JAWS Friendly FTP Client

Brad Martin

Once upon a time, you could use Windows Explorer to access FTP servers. According to Google, you still can, but my computer disagrees. Following Microsoft's instructions, no matter what I do, I get an error that says the folder I'm specifying is invalid. So I'm totally over that.

I know how to use FTP from the command line, but I've got some really awkwardly long file names, and I'd rather not have to type them exactly. (It's a UNIX server so capitalization even matters.)

Can anybody recommend a basic FTP client that JAWS reads well? Ideally free. I don't need anything fancy; I just want the ability to copy some files from a regular folder on my computer and paste them into the FTP server, and the other way around.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

           I cannot speak at all to accessibility, since I've never had a client with a need for FTP capability, but you should definitely give Filezilla a try to see if it plays well with JAWS.  It's a great little FTP client, and if it does play well with JAWS I'll bet you'll love it.  It's free and open-source, so there's no risk in trying it and it's been around for a very, very long time.

Brian

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Filezilla is pretty good, unless they went south for the winter as I have not used it since last January or so…

Once upon a time, you could use Windows Explorer to access FTP servers. According to Google, you still can, but my computer disagrees. Following Microsoft's instructions, no matter what I do, I get an error that says the folder I'm specifying is invalid. So I'm totally over that.

I know how to use FTP from the command line, but I've got some really awkwardly long file names, and I'd rather not have to type them exactly. (It's a UNIX server so capitalization even matters.)

Can anybody recommend a basic FTP client that JAWS reads well? Ideally free. I don't need anything fancy; I just want the ability to copy some files from a regular folder on my computer and paste them into the FTP server, and the other way around.

Thanks,
Brad

Feliciano G

FileZilla is good. I use it at work from time to time.

On Jan 7, 2016, at 6:24 PM, Kimsan <kimsansong@...> wrote:

[...]

James Homuth

fileZilla is definitely accessible with JAWS. I use that and WinSCP on a regular basis. I recommend WinSCP over FileZilla only because it lets you edit a remote file locally. As a linux sysadmin, I use that pretty extensively--mostly because I'm lazy, and typing "nano <filename>" just takes too long.

           I cannot speak at all to accessibility, since I've never had a client with a need for FTP capability, but you should definitely give Filezilla a try to see if it plays well with JAWS.  It's a great little FTP client, and if it does play well with JAWS I'll bet you'll love it.  It's free and open-source, so there's no risk in trying it and it's been around for a very, very long time.

Brian

Brad Martin

Oooo, nice touch. I saw the name WinSCP, but couldn't remember where I've seen it before so didn't know if it was reputable. But local editing of files on a linux box certainly has its appeal. I think we have a winner.

Brad

fileZilla is definitely accessible with JAWS. I use that and WinSCP on a regular basis. I recommend WinSCP over FileZilla only because it lets you edit a remote file locally. As a linux sysadmin, I use that pretty extensively--mostly because I'm lazy, and typing "nano <filename>" just takes too long.

           I cannot speak at all to accessibility, since I've never had a client with a need for FTP capability, but you should definitely give Filezilla a try to see if it plays well with JAWS.  It's a great little FTP client, and if it does play well with JAWS I'll bet you'll love it.  It's free and open-source, so there's no risk in trying it and it's been around for a very, very long time.

Brian

Londa Peterson

Fillezilla is completely accessible with JAWS. I've used it since JAWS 10.