Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2019 5:57 PM
Subject: JAWS not reading Windows VISTA Start Menu

Hi group.

I am using JAWS 16.0.4350 on a 32-bit Windows VISTA system.

When I open the Windows VISTA start menu, JAWS doesn’t read anything. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Samuel Villa <Saleena81@...>

NVDA reads most of the start menu. But when I TAB to the All Programs Submenu, NVDA reads it as “All programs button.” What do I do?

You might give it a try with NVDA, that will tell you if it is Jaws or Windows.

I am using JAWS 16.0.4350 on a 32-bit Windows VISTA system.

When I open the Windows VISTA start menu, JAWS doesn’t read anything. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Glenn / Lenny

I've never tabbed in the start menu.
When it says menu closed or submenu, you right arrow to open it up.
HTH.
Glenn

NVDA reads most of the start menu. But when I TAB to the All Programs Submenu, NVDA reads it as “All programs button.” What do I do?

You might give it a try with NVDA, that will tell you if it is Jaws or Windows.

I am using JAWS 16.0.4350 on a 32-bit Windows VISTA system.

When I open the Windows VISTA start menu, JAWS doesn’t read anything. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Samuel Villa <Saleena81@...>

Then it may be a problem on my part. Because NVDA sause “All Programs Button” instead of “all programs submenu.”

When it says menu closed or submenu, you right arrow to open it up.

HTH.

Glenn

NVDA reads most of the start menu. But when I TAB to the All Programs Submenu, NVDA reads it as “All programs button.” What do I do?

You might give it a try with NVDA, that will tell you if it is Jaws or Windows.

I am using JAWS 16.0.4350 on a 32-bit Windows VISTA system.

When I open the Windows VISTA start menu, JAWS doesn’t read anything. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike B

Howdy Samuel,

Well, that could very possibly be the way 2 different screen reading programs read / report the same thing.  Your issue might be in the Start Menu properties and the way the Start Menu is assigned to display.  I've never used Vista so I don't have any idea on how to access your Start Menu properties.  Also, have you tried pressing enter to see if that'll expand the menu?
Every man should marry.  After all, happiness is not the only thing in life.

Then it may be a problem on my part. Because NVDA sause “All Programs Button” instead of “all programs submenu.”

When it says menu closed or submenu, you right arrow to open it up.

HTH.

Glenn

NVDA reads most of the start menu. But when I TAB to the All Programs Submenu, NVDA reads it as “All programs button.” What do I do?

You might give it a try with NVDA, that will tell you if it is Jaws or Windows.

I am using JAWS 16.0.4350 on a 32-bit Windows VISTA system.

When I open the Windows VISTA start menu, JAWS doesn’t read anything. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Samuel Villa <Saleena81@...>

To answer your first thought, ALT+ENTER on any part of the Windows Taskbar will open the taskbar properties. One of the tabs on that dialog box is a tab for start menu properties. On your second question, yes. Pressing ENTER on the All Programs on the start menu does activate the submenu.