From: Laura Richardson [mailto:laurakr65@...]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 7:04 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Home based employment

Hi list members,

I’m currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or other home based position  but am not sure what extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.  Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?  I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home based employment?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Michael Mote

Hi Laura!  It really depends on the position you are taking, and what their specific requirements are.  You may want to consult with whoever you are working for or plan to work for in the future to get an idea of what they want you to use.  You will most likely need a fast Internet connection that is wired.  Wifi works sometimes, but there are no guarantees.  Also, a wired connection is much more secure.  You may also need a land line for telephone purposes, although some companies use soft phone applications now that run on your computer.  Again, that really depends on the company you work for, and what their requirements are for the job itself.  Hope this helps!

I’m currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or other home based position  but am not sure what extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.  Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?  I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home based employment?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

SingingHearts <singinghearts@...>

I have improvised with a headset for one source and earbuds for the
other when doing medical transcription from home with one side of the
headset covering one ear and one earbud in the other. A refreshable
braille display/notetaker was very helpful, too. The companies I've
worked for provided the transcription-specific equipment (hardware and
software). Many medical references are available online. Searching
them out ahead of time, bookmarking them, and familiarizing yourself
with them can be a great timesaver.

Hth,
Tina C.

On 1/4/16, Michael Malver <mmalver@gmail.com> wrote:
You will need a hedset that allows you to hear JAWS in one ear, and the
phone (or whatever audio source you are listening to,) in the other.
Plantronics used to make such a device years ago. You will need this
regardless of whether you work from home, or out of the home.

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."

Brent Harding

I am thinking the Plantronics headset may only work with phone based work because the second side of it isn't just a second 3.5mm plug. I called up Plantronics, and they said it is a special quick disconnect proprietary connection that goes through an amplifier to power the mic, and it may only work with certain desk phones. Although they say it is a special order item with no return policy, the last I checked, Headsets.com claimed to have it in stock, but it is over $200. I'm not sure what one would connect to it if a soft phone is what one needed to use.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or
other home based position but am not sure what extra equipment I might
need
to do these types of jobs from home. Do I need special software, special
headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home
based
employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

mike mcglashon

Ms. Laura:

This is Mike McGlashon and I saw your email on the jaws list earlier this day.

I currently work as a freight dispatcher from my home; I know its not medical transcription but I do use skype to speak with brokers and shippers; and, I use jaws to navigate my loadboards.  Therefore, I may be able to lend a hand if you wish.

My phone is 618 783 9331 if you would like to speak with me directly; elsewise, you can reply to the email provided in the sender box and all will be well.

Sincerely:

Mike M.

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 7:03 AM

Hi list members,

I’m currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or other home based position  but am not sure what extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.  Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?  I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home based employment?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Charles Coe

She is applying for a dictation job.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I do that all the time, when I call the bank or credit card company, earbud in right ear for computer, earbud in left for phone.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription,
or other home based position but am not sure what extra equipment I
might need to do these types of jobs from home. Do I need special
software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I use Windows 7 and
Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home
based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing loss, so I have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

[...]

Hello Laura,

There are many work at home jobs just google them and you will see what I mean.  The problem is several are scams and will cost you money and you will get nothing in return.

I have listed below some web sites you can go to find out about what to look for when searching for a work at home job.

www.bankrate.com

www.clarkhoward.com

www.komando.com

Below are five ledgiment companies that offer work at home jobs. There are also companies such as American Express that also offer work at home opportunities.

1. Alpine Access

Established in 1998, Alpine Access has built a solid reputation in the work from home industry. The company has a reputation for hiring home based agents in a variety of roles, plus they're currently set to open positions in Canada so expect an international market soon.

The Financial Positives:

• You are hired as an employee of the company so you do not have to do your own taxes, have a tax ID number, etc.

• You are paid by the hour not by how many calls you receive.

• You receive a paycheck that is direct deposited into your account.

2. Arise

With Arise, their motto is to give you the freedom to work when and how long you want while earning a paycheck from home. They are a virtual call center which employs thousands of work from home agents for positions all across the board.

