Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Tom Behler

Hello.

Can someone give me the steps to update Internet Explorer to IE 11?

Currently, on this laptop I use for work, I have IE 9.

As we all know, IE 9 will soon not be supported, so I’m thinking I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to IE 11.

For reasons I still don’t understand, I had significant problems when trying to enter information into text edit boxes in IE 11 on my home computer this past summer, so I thought I’d upgrade the work computer to IE 11 first, and deal with the home PC from there.

I’m currently using Jaws 16 with Windows 7.

Also, when you upgrade, are your favorites preserved, or will I have to re-create them for the new version?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

Given your concern about your favorites, and even though I believe these are preserved as part of a version update, you should back them up first.  Presuing that Microsoft hasn't changed the menu structure (I only have IE11) you do this via the File menu, import and export option.

Next you will go to the Microsoft page for Internet Explorer Download.  The page is automatically set up to check your system for the version you have and to present you with the download button for the latest version that will run on your system.  If memory serves, clicking that button will initiate the entire update process, which I'm sure includes download, dialog boxes once the upgrade starts, etc.

IE11, like most browsers these days, does not display the menu bar by default.  Presuming you want that back on a permanent basis.  Hit Alt to bring up the menu bar for temporary display.  Under the View menu choose the Toolbars item and then check Menu Bar in the sidebar of items that comes up when you have chosen menu bar.

I hope this is enough to at least let you take a swing at this.  I've done this upgrade many times but I haven't done it in a while and I loathe Internet Explorer, so I don't use it or do this on a routine enough basis to remember each and every tiny step in the actual upgrade process itself.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

I just downgraded from IE11 to IE10, and so far, performance is improved. I’m also using Win7, along with JAWS 17. I’m told that IE11 was created to address certain browser problems associated with other operating systems and that IE10 is still supported by MS.

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:26 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Hello.

Can someone give me the steps to update Internet Explorer to IE 11?

Currently, on this laptop I use for work, I have IE 9.

As we all know, IE 9 will soon not be supported, so I’m thinking I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to IE 11.

For reasons I still don’t understand, I had significant problems when trying to enter information into text edit boxes in IE 11 on my home computer this past summer, so I thought I’d upgrade the work computer to IE 11 first, and deal with the home PC from there.

I’m currently using Jaws 16 with Windows 7.

Also, when you upgrade, are your favorites preserved, or will I have to re-create them for the new version?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Adrian,

Just FYI, and this is the long view, but Microsoft has already announced that Internet Explorer official support is going to end.  The introduction of Edge with Windows 10 is the debut of the intended replacement.  Edge is definitely a good browser but equally definitely nowhere near to maturity and it was released without a number of features, add-on support being the most obvious, that are now considered essential for any browser to become or remain competitive.

There is absolutely no way that Freedom Scientific or any screen reader maker is going to be able to remain with IE as the default Microsoft browser over the long term.  Having this in the back of your mind may at least help to ease the shock when the inevitable announcements come about the shift to Edge or the decision to throw over primary support to Chrome, which is eating the shorts of every other web browser out there in terms of user base these days.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

Brian,

You’re missing the point that JAWS does not support Edge at this time, and we’ve received indications it may not do so for a year. My comment was solely meant to reassure listers that IE10, like IE11, remains supported, unlike the situation with IE9.

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Adrian,

Just FYI, and this is the long view, but Microsoft has already announced that Internet Explorer official support is going to end.  The introduction of Edge with Windows 10 is the debut of the intended replacement.  Edge is definitely a good browser but equally definitely nowhere near to maturity and it was released without a number of features, add-on support being the most obvious, that are now considered essential for any browser to become or remain competitive.

There is absolutely no way that Freedom Scientific or any screen reader maker is going to be able to remain with IE as the default Microsoft browser over the long term.  Having this in the back of your mind may at least help to ease the shock when the inevitable announcements come about the shift to Edge or the decision to throw over primary support to Chrome, which is eating the shorts of every other web browser out there in terms of user base these days.

Brian

Adrian,

No, I wasn't missing that point at all.

There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer.  I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know.  All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software.  I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next annointed one(s)."

Brian

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Adrian,

There are already websites where IE is not supported. There is talk of Edge being accessible one day, but I could see one of those others being “anointed.”

Cindy Lou

There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer.  I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know.  All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software.  I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next annointed one(s)."

Brian

Adrian Spratt

But to make that point, you needed to acknowledge the inaccessibility of Edge. Otherwise, you create the impression that there is no MS browser option.

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 11:08 AM

Adrian,

Brian

Adrian Spratt wrote: "But to make that point, you needed to acknowledge the inaccessibility of Edge. Otherwise, you create the impression that there is no MS browser option."

Er, no.

I have mentioned in the past, and just introduced a brand new thread regarding, the presence of IE11 on Windows 10.

I don't have to spell out absolutely everything, and I don't.

Tom Behler

Thanks for these steps, Brian, and yes, I’ll be sure to back up my favorites before I do anything.

