moderated Seeking recommendations for password managers

Norma A. Boge

Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2019 and would like to hear your thoughts on password managers. I recall Last Pass, is that still a good option in terms of accessibility with Jaws? Any other helpful info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norma

John Covici

Last pass is not very accessible, you need to click the mouse on lots
of stuff and its rather obscure in some places -- I needed sighted
help via Aira to get it going. It does have lots of good features and
the IOS app is pretty accessible, but not the PC.

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 13:52:16 -0400,
Norma A. Boge wrote:

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2019 and would like to hear your thoughts on password managers. I recall Last Pass, is that still a good option in terms of accessibility with Jaws? Any other helpful info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norma

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Tanguy LOHEAC

Hi,

I personally use 1Password that is fairly accessible. I noticed better usability with Jaws than NVDA, but most of the features can be performed with the keyboard.

The only complication is the sign up process and subscription. I can remember spending times on their site to get it in place. But once done, it's ok.

Tanguy

--
Didactiweb - les formations adaptées aux déficients visuels
Tanguy Lohéac

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Robert Cole

Norma A. Boge wrote:

[1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2  <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2019 and would like to hear your thoughts on password managers. I recall Last Pass, is that still a good option in terms of accessibility with Jaws? Any other helpful info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norma

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

        John Covici wb2una
        covici@...

Steve Matzura

1Password 4's access is good up until you want to switch views, say, from passwords to credit cards or any of the other things 1Password can save. In fact, I've had so much trouble getting these other views to stay in focus once I click them with the JAWS Mouse Cursor button, that I am loath to upgrade to the newer cloud-based multi-device version for fear of the same accessibility problem being there in that version as well. Can you tell me--us--how that's done in the newer versions?

Norma A. Boge wrote:
[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
Hi group,

I’m using Jaws 2019 and would like to hear your thoughts on password managers. I recall Last Pass, is that still a good option in terms of accessibility with Jaws? Any other helpful info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norma

Jerry Berrier <jerry.berrier@...>

I have never had a problem switching views on the Windows app or the iOS app.

--
 Jerry Berrier
Director of Education Technology

I have been using Roboform for probably 15 years now and it works pretty well on both the PC and iOS.

--

 Jerry Berrier
Director of Education Technology
Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:43 AM, Robert Cole wrote:
https://www.pwsafe.org/
Seconded in a big way.   It also has iOS and Android ports and allows those versions as well as the PC version to use the cloud as the location for your encrypted password safe file, which is what I do.   Any change I make to my password safe either on my smartphone or any of my computers is reflected on all other devices as a result.

And you can't beat free and accessible.   Password Safe and its ports don't have every one of the flashy bells and whistles of some commercial products, but it's way more than sufficient for my needs and does have quite a few bells and whistles that I don't use.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Steve Matzura

Have you used version 4?

On 10/16/2019 10:45 AM, Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io wrote:
I have never had a problem switching views on the Windows app or the iOS app.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
1Password 4's access is good up until you want to switch views, say,
from passwords to credit cards or any of the other things 1Password can
save. In fact, I've had so much trouble getting these other views to
stay in focus once I click them with the JAWS Mouse Cursor button, that
I am loath to upgrade to the newer cloud-based multi-device version for
fear of the same accessibility problem being there in that version as
well. Can you tell me--us--how that's done in the newer versions?

On 10/16/2019 2:27 AM, Tanguy LOHEAC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I personally use 1Password that is fairly accessible. I noticed better
> usability with Jaws than NVDA, but most of the features can be
> performed with the keyboard.
>
> The only complication is the sign up process and subscription. I can
> remember spending times on their site to get it in place. But once
> done, it's ok.
>
> Tanguy

Jerry Berrier <jerry.berrier@...>

No, Version 7.

--
 Jerry Berrier
Director of Education Technology
Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Norma A. Boge

Hi John, thanks for the info. I need a manager for my PC so I'll be looking
elsewhere. Best, norma

Norma A. Boge wrote:

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>] Hi group,

I?m using Jaws 2019 and would like to hear your thoughts on password
managers. I recall Last Pass, is that still a good option in terms of
accessibility with Jaws? Any other helpful info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norma

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Norma A. Boge

Many thanks to everybody for your suggestions. Norma

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:43 AM, Robert Cole wrote:

https://www.pwsafe.org/

Seconded in a big way.   It also has iOS and Android ports and allows those versions as well as the PC version to use the cloud as the location for your encrypted password safe file, which is what I do.   Any change I make to my password safe either on my smartphone or any of my computers is reflected on all other devices as a result.

And you can't beat free and accessible.   Password Safe and its ports don't have every one of the flashy bells and whistles of some commercial products, but it's way more than sufficient for my needs and does have quite a few bells and whistles that I don't use.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Cristóbal

I’ve been using 1Password for a couple of years now and haven’t experienced this issue at all.

Also, you mention 1Password 4. I don’t know if there’s a reason why you’re still on such an old version of the product, but I’m currently running the most up to date 1Password Version 7.3.712 on my PCs.

They’re usually good and responsive about addressing accessibility bugs brought to their attention too. So other than that, don’t know what else to say.

