Need Steps For Updating Internet Explorer

Tom Behler

Hello.

Can someone give me the steps to update Internet Explorer to IE 11?

Currently, on this laptop I use for work, I have IE 9.

As we all know, IE 9 will soon not be supported, so I’m thinking I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to IE 11.

For reasons I still don’t understand, I had significant problems when trying to enter information into text edit boxes in IE 11 on my home computer this past summer, so I thought I’d upgrade the work computer to IE 11 first, and deal with the home PC from there.

I’m currently using Jaws 16 with Windows 7.

Also, when you upgrade, are your favorites preserved, or will I have to re-create them for the new version?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom,

            Given your concern about your favorites, and even though I believe these are preserved as part of a version update, you should back them up first.  Presuing that Microsoft hasn't changed the menu structure (I only have IE11) you do this via the File menu, import and export option.

             Next you will go to the Microsoft page for Internet Explorer Download.  The page is automatically set up to check your system for the version you have and to present you with the download button for the latest version that will run on your system.  If memory serves, clicking that button will initiate the entire update process, which I'm sure includes download, dialog boxes once the upgrade starts, etc.

             IE11, like most browsers these days, does not display the menu bar by default.  Presuming you want that back on a permanent basis.  Hit Alt to bring up the menu bar for temporary display.  Under the View menu choose the Toolbars item and then check Menu Bar in the sidebar of items that comes up when you have chosen menu bar.

             I hope this is enough to at least let you take a swing at this.  I've done this upgrade many times but I haven't done it in a while and I loathe Internet Explorer, so I don't use it or do this on a routine enough basis to remember each and every tiny step in the actual upgrade process itself.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

I just downgraded from IE11 to IE10, and so far, performance is improved. I’m also using Win7, along with JAWS 17. I’m told that IE11 was created to address certain browser problems associated with other operating systems and that IE10 is still supported by MS.

Can someone give me the steps to update Internet Explorer to IE 11?

Currently, on this laptop I use for work, I have IE 9.

As we all know, IE 9 will soon not be supported, so I’m thinking I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to IE 11.

For reasons I still don’t understand, I had significant problems when trying to enter information into text edit boxes in IE 11 on my home computer this past summer, so I thought I’d upgrade the work computer to IE 11 first, and deal with the home PC from there.

I’m currently using Jaws 16 with Windows 7.

Also, when you upgrade, are your favorites preserved, or will I have to re-create them for the new version?

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Adrian,

          Just FYI, and this is the long view, but Microsoft has already announced that Internet Explorer official support is going to end.  The introduction of Edge with Windows 10 is the debut of the intended replacement.  Edge is definitely a good browser but equally definitely nowhere near to maturity and it was released without a number of features, add-on support being the most obvious, that are now considered essential for any browser to become or remain competitive.

          There is absolutely no way that Freedom Scientific or any screen reader maker is going to be able to remain with IE as the default Microsoft browser over the long term.  Having this in the back of your mind may at least help to ease the shock when the inevitable announcements come about the shift to Edge or the decision to throw over primary support to Chrome, which is eating the shorts of every other web browser out there in terms of user base these days.

Brian

Adrian Spratt

Brian,

You’re missing the point that JAWS does not support Edge at this time, and we’ve received indications it may not do so for a year. My comment was solely meant to reassure listers that IE10, like IE11, remains supported, unlike the situation with IE9.

[...]

          No, I wasn't missing that point at all.

          There are a lot of people who pay no attention at all to the technical press, and for good reason, so they don't even know that the writing is on the wall with regard to Internet Explorer.  I wasn't sure if you might be one of those people, and there are certainly readers here who might not know.  All I was trying to do was to spread the word that Internet Explorer really is a dead end now and that something else will rise to take its place with the companies doing screen reading software.  I've been praying for Firefox or Chrome to be "the next annointed one(s)."

Brian

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>