Question On Upgradeing to IE 11 from IE 10

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

With the ending of Microsoft support for IE 10, I’m planning to upgrade to IE 11 soon, perhaps as early as sometime this week-end.

However, in light of problems that Adrian and others have had with the upgrade, I must ask a question.

If I upgrade to IE 11, does that over-write IE 10, or will IE 10 still be on my machine, if I need to go back to it for some reason?  This is obviously not what I would like to do, but I just want to be sure the option is there if needed.

I have been using Firefox more and more as my main internet browser, but still would like to have IE handy as a backup.

One of these days, I’ll try google chrome, but it may be a while yet until I get the time to do so.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

           Since IE is closely integrated into the Windows operating system there cannot be two versions of that software on a single machine at the same time.  As Adrian has noted if an IE11 install fails the typical result is an automatic rollback to whatever version of IE you had on your machine before attempting to install it.

Brian

Tom Behler

So, then, I’m stuck with IE 11 if it successfully installs, even though it may result in lessened accessibility in comparison to IE 10?

Am using Jaws 16 and windows 7 here.

Tom Behler

           Since IE is closely integrated into the Windows operating system there cannot be two versions of that software on a single machine at the same time.  As Adrian has noted if an IE11 install fails the typical result is an automatic rollback to whatever version of IE you had on your machine before attempting to install it.

Brian

Mario

yes, you will need IE even if you don't ever use it. IE 11 will override 10. it maybe a little convoluted and even maybe unnecessary, but I'd uninstall Java and Flash before upgrading to IE 11. I'd also disable, and even try to remove, any addons, accellerators and other junk that appears in the addons manager. this will give you a lickity split experience. IE 10 didn't have any cruft (junk), why should 11? and you may have to uninstall any other program the IE 11 installation might ask you to remove. then reinstall Flash and Java after a reboot.

If you should have to go back to IE 10, uninstalling 11 should roll you back with no problem.

On 1/8/2016 6:34 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Hello, everyone.

With the ending of Microsoft support for IE 10, I’m planning to upgrade
to IE 11 soon, perhaps as early as sometime this week-end.

However, in light of problems that Adrian and others have had with the
upgrade, I must ask a question.

If I upgrade to IE 11, does that over-write IE 10, or will IE 10 still
be on my machine, if I need to go back to it for some reason? This is
obviously not what I would like to do, but I just want to be sure the
option is there if needed.

I have been using Firefox more and more as my main internet browser, but
still would like to have IE handy as a backup.

One of these days, I’ll try google chrome, but it may be a while yet
until I get the time to do so.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks, Mario.

I'll let you and the others know how I do.

Tom Behler

[...]

David Moore

Hi,
I have used IE 11 for a year and a half, and it is just as accessible as IE 10. It works almost exactly the same. It is so similar, that FS never did a webinar on IE 11. It freezes up, and that is why I use Firefox or Chrome much more than IE. However, there are sites that work best if you use IE 11, so it is good to have it. IE 11 is accessible. Have a great one.

So, then, I’m stuck with IE 11 if it successfully installs, even though it may result in lessened accessibility in comparison to IE 10?

Am using Jaws 16 and windows 7 here.

Tom Behler

           Since IE is closely integrated into the Windows operating system there cannot be two versions of that software on a single machine at the same time.  As Adrian has noted if an IE11 install fails the typical result is an automatic rollback to whatever version of IE you had on your machine before attempting to install it.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

IE11 freezing up, is 1 of the similarities it does not share with IE10.  LOL
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!