I haven’t done the favorites backup for a while, but believe I have instructions here.

I, like many others, am getting less and less dependent on internet explorer, and prefer Firefox as my main browser, but want to have IE available at least as a second alternative if nothing else.

Dr.  Tom Behler

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 9:30 AM

Tom,

Given your concern about your favorites, and even though I believe these are preserved as part of a version update, you should back them up first.  Presuing that Microsoft hasn't changed the menu structure (I only have IE11) you do this via the File menu, import and export option.

Next you will go to the Microsoft page for Internet Explorer Download.  The page is automatically set up to check your system for the version you have and to present you with the download button for the latest version that will run on your system.  If memory serves, clicking that button will initiate the entire update process, which I'm sure includes download, dialog boxes once the upgrade starts, etc.

IE11, like most browsers these days, does not display the menu bar by default.  Presuming you want that back on a permanent basis.  Hit Alt to bring up the menu bar for temporary display.  Under the View menu choose the Toolbars item and then check Menu Bar in the sidebar of items that comes up when you have chosen menu bar.

I hope this is enough to at least let you take a swing at this.  I've done this upgrade many times but I haven't done it in a while and I loathe Internet Explorer, so I don't use it or do this on a routine enough basis to remember each and every tiny step in the actual upgrade process itself.

Brian

Onwardbob

HI, just how do you backup "favorites"? W-7, IE, and J-17

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:43 AM

Thanks for these steps, Brian, and yes, I’ll be sure to back up my favorites before I do anything.

I haven’t done the favorites backup for a while, but believe I have instructions here.

I, like many others, am getting less and less dependent on internet explorer, and prefer Firefox as my main browser, but want to have IE available at least as a second alternative if nothing else.

Dr. Tom Behler

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 9:30 AM

Tom,

Given your concern about your favorites, and even though I believe these are preserved as part of a version update, you should back them up first. Presuing that Microsoft hasn't changed the menu structure (I only have IE11) you do this via the File menu, import and export option.

Next you will go to the Microsoft page for Internet Explorer Download <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download-ie> . The page is automatically set up to check your system for the version you have and to present you with the download button for the latest version that will run on your system. If memory serves, clicking that button will initiate the entire update process, which I'm sure includes download, dialog boxes once the upgrade starts, etc.

IE11, like most browsers these days, does not display the menu bar by default. Presuming you want that back on a permanent basis. Hit Alt to bring up the menu bar for temporary display. Under the View menu choose the Toolbars item and then check Menu Bar in the sidebar of items that comes up when you have chosen menu bar.

I hope this is enough to at least let you take a swing at this. I've done this upgrade many times but I haven't done it in a while and I loathe Internet Explorer, so I don't use it or do this on a routine enough basis to remember each and every tiny step in the actual upgrade process itself.

Brian

Edited

Bob, 

Here's how you back up your favorites.  You can also use this method to export them for later importing into a different browser.  I will denote hitting the next button with a hyphen followed by a right angle bracket.  Each step is on its own line.

File Menu

Import and Export , , , item

-> Export to a file radio button

-> Favorites Checkbox

-> Select Folder to export from (Favorites already chosen by default)

-> Where do you want to export your file? (the usual edit box with the folder path & file name, plus a browse button to change the save location)

Hit Export button at the bottom of the "Where do you" dialog

You're done.  Just remember where you put them if you ever need them.  It's not a bad idea to do this "just because" every once in a while if your Favorites get modified on a regular basis.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Chrome has its own issues with JAWS, or the other way round.  FS does not recommend it, and it caused me some grief earlier.  Every advance since Windows 1.X has raised the specter of losing our hard-won autonomy, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Ted

Adrian,

There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer.  I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know.  All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software.  I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next anointed one(s)."

Brian

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

It definitely caused me grief when I tried it, but haven't tried with IE 11 and JAWS 17.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2016 2:44 PM

Chrome has its own issues with JAWS, or the other way round. FS does not recommend it, and it caused me some grief earlier. Every advance since Windows 1.X has raised the specter of losing our hard-won autonomy, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Ted

Adrian,

There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer. I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know. All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software. I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next anointed one(s)."

Brian

Mario

I've just upgraded to IE11 and experienced no problems. but I'm using JAWS 16. frankly, I don't really think it would make a difference if JAWS 17 is being used.

On 1/7/2016 6:53 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
It definitely caused me grief when I tried it, but haven't tried with IE 11 and JAWS 17.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Chrome has its own issues with JAWS, or the other way round. FS does not recommend it, and it caused me some grief earlier. Every advance since Windows 1.X has raised the specter of losing our hard-won autonomy, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Ted

Adrian,

There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer. I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know. All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software. I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next anointed one(s)."

Brian

David Moore

Hi,
Google Chrome is pretty accessible for me when using it with win10 and JAWS 17. I have a tutorial that I did on Chrome if you want me to send it to you. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:53 PM

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Ted

Adrian,

Brian