classic firefox theme

dennis

i found this just now and thaught it might fix the wevism problem folks are having.
I recently installed Firefox 29, which added several new features to the popular browser.

These are mainly a combination of user interface-related goodies and stability improvements. For example, users can now enjoy redesigned tabs and the ability
to customize the front-end by adding more buttons and functions.

firefoxlogo

While these customization options are definitely welcomed, however, Firefox almost always seems to “break” or change something that didn’t need to be touched
in the first place.

Firefox 29 Issues

The latest Firefox 29 stops you from performing several, seemingly basic things that could frustrate those who are picky about their customization options.

Among these changes include the inability to move the Reload button from its default place or see the Status Bar the same way you used to.

The Reload button now sits to the right of the Address Bar, while the Status Bar only shows items when they are installed.

Additionally, it’s important to note that the so-called Status Bar is now called the Add-on Bar.

The issue with the latter (at least in my case) is the fact that some of my frequently-used add-ons are not yet compatible with the latest Firefox version
or its visual overhaul.

Initially, I thought the best way to restore Firefox to its former glory was to downgrade to a previous version. While this option technically works, it
is counter-intuitive.

Then I found a Firefox plugin (or add-on) called Classic Theme Restorer.

What Does Classic Theme Restorer Do?

The add-on performs a lot of the things that are shockingly unavailable in the latest Firefox update. For example, you can move the Reload button and restore
the old Status Bar (Add-on Bar) to the way it looked before. Additionally, you can place your tabs toward the very top of the browser or underneath the
Menu Bar.

Thankfully, all of my favorite features were working again when I installed Classic Theme Restorer. This includes plugins/add-ons that were no longer functioning
under the new user interface.

Note that the current Firefox version remains the same; the plugin merely restores its former visual settings.

How to Install Classic Theme Restorer

Click here
to download Classic Theme Restorer.

Click “Add to Firefox” followed by “Allow” from the subsequent pop-up menu.

theme-restorer-add

theme-restorer-install

Restart the browser when asked, and voila! You are all set with its installation.

How to Customize Firefox Options

Click the “Tools” menu from the Menu Bar, then click “Classic Theme Restorer.”

Customize any desired option as you see fit, including browser tab positioning and the inclusion of the classic Status Bar (again, now shown as the Add-on
bar.)

theme-restorer-tools-menu

As you can see, every option you modified works like a charm again – including the return of the classic Status Bar:

theme-restorer-customize-screen

How to Move Firefox Items

Simply click an empty area toward the top of the browser (such as the empty space next to the Menu Bar) and then click “Customize.” You will be greeted
with the following screen:

theme-restorer-dialog

Drag and drop any of the available items on the main screen to the top of your browser. Otherwise, drag and move any existing buttons at the top and drop
them anywhere you wish.

theme-restorer-customize-screen

I hope this helps anyone looking to move the Firefox Reload button, restore the classic Menu Bar and any other feature missing from this latest update.

~ Adrian

Gerald Levy

So will this add-on make Webvisum work with Firefox 43 without resorting to the work around I have previously posted?

Gerald

[...]

i don't use webvisum so i don't know if it does or doesn't. it's just an add on so if it doesn't work you can just uninstall it.

-----Original Message----- From: dennis
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 2:28 PM
To: jfw@groups.io

[...]

Gerald Levy asked, "So will this add-on make Webvisum work with Firefox 43 without resorting to the work around I have previously posted?"

No, you must still set xpinstall.signatures.required to false from within about:config.  I've got this add-on and just checked to see whether it messed with that setting and, as I expected, it does not.  It would probably be pulled from the add-ons returned within Firefox if it did, since this is a recently introduced security feature.

Brian

Brad Martin

I wouldn't think so. I have this addon, and it's purely cosmetic. I wouldn't think it would allow unverified addons to run.

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 2:28 PM
To: jfw@groups.io

[...]

Robert Logue

Are there instruction for screen reader users? Didn't see any. Just Click on empty space and drag and drop which don't always work well with screen readers. Do we turn virtual cursor off first?

I hope it work well with Jaws. I also hope it is secure. It is not an official Mozilla add on so am not happy to ad more 3rd party plugins from unknown companies just to fixaccessibility that was broken by Mozilla.

On 1/6/2016 12:28 PM, dennis wrote:
[...]

As Brad Martin has already mentioned, the Firefox Classic Theme Restorer is purely cosmetic in nature.  If you are accessing Firefox with JAWS it is really neither here nor there unless it were to break something with accessibility.  I can't really see what purpose it would serve if you literally can't see it.

Firefox does not, by default, show the Menu Bar on initial installation anymore.  It can, however, be toggled back on by hitting ALT+V, followed by T, followed by M.

Not that it's a perfect security measure, but the whole reason for add-on signing is to increase the security profile of a given add-on.  Firefox Classic Theme Restorer is signed and can be verified by Firefox.

Brian

Paul D. J. Jenkins <pdjj6123@...>

Good evening Brian and All!

  Is there a way to activate a similar menu bar in Google Chrome, please?

Thanks,

Paul

As Brad Martin has already mentioned, the Firefox Classic Theme Restorer is purely cosmetic in nature.  If you are accessing Firefox with JAWS it is really neither here nor there unless it were to break something with accessibility.  I can't really see what purpose it would serve if you literally can't see it.

Firefox does not, by default, show the Menu Bar on initial installation anymore.  It can, however, be toggled back on by hitting ALT+V, followed by T, followed by M.

Not that it's a perfect security measure, but the whole reason for add-on signing is to increase the security profile of a given add-on.  Firefox Classic Theme Restorer is signed and can be verified by Firefox.

Brian

Paul,

        As far as I know there is absolutely no way, including via extensions, to make a Menu Bar appear in Chrome.  Given conversations I've had off forum with several members regarding things that are "point and click" buttons for me, but that JAWS does not seem to have a mechanism to navigate to in any direct and simple way, I don't how exactly how one would even access Chrome's Customize and Control menu button, AKA the hamburger stack button.

        I've just read a couple of other threads mentioning that Chrome is reasonably accessible, but I still don't get how one would operate the major "under the hood controls."  David Moore mentioned having recently put together a tutorial on Chrome he's willing to share in this post.  I've asked for a copy since any documentation on Chrome and screen readers is, relatively speaking, sparse.

Brian

Brad Martin

Not sure what a hamburger stack is, although I did have a good hamburger tonight. But in Chrome, pressing Alt causes JAWS to say "Chrome menu" and arrowing down seems to present a single-file line of options that seem to be just a long line of menu choices. I don't know if they're all inclusive, but all the big hits seem to be there.

Brad

On 1/7/2016 7:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

          The button for "the main menu" in Chrome looks like three vertical lines, with rounded ends, stacked atop each other.  I've now seen multiple references to "the hamburger stack button" in Chrome, Firefox, and elsewhere.  It is beginning to spread like a virus to be the "menu button menu."

           I don't know if I was tired and brain dead last night or if my computer was, but pressing ALT in Chrome then was doing nothing.  Tonight, an ALT press highlights the hamburger stack button and a down arrow makes the menu options appear.  It also lists the keyboard shortcuts for a number of the more commonly used functions, e.g., Ctrl+J for show downloads (also in a tab, not a dialog box), Ctrl+T for new tab, Ctrl+N for new Chrome window, etc.  I still don't like this nearly as much as the standard Windows menu conventions that have been present in virtually every Windows program for decades where ALT+ appropriate character brings up a menu and then pressing successive letters for functions under that menu, sub functions under sub menus, etc., can drill you down deep into the menu structure to get to what you need in a matter of a few keystrokes and seconds.

Brian