set to brf format but when pressing enter
nothing happens.

Also, is there a way to have the save and open dialogue box when doing
down loads appear in a separate window so I don't have to press alt n?
I'd rather the save and open dialogue box in downloads would be front
and center rather than in the background.

I have many other questions in the next few days so please bare with
me. I will monitor the web site for answers since I don't receive the
digests anymore.

Regards,

Ryan Coverdell

Edited

Ryan,

          I may be able to help out on the e-mail end of things, but I need to be crystal clear on what version of Windows you're running and what e-mail client you're using.  Windows mail is a bit too broad to be helpful.  Are you using one of the versions of Windows Live Mail or, perhaps, the built-in mail app under Windows 10.

          Also, are your e-mail accounts set up to be accessible by POP, IMAP, or both?  Even if you have an e-mail client that tries to set up everything related to a given e-mail account it is helpful to know what port numbers and login credential security is required for a given e-mail provider.  I know what these are for gmail, since I've set up more gmail accounts (and I strongly suggest IMAP, not POP access) than I can count and I just found the stuff online for the centurytel.net domain name.

Brian

Ryan Coverdell

I'm using jaws 14 and windows 7. I in fact would need either instructions as to how to find the incoming and outgoing email servers or I would need some one to just provide these along with the port information. I believe the server type for CenturyTel is a pop 3. Again I really don't want to use tech support from CenturyTel by phone since they don't know Jaws. I may however, just ask them some stuff via email.

Edited

Ryan,

        You still didn't mention the e-mail client software you're using.  That being the case, try starting at this Centurylink e-mail setup page.  It contains the setup instructions for a number of e-mail clients and has POP3 information in a category of its own since few use POP access these days if they read e-mail on multiple devices in multiple locations.  Go directly to this page if all you're looking for is the server names and port numbers that work with centurytel.net.

Brian

Ryan Coverdell

I'm using windows mail, the successor to outlook express. So what I need is the incoming and outgoing email servers for CenturyTel.net, on an uncluttered page without other links or other confusing things. I would like some one who uses CenturyTel.net to send these to me and also detailed key-board instructions as to how to enter these into what tab in windows live mail. Thank you ahead of time.

Regards,

Ryan Coverdell

Ryan,

This should be about as uncluttered as you can get, and applies to the centurytel.net domain:

IMAP:

Incoming server:  mail.centurylink.net     Port: 993      Security: SSL

POP3:

Incoming server:  pop.centurylink.net     Port: 995       Security:  SSL

Outgoing Mail Server:  smtp.centurylink.net     Port: 587   Security:  TLS (if available)

Username is e-mail address.

Brian