From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:27 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: google drive help

Kimsan,

        You can't avoid the web based route entirely, as you need to use it to actually add the shared drive.  Take a look at this Google Drive Help Page about folders "shared with me" and how to add them to the collection shown in Google Drive that you access directly from the desktop.

Brian

Marianne Denning

Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people
working on the same document can collaborate together.

On 1/15/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi,

My college just created a google drive folder. I have my own google drive
folder, and I have the google drive folder on my desktop.

How can I put that shared folder into my folder that I have on my desktop,
so I can avoid the web based route.

Thanks.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

David Moore

Hi,
Freedomscientific has two great webinars on Google Drive and Google Docs that work for JAWS or NVDA. There are key commands that allow you to do everything in the cloud. You can work with others on the same article and see the changes being made by others as it happens in real time. Go to the Freedomscientific training page and download those two webinars, and you will be using Google drive online and writing all of your documents in the cloud and saving them in the cloud. Have a great one.

Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people
working on the same document can collaborate together.

On 1/15/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi,

My college just created a google drive folder. I have my own google drive
folder, and I have the google drive folder on my desktop.

How can I put that shared folder into my folder that I have on my desktop,
so I can avoid the web based route.

Thanks.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

mike mcglashon

this is a great message, however, it lacks the most important information of all...
the links themselves which allegedly hold all these wonderful gems.

Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people
working on the same document can collaborate together.

On 1/15/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi,

My college just created a google drive folder. I have my own google drive
folder, and I have the google drive folder on my desktop.

How can I put that shared folder into my folder that I have on my desktop,
so I can avoid the web based route.

Thanks.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Edited

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 03:45 pm, mike mcglashon wrote:
it lacks the most important information of all...
the links themselves which allegedly hold all these wonderful gems.

 Mike,

          Freedom Scientific Free Webinars Page.  The Google Docs webinar link starts with those two words, so it should be simple to find.  It's broken into two parts and it would appear the first part really should mention setting up a Google Drive account and the second is working with Google Docs proper.

Brian

HH. Smith Jr.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 03:45 pm, mike mcglashon wrote:

it lacks the most important information of all...
the links themselves which allegedly hold all these wonderful gems.

 Mike,

          Freedom Scientific Free Webinars Page.  The Google Docs webinar link starts with those two words, so it should be simple to find.  It's broken into two parts and it would appear the first part really should mention setting up a Google Drive account and the second is working with Google Docs proper.

Brian

David Moore

Hi,
The main page will come up. Find the training link down toward the bottom of the page and press enter and find the webinars on the training page. I don't want to spoon feed people with the exact links or how will you learn how to navigate web pages. Have a great one.

this is a great message, however, it lacks the most important information of
all...
the links themselves which allegedly hold all these wonderful gems.

Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people
working on the same document can collaborate together.

On 1/15/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi,

My college just created a google drive folder. I have my own google drive
folder, and I have the google drive folder on my desktop.

How can I put that shared folder into my folder that I have on my desktop,
so I can avoid the web based route.

Thanks.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Marryanne:

Maybe I'm naïve when it comes to google drive, and I should invest in the Web&R which I will; however, I assumed google drive and sharing was simply similar to dropbox and sharing.

Based on my limited knowledge of google drive, the only time to visit the web in relation to sharing is when you actually share the folder, but after that it was a simple copy and paste after the folders were created and shared between all parties...

Like the old saying goes, you learn something everyday.

Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people working on the same document can collaborate together.

On 1/15/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi,

My college just created a google drive folder. I have my own google
drive folder, and I have the google drive folder on my desktop.

How can I put that shared folder into my folder that I have on my
desktop, so I can avoid the web based route.

Thanks.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning

The webinar is free so don't worry about the cost. I have exchange
students and I help them with homework. If we both have the document
open at the same time I can see as they edit and they can see as I
edit. If you are working in a group and someone is making changes to
the document you can see the changes as they take place so that might
spark other thoughts for changes.

On 1/18/16, Kimsan <kimsansong@outlook.com> wrote:
[...]

I have attached a list of common commands and I hope it is helpful.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:06 pm, Marianne Denning wrote:
Why do you want to avoid the web based Google? That is how people
working on the same document can collaborate together.

 Marianne,

           Can't this also be achieved by opening a Google Doc using the actual Google Doc editor by accessing the file from the local Google Drive Sync folder?

           I've never tried to do collaboration as you describe it, but I do have clients who far prefer to access files stored on their Google Drive, or shared via their Google Drive, using the "local" Google Sync Drive folder.  It's much easier to get to files that way than through the Google Drive web interface.

           I use the web interface pretty much exclusively, but I can understand why someone who was blind or visually-impaired would have a strong preference for using the Google Sync Drive that they can set up on their computer, and that appears for all the world like any other folder, rather than the web interface unless they needed to use it to add an item shared with them but that they do not own.

Brian

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I meant to say invest time lol.
It's on my to do list.