On 10/16/2019 10:45 AM, Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io wrote:

I have never had a problem switching views on the Windows app or the iOS app.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

1Password 4's access is good up until you want to switch views, say,
from passwords to credit cards or any of the other things 1Password can
save. In fact, I've had so much trouble getting these other views to
stay in focus once I click them with the JAWS Mouse Cursor button, that
I am loath to upgrade to the newer cloud-based multi-device version for
fear of the same accessibility problem being there in that version as
well. Can you tell me--us--how that's done in the newer versions?

On 10/16/2019 2:27 AM, Tanguy LOHEAC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I personally use 1Password that is fairly accessible. I noticed better
> usability with Jaws than NVDA, but most of the features can be
> performed with the keyboard.
>
> The only complication is the sign up process and subscription. I can
> remember spending times on their site to get it in place. But once
> done, it's ok.
>
> Tanguy

Norma,

Sorry about being a bit late to the party.

I really like Keepass for managing my passwords in Windows. I find it is accessible with Fusion 2019 and JAWS. It is also free and you can read about it at the following link:

https://keepass.info/download.html

It's latest version is KeePass 2.43 which can be downloaded with the following link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/KeePass%202.x/2.43/KeePass-2.43-Setup.exe/download

If you use an iPhone or other iOS device, Mini Keepass is the app which works with the Keepass .kdbx database file. You have to transfer the database file to your iOS device either using a Dropbox account or iTunes since Keepass doesn't have a cloud service like 1Password. But it is free.

Here is a How-To Geek article on password managers you might want to read:

https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/

The article might be a bit dated and it is not written from an accessibility viewpoint but it does have some good information. Good luck with the selection process.

Alan Lemly

Many thanks to everybody for your suggestions. Norma

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:43 AM, Robert Cole wrote:

https://www.pwsafe.org/

Seconded in a big way.   It also has iOS and Android ports and allows those versions as well as the PC version to use the cloud as the location for your encrypted password safe file, which is what I do.   Any change I make to my password safe either on my smartphone or any of my computers is reflected on all other devices as a result.

And you can't beat free and accessible.   Password Safe and its ports don't have every one of the flashy bells and whistles of some commercial products, but it's way more than sufficient for my needs and does have quite a few bells and whistles that I don't use.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

John Covici

I was using keepass, but it no longer works on the mac and the ios
client (keepass touch) has some problems, its accessible, but not well
maintained.

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:15:23 -0400,
Alan Lemly wrote:

[...]

DJ

I find the app to be extremely accessible and well-maintained on the iPhone. I don’t use it on the Mac but I do use it on windows as well. It does a very good job of automatically synchronizing any updates that I make to my database. Again, it is quite accessible.

Alan Lemly wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> [2  <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> Norma,
>

> Sorry about being a bit late to the party.
>

> I really like Keepass for managing my passwords in Windows. I find it is accessible with Fusion 2019 and JAWS. It is also free and you can read about it at the following link:
>

> https://keepass.info/download.html
>

> It's latest version is KeePass 2.43 which can be downloaded with the following link:
>

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/KeePass%202.x/2.43/KeePass-2.43-Setup.exe/download
>

> If you use an iPhone or other iOS device, Mini Keepass is the app which works with the Keepass .kdbx database file. You have to transfer the database file to your iOS device either using a Dropbox account or iTunes since Keepass doesn't
> have a cloud service like 1Password. But it is free.
>

> Here is a How-To Geek article on password managers you might want to read:
>

> https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
>

> The article might be a bit dated and it is not written from an accessibility viewpoint but it does have some good information. Good luck with the selection process.
>

> Alan Lemly

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@...

Norma A. Boge

Hi alan, this is great info, thanks so much! I’ll definitely be checking keypass out. Best, Norma

Many thanks to everybody for your suggestions. Norma

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:43 AM, Robert Cole wrote:

https://www.pwsafe.org/

Seconded in a big way.   It also has iOS and Android ports and allows those versions as well as the PC version to use the cloud as the location for your encrypted password safe file, which is what I do.   Any change I make to my password safe either on my smartphone or any of my computers is reflected on all other devices as a result.

And you can't beat free and accessible.   Password Safe and its ports don't have every one of the flashy bells and whistles of some commercial products, but it's way more than sufficient for my needs and does have quite a few bells and whistles that I don't use.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Tyler Wood

Hello there.

Just to add a few things here re: key pass, though I am relatively new to it.

Android has a similar setup with key pass droid.

You can use key pass portably with the actual database file stored separate from the portable key pass folder, which is quite handy. E.g. key pass itself stored on your computer’s hard drive with the database file, that being the file that stores all of your usernames and passwords, stored on something like a thumb drive or external hard drive. It, of course, could also be stored on your computer as well.

A few questions I have personally.

Are there any settings that one recommends changing from the defaults? Any plug ins that work exceptionally well or are recommended?

So far, really liking keypass. I don’t like the idea of my passwords in the cloud – to me, it is counter intuitive to store passwords using a service that itself could be compromised – as has happened with 1 password – and this is free. Of course, if the database file gets physically stolen e.g. thumb drive or computer, wherever the file may be stored, that in itself is a problem. So far as I know, however, when passwords get updated on, say, a computer, the file must be sent to the mobile device manually and vice versa.

Hope that helps!

[...]

Hi tyler, I’m an Android user so your info is very helpful. Now all I have to do is find the time to get this bab boy up and running. <smile> Best, Norma

[...]

jredlichspeaks@...

I use KeePass.  It has been accessible so far with Jaws.

Judy