Firefox WebVisum problem

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

I’ve just updated to Windows 10, so am updating other things as well. I don’t use Firefox often, but I do use it especially for capchas. I think I am running the latest update now, but it tells me that WebVisum could not be verified for use with Firefox and has been disabled. How do I get this back or allow it to run?

Jean

Gerald Levy

Firefox 43, the latest version, introduced a security feature that prevents
unsigned, third-party add-ons like Webvisum from working.  If you depend on
Webvisum to solve image captchas like many of us do, follow these steps to
get it to work with Firefox 43:

1.  Open Firefox 43 and in the address bar, type the below line as seen with
no spaces:
about:config
2.  You will get a Firefox warning saying: 'This may void your warranty.'
Click on  the button that sardonically says: 'I'll be careful, I promise.'
3.  tab once to the list of 700 or so items and press the letter X. You are
looking for the below item:
xpinstall.signatures.required
4.  When this item is highlighted, press the context keyh or right click and
choose toggel or press T (same thing.) 5.  The highlighted value should
change to false as in:
xpinstall.signatures.required;false

Then press control + W to close the window and when you run Firefox again,
Webvisum should work.

Gerald

Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:55 PM
Subject: Firefox WebVisum problem

I’ve just updated to Windows 10, so am updating other things as well. I don’t use Firefox often, but I do use it especially for capchas. I think I am running the latest update now, but it tells me that WebVisum could not be verified for use with Firefox and has been disabled. How do I get this back or allow it to run?

Jean

Jean & Gerald,

      Based on this thread I have written to the folks who code WebVisum to ask if they intend to create a signed version.

      Gerald's instructions definitely work, but they also disable what I think is a valuable security feature that Firefox has added.  Any add-on coder is going to have to update their add-ons to be signed if they are to have any long term future.  I am hoping that the reply will be that a signed add-on is in the works.  If it is, and you get it, it's worth reversing that tweak to allow unsigned add-ons.

Brian

Cristóbal

Good luck hearing back from them. As has been mentioned before, the add-on is more or less a zombi now. Dev’s aren’t supporting it or responding  to inquiries. It’ll work until it doesn’t at this point.

It would be great if you did get any sort of anser back though.

      Based on this thread I have written to the folks who code WebVisum to ask if they intend to create a signed version.

      Gerald's instructions definitely work, but they also disable what I think is a valuable security feature that Firefox has added.  Any add-on coder is going to have to update their add-ons to be signed if they are to have any long term future.  I am hoping that the reply will be that a signed add-on is in the works.  If it is, and you get it, it's worth reversing that tweak to allow unsigned add-ons.

Brian

O.Addison Gethers

Hello Jean,

The Lady from Microsoft disability support did helped me last week to get webvisum to work with firefox 43 she able get webvisum to login firefox without any problem when she was reading Carlos instruction !! If you have that instruction from Carlos it’s will work but I can not remember how did Ashley do it .

Addison

I’ve just updated to Windows 10, so am updating other things as well. I don’t use Firefox often, but I do use it especially for capchas. I think I am running the latest update now, but it tells me that WebVisum could not be verified for use with Firefox and has been disabled. How do I get this back or allow it to run?

Jean

cecropia64

Good luck.  I wrote to them and got no reply at all.  Nobody seems to be home at the Web Visum site.  I doubt that they will say or do anything to repair the non-functioning addon.  But I'm glad to see that someone besides me and a few others are trying to do something.  It's kind of refreshing.

On 1/5/2016 6:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Jean & Gerald,

      Based on this thread I have written to the folks who code WebVisum to ask if they intend to create a signed version.

      Gerald's instructions definitely work, but they also disable what I think is a valuable security feature that Firefox has added.  Any add-on coder is going to have to update their add-ons to be signed if they are to have any long term future.  I am hoping that the reply will be that a signed add-on is in the works.  If it is, and you get it, it's worth reversing that tweak to allow unsigned add-ons.

Brian

Mario

I sent a request to the coders of WV to sign or have Mozilla's ADO team sign so blind users can still solve those awnery CAPTCHAs.

and I've recently upgraded FF to 43.0.1 and my WV was still working. I did not have to do the hack. I hope when FF 44 comes out, WV is still working.

On 1/5/2016 6:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Jean & Gerald,

Based on this thread I have written to the folks who code
WebVisum to ask if they intend to create a signed version.

Gerald's instructions definitely work, but they also disable what
I think is a valuable security feature that Firefox has added. Any
add-on coder is going to have to update their add-ons to be signed if
they are to have any long term future. I am hoping that the reply will
be that a signed add-on is in the works. If it is, and you get it, it's
worth reversing that tweak to allow unsigned add-ons.

Brian

O.Addison Gethers

Hello All.

When I had firefox 42 and 43 webvisum will not login at all because firefox version 42 and 43 wasn't compalible so here what 's Carlos give me instruction to make firefox default browser !! Here is Carlos instruction below and the lady name Ashley from microsoft disability support did helped me last week .

Addison

WebVisum works in Firefox version 42.  It will also work in version 43 if you change the following setting.

Type
about:config
in the Firefox address bar and press enter.  Confirm that you will be
careful if a warning page is displayed.  Find the item labeled
xpinstall.signatures.require
in the list of options.  Press Enter on the preference to toggle its value so that it is set to false.

To stop Firefox from updating, open the

"Tools"

menu, select

"Options"

navigate to the
"Advanced"

tab, then to the

"Update"

tab, and make sure that the

"Never check for updates"
radio button is checked.

Note that WebVisum may or may not work in version 44 and will almost certainly not work in version 45 if the developer does not sign the add-on.  If you want to continue using it at that point, either stop your existing installation from updating as described above or install a second copy and configure it not to update.  You can then run the second copy only when you need to use WebVisum.  A portable copy of Firefox might be better for this purpose which you can download here.

http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/portableapps/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./