JAWS command for "SaySysTray" ...

HAMILTON

HI ALL, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Among some of the more bothersome differences between JAWS 16 and JAWS 17 is
the following irony:

Although I have set "SaySysTray", in JAWS 17 - as I had it set in JAWS 16,
to: "ins/JAWSKey+F11", this command will not work. It just "sits there"!

Farther down the JAWS 17 list of JAWS Keyboard commands is:
"ViewSysTrayItems", and this is set to: "control+shift+F11". However, this
simply displays a list of what's on the SysTray; but, you cannot take any
action on the listed SysTray items. Whereas, with the "SaySysTray" command,
you could "do something" with the items on the SysTray, e.g. open the
"context menu" to "safely remove hardware", access network settings, etc.

Suggestions, as to how to get this function to work, will be gratefully
welcomed. Thank you.

Jim H

P.S.: When I can as clearly identify/describe other "bothersome" JAWS 17
issues, "I'll be back"!

Adrian Spratt

Try the Windows command, Windows key+b.

I don’t really understand this post. For example, a user doesn’t “set” the insert-F11 command. it’s a JAWS keystroke designated for putting focus in the system tray.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

All I could get was:

Network 3
Internet Avccess
Speakers, 54 percent

I have no idea what I should be able to do with that information, but
when I pressed Control-Shift F11, that is what I got.

I have JAWS 17, last update and Windows 10.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

That did it - Windows B as in Bravo. It provided a lot of helpful
information. Thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Les and Jane Kriegler <KRIEGLER@...>

I don't have this problem with Jaws 17. Insert-F11 works as it always has.
Sounds like you either need to perform a Jaws Repair or something else is
going on with your system.

Les

[...]

Insert F11 gives me Network 3 Internet Access (one of two, it says) and
Speakers 54 percent, but if I do Windows B, I get a lot of information.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Soronel Haetir

jaws+f11 gives a dialog with the tray items in a list, along with
buttons that allow a left single click, left double click or right
single click. win+t actually puts focus in the tray area and you have
to use regular jaws keys to do clicks.

And jaws 17 did not change what occurs for me in any appreciable way.

I looked at my key bindings and see that Say System Tray is not bound.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

When I press Insert F11, it says Select a Systems Tray Item, one of two. When I hit Windows B, it gives me the notifications, systems tray, time, stuff about Lenovo, way more selections.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

hmmm, i receive the same information either way here.

Legend has it that on Monday 1/4/2016 06:23 PM, Carolyn Arnold said:
[...]

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

Page, Aaron

Hi Carolyn,

I have found that I have to make all of the notification tray icons visible in order for them to be seen by JAWS. By default Windows will collapse the notification tray and I believe JAWS may not be seeing the icons when they are collapsed. Here are the steps in Windows 10:

1. Press Windows+b
2. Use arrows to move to the date/time
3. Press Shift+F10 or press your application key and select Properties
4. Tab to and select the Customize button
5. Tab to and select "Select which icons appear on the task bar"
6. Press Tab then Ctrl+Home to move to the "Always show all icons in the notification area" button (this is read as "button" by JAWS but behaves as a checkbox)
7. Press Spacebar to check the box

As soon as you check the box you can press Insert+F11 to view your complete list of system tray icons. I have done this on all of my computers using JAWS. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aaron M. Page

[...]

Aaron,

         What's interesting in Windows 10, at least the part of the interface that follows the new format, is that the object you describe is neither a button nor a checkbox, but a relatively recent addition to the GUI pantheon known as a slider switch.  It behaves, as you note, exactly like a checkbox and has the states of "On" or "Off."

         I don't know if either of the following ways of getting to the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" settings would be faster and/or easier than the method you've already offered, but I thought I'd mention both of them.

  1. You can enter "select icons" as the search criteria in the Cortana/Windows Search box and the only thing returned from the search is the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" icon.
  2. If you happen to be in Settings already, using "select icons" in the search box inside the Settings dialog also returns only the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" icon.

At that point I'd imagine a single Tab would land you on that search result to activate it and tweak the setting for showing all icons to which you've already referred.

Brian

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Thank you. I copied the instructions and went through them fronm Braille.