need guidance on navigating in windows 10

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

Hello all,

I believe that a while back, someone indicated that there was information regarding optimizing computer using JAWS for making windows 10 more user friendly. If so, please share this again.

Many thanks,

Barbara Hansen

Negoslav Sabev

Perhaps this will help.

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 9, 2016, at 5:18 AM, "Barbara Hansen" <the2skibears@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I believe that a while back, someone indicated that there was information regarding optimizing computer using JAWS for making windows 10 more user friendly. If so, please share this again.

Many thanks,

Barbara Hansen

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 06:47 am, Negoslav Sabev wrote:
Perhaps this will help.

 Now, perhaps, is an opportunity to further my own education.  I went to this website, and the content is fabulous, but it's also not set up for sighted people (nor should it be, but I'm just saying).  I downloaded several of the "collections of all these in a single ZIP file" and unzipped same.  What follows is a straight paste from the file related to the Address Bar as it opens in Notepad on my computer:

---------------------------

Address bar

table with 2 columns and 8 rows

To do this

Press this

Add www. to the beginning and .com to the end of text typed in the Address bar

Ctrl+Enter

Display a list of addresses you've typed

F4

In the Address bar, move the cursor left to the next break in the sentence

Ctrl+Left arrow

In the Address bar, move the cursor right to the next break in the sentence

Ctrl+Right arrow

Move backward through the list of AutoComplete matches

Down arrow

Move forward through the list of AutoComplete matches

Up arrow

Select the text in the Address bar

Alt+D

table end

Clearly this file is not really intended to be read as plain text, but has instructions in it noting that you have a table with two columns and eight rows, with the two columns having headings of, "To do this," and, "Press this."

What program is a file formatted in this manner typically displayed, or perhaps displayed and read, using?   I can figure it out well enough, but this Notepad presentation wouldn't be a user-friendly way to read through it for anyone.

Brian

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Hi Brian,

I’ve seen this format used often in various screenreader manuals. Personally, I think it works fine. It would be accessible to any adaptive technology and any word editor. Maybe not sighted-friendly, but very useful without clutter in my opinion. Just my two cents.

Jean

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2016 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: need guidance on navigating in windows 10

[...]

        I was not meaning to be critical in any way.  I really wondered how this stuff is typically accessed since the table is defined in words, there is no formatting whatsoever.  I've just never seen anything like this as far as a technical document goes, and it has to be this way because it works better for its intended audience.

        As I'm inclined to say, "It's not all about you," where the "you" is "me" in this context.

Brian

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

                Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing this link. I have downloaded the zip file and now have it on my victor reader. I can now follow it without having to deal with switching between apps.

Thanks again for all your help.

Barbara Hansen

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Hi Brian,
Well, maybe this makes sense. It says two columns, but is simply a list text format. But then a person knows how many items (lines) belong with each entry. This is similar to how wide tables might be done in braille if text won’t fit. You are told column headings, and then each (line) represents a column per se. Blank lines help with division of entries.

Does that make sense? That’s how I interpret it, anyway.

Jean

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:32 PM

Jean,

        I was not meaning to be critical in any way.  I really wondered how this stuff is typically accessed since the table is defined in words, there is no formatting whatsoever.  I've just never seen anything like this as far as a technical document goes, and it has to be this way because it works better for its intended audience.

        As I'm inclined to say, "It's not all about you," where the "you" is "me" in this context.

Brian

Jean,

            Actually, that makes perfect sense.  I had forgotten how Braille lays out things like tables (I haven't been dealing with it since 2011) when room is tight.  Carrying over the layout concepts to plain text makes perfect sense when that layout is customary to the intended audience.

Brian

Londa Peterson

 The person who wrote it probably didn't write it that way. It sounds like they selected it from a website using the virtual cursor. Basically, what you have is exactly what JAWS says when it reads it rather than what it really originally looked like. Most of the time I tend to have JAWS select and copy full content rather than from virtual cursor. You can find these options in the settings center. I tend to use smart navigation for tables now instead of this older style, but everyone's different in what they prefer. Also, if you're using Firefox, you can only select from virtual cursor. This is the main reason why I still use IE. I need to prepare documents for sighted people to read, and I'm afraid I'd forget to use IE if something else was my default. a

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 08:58 am, Londa Peterson wrote:
I tend to use smart navigation for tables now instead of this older style, but everyone's different in what they prefer. Also, if you're using Firefox, you can only select from virtual cursor.

 Fascinating.   I had once had hopes that FS would start supporting Firefox far more robustly than they have.  It was the #2 web browser, and never far behind IE when in that position, for years.   Now Chrome is eating everyone's proverbial shorts, and I use Firefox and Chrome both equally.

I still have hopes that FS is finally going to give up on only doing real support for IE since its end of life date is now known.  What I hope they don't do is to simply transfer allegiance to Edge, but rather pay attention to the most popular web browsers by number of users.

Clearly, just based upon the posts on this very forum, JAWS users can and do download web browsers other that IE, and then use them, all the time.  You just end up with peculiarities such as the one you've described when not using IE.

Brian

Mario

I'd like to see some support of the Opera programs, like the browser and email client. but I don't know the well being of Opera, if it's a good alternative to IE or FF.