Topics

moderated How to update JAWS 2020

ARORA Meesha

Hello,

I currently have JAWS 2019 running on my system and I am entitled to JAWS 2020 as a part of my SMA. I would like to confirm whether I need to download JAWS 2020 on my system seperatley or it will automatically be updated if I click “Check for updates” in JAWS 2019 help option?

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Accounts Receivable’s Team

Assistant Finance Manager

Phone: 0121 635 4522

Internal: 830-4522

Sopra Steria

Email : meesha.arora@...

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Meesha & List:

Any time I have updated my JAWS version previously, I have had to download the new JAWS
from the FS.com web site.

The check for updates function of JAWS only checks for updates to the version

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of ARORA Meesha
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 4:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How to update JAWS 2020

Hello,

I currently have JAWS 2019 running on my system and I am entitled to JAWS 2020 as a part of my SMA. I would like to confirm whether I need to download JAWS 2020 on my system separately or it will automatically be updated if I click “Check for updates” in JAWS 2019 help option?

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria

ARORA Meesha

Thanks Brian for the confirmation😊

So now I have downloaded the online version of JAWS 2020 and installed it on my system and I was expecting it to prompt for authorization however I think it automatically picked it up.

So far…. It seems to run smoothly. And I have two versions now –both 2019 and 2020. I am not sure if I should uninstall 2019 as for some reason I never had a smooth uninstallation of JAWS as whenever I try to uninstall it, it always leaves it’s components and then when I try to install the JAWS, it doesn’t get properly installed like doesn’t give the usual audio feedback etc.

So may be I leave both of these…I hope that wouldn’t be a problem??

Thanks

Meesha

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: How to update JAWS 2020

Dear Meesha & List:

Any time I have updated my JAWS version previously, I have had to download the new JAWS

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

Hello,

I currently have JAWS 2019 running on my system and I am entitled to JAWS 2020 as a part of my SMA. I would like to confirm whether I need to download JAWS 2020 on my system separately or it will automatically be updated if I click “Check for updates” in JAWS 2019 help option?

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria

John Doering

Just leave it there.

It will not cause you any problem and if something starts acting funny with 2020, you can see if it does the same with 2019 if needed.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of ARORA Meesha
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:15 AM

So now I have downloaded the online version of JAWS 2020 and installed it on my system and I was expecting it to prompt for authorization however I think it automatically picked it up.

So far…. It seems to run smoothly. And I have two versions now –both 2019 and 2020. I am not sure if I should uninstall 2019 as for some reason I never had a smooth uninstallation of JAWS as whenever I try to uninstall it, it always leaves it’s components and then when I try to install the JAWS, it doesn’t get properly installed like doesn’t give the usual audio feedback etc.

Thanks

Meesha

Dear Meesha & List:

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

Hello,

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria

ARORA Meesha

Ok, thanks . I’ll do that.

Thanks

Meesha

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Doering
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:02 PM

Just leave it there.

It will not cause you any problem and if something starts acting funny with 2020, you can see if it does the same with 2019 if needed.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Thanks

Meesha

Dear Meesha & List:

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

Hello,

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria

Hi Meesha,

As John said, you can certainly leave it and I agree that for a while you should. But if you find you always use Jaws 2020 and there are no issues which make it necessary to fall back to Jaws 2019 you can certainly uninstall it. Here is what you do (I assume you have Windows 10):

1. Press Windows Key + X and press enter on “Apps and Features”, it’s the first item in the menu which comes up

2. Tab I think about 6 times until  you get into the list of all the installed programs and apps on your computer

3. Arrow down to “Freedom Scientific Jaws 2019” and press enter to expand it, then tab once to “Uninstall” and press enter.

4. You may have to press Uninstall one more time, but eventually the Jaws 2019 installer starts and you can select to remove it, just make very sure you don’t and I mean “do not” check to remove shared components because if you do Jaws 2020 will also no longer work. You can, if you want, remove the user files by checking that option.

5. Let the uninstallation finish and reboot, there is a good chance Jaws 2020 won’t speak at the logon screen or even after you enter your password, if that is the case just load Jaws 2020 manually, then go into Jaws Options > Basics, tab twice to “Automatically Start Jaws” and make sure the option for Jaws to speak at the logon screen is checked and that it is set to “Always” for speaking after the desktop loads. That’s it.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:21 AM

Thanks

Meesha

Just leave it there.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Thanks

Meesha

Dear Meesha & List:

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

Hello,

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria

ARORA Meesha

Many thanks Sieghard for your explanation. I will keep JAWS 2019 for the moment and will uninstall it later following up your steps.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:40 PM

Hi Meesha,

As John said, you can certainly leave it and I agree that for a while you should. But if you find you always use Jaws 2020 and there are no issues which make it necessary to fall back to Jaws 2019 you can certainly uninstall it. Here is what you do (I assume you have Windows 10):

1. Press Windows Key + X and press enter on “Apps and Features”, it’s the first item in the menu which comes up

2. Tab I think about 6 times until  you get into the list of all the installed programs and apps on your computer

3. Arrow down to “Freedom Scientific Jaws 2019” and press enter to expand it, then tab once to “Uninstall” and press enter.

4. You may have to press Uninstall one more time, but eventually the Jaws 2019 installer starts and you can select to remove it, just make very sure you don’t and I mean “do not” check to remove shared components because if you do Jaws 2020 will also no longer work. You can, if you want, remove the user files by checking that option.

5. Let the uninstallation finish and reboot, there is a good chance Jaws 2020 won’t speak at the logon screen or even after you enter your password, if that is the case just load Jaws 2020 manually, then go into Jaws Options > Basics, tab twice to “Automatically Start Jaws” and make sure the option for Jaws to speak at the logon screen is checked and that it is set to “Always” for speaking after the desktop loads. That’s it.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:21 AM

Thanks

Meesha

Just leave it there.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Thanks

Meesha

Dear Meesha & List:

you are running.

Brian K. Lingard

Hello,

Thanks,

Meesha Arora

Sopra Steria