Topics

moderated Jaws 2020

Don H

I just installed Jaws 2020 on my Win 10 system. I also have Jaws 2019 installed. How can I move all my settings from Jaws 2019 to Jaws 2020?
Thanks

Lino Morales

Hello Mr. Don. Go into your JAWS utilities  menu and arrow to migrate settings under the import/export submenu than press enter. Then just follow the prompts. Good luck.

On 10/29/2019 1:51 PM, Don H wrote:
I just installed Jaws 2020 on my Win 10 system.  I also have Jaws 2019 installed.  How can I move all my settings from Jaws 2019 to Jaws 2020?
Thanks

David Pearson

Hi list:

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Loy

No, they no longer will mail out CD's.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and
if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

george b

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they
are not sending out c d's anymore.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and
if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Loreal Lavigna

This is true. I do remember hearing on a podcast and later reading
somewhere they would no longer be sending out CD/DVD discs with JAWS.

Sincerely,
Loreal Lavigna
General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist
Phone: (518)330-5188
E-Mail: LorealLavigna@...
They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they
are not sending out c d's anymore.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and
if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

mattias <mjonsson1986@...>

correct

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they
are not sending out c d's anymore.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd, and
if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Rick Mladek

Is the 2020 version talked about the beta or full release version? Should they not be sending out email notifications directly to inform users and not have us find about the versions released through these types lists?

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that
they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

george b

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would
to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing. Then saving the
update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they
are not sending out c d's anymore.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

I for one am glad Vispero has finally left the 90's and early 2000's behind and does no longer send out what to many are useless pieces of plastic especially since in my case I haven't had a PC with a DVD drive for many years.
The Jaws installer has changed some time ago and it is now a fairly small setup program which means it does not contain all the files needed for installation, instead it will download what is required from the web.
This approach is used by more and more software companies, it's been this way with Adobe Acrobat Reader for a long time, Chrome and Microsoft Edge are both installed this way, if you subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 the installer for the Office suite is also like this and so are many others.
The one difference between installers like most of the ones I mentioned above and the Jaws installer is that you can actually keep the Chrome installer or the Edge installer and if you run it a year from now on a new system it will still work and also download whatever is the latest version. For Jaws you still need to download a different setup program for the version of Jaws you want to install, but since it is only a bit over 40Mb, it only takes a few seconds on most fast internet connections nowadays and another nice thing is that you don't have to worry about 32 Bit and 64 Bit, the installer does both, looks at your system and knows which to install. The older installer was about 180 Mb, but it still downloaded the OCR component during the installation.
If for some reason you need a full installer or maybe you have a very slow internet connection where it's better to have everything downloaded to your computer first you can still download the entire DVD so to speak, it's I think something like a 500 or 600 Gb download and it is entirely meant to be run offline if needed.

Regards,
Sieghard

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing. Then saving the update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Marty Hutchings

500 or 600 GB?

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing. Then saving the update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

What are you asking?

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing. Then saving the update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Since I like to provide correct information wherever possible I just downloaded the offline installer for the 64 Bit version of Jaws 2020.1910.54 and it is 832Mb.
The regular installer which downloads what is needed during the setup is 44.1Mb.

[...]

I am sure that JAWS 2020 is not a half of a terabyte.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

[...]

Jaws 2020 download file is 44,122 KB or about 40MB.

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing. Then saving the update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

Chris Hill

Probably more when you include a decent voice or two and the ocr engine.

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

What are you asking?

The reason is because they make major updates through the year now and would to keep sending out c d's for the updates.
They suggest downloading the update and then installing.  Then saving the update on a thumb drive and do for each update through the year.

They announced in one of the pod casts this summer updating jaws that they are not sending out c d's anymore.

Why don't you just download it, the fact is that even if they continue this in my opinion useless and wasteful tradition of mailing out DVD's, the version which will be current by the time you receive the DVD will already be newer than the original Jaws 2020.1910.54 release which you would get on the DVD.

Will Vispero be mailing out this latest Jaws program  release on cd,
and if yes, when should I expect to receive it?

Sincerely,

David S. Pearson

I am talking about the offline installer. As the name implies, it contains everything you could possibly need for an installation, all the OCR components, help files and so on and it is 832MB which is very close to 1 Terrabyte.
If you don't believe me go to the Freedom Scientific download page for Jaws and select the "Offline installer for secure environments".