When you become a certified agent, you choose the companies you would like to work for and your weekly hours. They offer free live information sessions on their website so you can get more information before applying.

The Financial Positives:

• You are your own boss when it comes to how much you earn once you are accepted by Arise. You work as an independent contractor and you can choose which companies to work for and your hours.

• You can deduct expenses on your taxes for your home office and other fees.

• The potential to earn more based on the quality of your work.

3. West At Home

A leading provider of communication solutions, West At Home hires hundreds of home agents to work on an array of projects. This company has a brick and mortar location as well for agents to work at the call center, however, the main focus is the (At Home) branch.

With West, you are considered an employee and will earn a steady income. They offer paid training and a full interactive guide on their site about working from home.

The Financial positives:

• West offers both an hourly rate and a pay per call rate. The greater of the two is what you will be paid. This is beneficial as if you have a slow day with calls you will still receive a hourly rate, but if you are having a busy day, you will reap the benefits of a per call system.

• West offers discounted Medical and Dental insurance through a provider.

• You have the option of direct deposit or a Pay Card if you do not have a bank account elsewhere for immediate access to your paycheck.

4. Liveops

As one of the largest employers of work from home agents, Liveops has an established reputation within the industry. With over 20,000 agents and growing, they are always seeking new contractors to join their team.

Liveops is a BBB certified company and has been featured on news outlets such as CNN and Forbes Money. Working as an independent contractor means you are your own boss and can control your personal growth with the company.

The Financial positives:

• You are generally paid 25 cents per minute of talk time while some companies pay a base rate and a bonus for commission if you are working a sales geared company. By being a contractor, you can choose which companies you work for and therefore influence your pay.

• You have the freedom to work for other companies at the same time as you're not an employee. This gives you ultimate financial freedom as you can earn with other positions at the same time.

• You are paid 2 times per month usually by direct deposit or by a check sent in the mail.

5. Working Solutions

A force in the Work at Home industry since 1996, Working Solutions has contracts with many leading companies in the US to provide a 24/7 call center experience. Working Solutions employees thousands of work from agents that are highly educated and who are leaders in their chosen fields.

You're hired as an independent contractor and have the freedom to choose which projects you work with. Due to the level of experience being higher than other companies, the pay is also much higher with up to 30$ per hour depending on the type of work.

The Financial Positives:

• By specializing in a certain field, you have the potential to earn much more than usual at home positions.

• There is a paid referral program where you can earn for referring successful new hires.

• You are paid every 2 weeks and you can choose a Check or Direct Deposit when you have work completed.

You should be sure that these and other companies can accomadate JAWES.

Hope this will be of some help to you.

Good Luck.

Charles

I’m currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or other home based position  but am not sure what extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.  Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?  I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home based employment?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

If you get the scissors type, they can be taped together. When I worked, I had three of them taped together - one for Vocal Eyes; one for the main dictation machine and one for cassettes. It worked with no problem.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Adekoya Rasak

big thank to Charles. but please, can a visually impaired person who
lives in a country in Africa enroll for any of tis job opportunit?

regard

On 04/01/2016, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
If you get the scissors type, they can be taped together. When I worked, I
had three of them taped together - one for Vocal Eyes; one for the main
dictation machine and one for cassettes. It worked with no problem.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing loss, so I
have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription,
or other home based position but am not sure what extra equipment I
might need to do these types of jobs from home. Do I need special
software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I use Windows 7 and
Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home
based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not
sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

Jonelle P

Hi to Laura and Tina

I wanted to share that I am a Jaws 16 user who has been working from
home for several companies for over 5 years now, and am also
interested in the best rout to pursuing Medical transcription as a
long-term career. I'll be glad to exchange links and tips about
getting started with working at home. I don't mind shareing my info
and you can email me at my gmail listed above, and we can even share
Skype since that's where a lot of at home companies and agents
connect. Thanks.

Jonelle

On 1/5/16, Adekoya Rasak <rasakadekoya@gmail.com> wrote:
big thank to Charles. but please, can a visually impaired person who
lives in a country in Africa enroll for any of tis job opportunit?

regard

On 04/01/2016, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
If you get the scissors type, they can be taped together. When I worked,
had three of them taped together - one for Vocal Eyes; one for the main
dictation machine and one for cassettes. It worked with no problem.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing loss, so
have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription,
or other home based position but am not sure what extra equipment I
might need to do these types of jobs from home. Do I need special
software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I use Windows 7 and
Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home
based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not
sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

Michael Mote

Hi! I would be interested in your work at home experiences as well.

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing
loss, so I have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical
transcription, or other home based position but am not sure what
extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.
Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I
use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with
home based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

Jonelle P

Hey, sorry for taking long to get back, I almost forgot to respond,
but for more I can share about working at home with companies, you can
reach me on skype at jonelle_nicole but also if anyone can help me
learn how to get started on medical transcription like where to get
certified and maybe what companies to apply to, that would be helpful.
I know some, and I have some knowledge in transcription itself, but
need more info especially on medical. thanks.

On 1/6/16, Michael Mote <miketmote73@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! I would be interested in your work at home experiences as well.

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing
loss, so I have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical
transcription, or other home based position but am not sure what
extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.
Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.? I
use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with
home based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Plantronics also makes a single-driver unit mixing the two sources, like the one I’m presently using.  Works pretty well, without the cauliflower ear I had with the dual unit a few years ago.

You will need a hedset that allows you to hear JAWS in one ear, and the phone (or whatever audio source you are listening to,) in the other. Plantronics used to make such a device years ago. You will need this regardless of whether you work from home, or out of the home.

I’m currently searching for a customer service, medical transcription, or other home based position  but am not sure what extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.  Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?  I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with home based employment?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

For medical transcription, get the number from Directory Assistance of American Association for Medical Transcription. Ask them for direction toward getting certification. If you have had some courses or experience, you might be ready for the examination, so they should be able to tell what to do to arrange the examination and a proctor. They have study modules. At least, that used to be the case. I have been out of the field for 18 years, but others on this list may be able to give better guidance toward certification. I was certified for about 20 years. Once certified, it is necessary to take continuing education to maintain certification, and you probably would find that interesting and helpful to you with the work.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing
loss, so I have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical
transcription, or other home based position but am not sure what
extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.
Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?
I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with
home based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

Jonelle P

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for that tip. I'll do that. and for anyone else who'd like to
exchange tips for transcription or working at home in general., feel
free to message me at jonellenicole@gmail.com or on skype at
jonele_nicole
thanks.

On 1/7/16, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
For medical transcription, get the number from Directory Assistance of
American Association for Medical Transcription. Ask them for direction
toward getting certification. If you have had some courses or experience,
you might be ready for the examination, so they should be able to tell what
to do to arrange the examination and a proctor. They have study modules. At
least, that used to be the case. I have been out of the field for 18 years,
but others on this list may be able to give better guidance toward
certification. I was certified for about 20 years. Once certified, it is
necessary to take continuing education to maintain certification, and you
probably would find that interesting and helpful to you with the work.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I have moderate to severe, or is it the other way around hearing
loss, so I have to do everything from the left ear.

Rather uncomfortable to put the phone and headset to one ear lol.

I'm currently searching for a customer service, medical
transcription, or other home based position but am not sure what
extra equipment I might need to do these types of jobs from home.
Do I need special software, special headset and/or ear bud, etc.?
I use Windows 7 and Jaws 15.

Could somebody please share their current or past experience with
home based employment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

--
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet

--
ADEKOYA, Rasak.
|Lead Consultant 360Connect.
Inclusive Leadership® Coach.
Public speaker & Business strategist.

Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for free...
www.360connect.com.ng/blog

Tel: 2348034829045
Skype: Asiwaju.rasak29
Twitt: @adekoyarasakb

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

--

Beauty is quality, & quality is a way of life.

Jonelle P

Hi again Carolyn,

This is for in the morning if you see this, I visited the Ahdi website
and noticed a few courses to take, and as a beginner, Ithought 3 were
ve necessary to become a transcriptionist. could you tell me if any
specific one should be tak first from your experience? I'm also
planning on calling them for more advice. I'm thankful you posted this
info cause knew I could take a course there to get certified in this
field. Thanks!