moderated Re arranging columns in Excel

Nickus de Vos

Hi all

My Excel skills is a bit rusty. I’m using Office 365 updated and Jaws 2019 also updated to the latest.

How can I re arrange columns on a excel spreadsheet using the keyboard?

For example, if A1 has contact number, A2 Email address and A3 Name, how can I move the name column over to A1 so that A1 is Name, A2 contact number and A3 email address.

Hope I explained this properly.

Nickus

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
If the data is too much different between the columns, this might not work, but I insert a blank column in front of the column that I want to move to the right, and select the column that I want to move and paste it in the blank column.
Control + space bar selects an entire column.
HTH.
Maybe there is an easier way, but in my older version of Office, there is no move option after selecting a column.

Glenn

From:  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Excel-1798d9d5-842a-42b8-9c99-9b7213f0040f#bkmk_selectwin

Select an entire column in a worksheet         CTRL+Spacebar
Select an entire row in a worksheet               SHIFT+Spacebar

Once you have the column selected you want to move, hit CTRL+X to cut it.

Move to the column where you wish to have the cut column inserted to its left, and select it.

Bring up the context menu and then either arrow down to the Insert Cut Cells item and hit enter, or just hit E, which activates that choice directly.

The column you selected first will now be to the immediate left of the column you had selected when performing the insert.

The same basic principle applies to rows, and I believe the insertion point is above the row selected when the insert is done.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

And for complete clarity, when I said "select it" above for the column where you want the cut column to its left, I mean select the entire column using CTRL+Spacebar once you're in any cell in that column.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Van Lant, Robin

The directions below are good, but you do not need to select the column beside which you want to insert.  It is best to be at the top of the column, though, before hitting the context menu and selecting.  The benefit of using this method to insert cut cells is that it automatically deletes the empty column you just vacated.  If you use the method of cutting a column and pasting it into a blank one, the original column will still be there.  That’s fine if it’s at the end of a table, but probably not what you want if you  are moving columns within the middle of a table.

Select an entire column in a worksheet         CTRL+Spacebar
Select an entire row in a worksheet               SHIFT+Spacebar

Once you have the column selected you want to move, hit CTRL+X to cut it.

Move to the column where you wish to have the cut column inserted to its left, and select it.

Bring up the context menu and then either arrow down to the Insert Cut Cells item and hit enter, or just hit E, which activates that choice directly.

The column you selected first will now be to the immediate left of the column you had selected when performing the insert.

The same basic principle applies to rows, and I believe the insertion point is above the row selected when the insert is done.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

But the instructions I gave do not leave the cut column in place (or a vacated column in the same place as the cut column), otherwise it wouldn't be doing what was asked for.

If you select a column in its entirety, cut it, select another column in its entirety, and then use Insert Cut Cells the column cut is moved wholesale and the letter designations for the columns are reset.  The cut column will be moved immediately to the left of the column selected immediately prior to doing the insert.  This is the only thing that can make sense, as if one wishes to put a column first (in the Column A position) instead of what's there you have to select column a in its entirety, then insert.  Then the inserted column becomes Column A, the former Column A becomes B, etc., etc., etc.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Van Lant, Robin

Brian, we are both correct, I was just expanding on your comment.  I’m simply saying that you don’t have to select the second column before doing the “paste cut cells”, as long as your cursor is at the top of that column.  Your method of selecting the second column is a nice trick I didn’t know for being able to insert the cut column without moving to the top of the desired column first.  I can see how that would be really valuable when I’m working in some of my massive spreadsheets and I look forward to using that.

And, indeed, our method of using insert cut cells is better because it doesn’t’ leave the empty column after pasting. I made that comment because someone else responded that they first insert a blank column then copy and paste the data they want to move, which you and I both know would leave an empty column.

But the instructions I gave do not leave the cut column in place (or a vacated column in the same place as the cut column), otherwise it wouldn't be doing what was asked for.

If you select a column in its entirety, cut it, select another column in its entirety, and then use Insert Cut Cells the column cut is moved wholesale and the letter designations for the columns are reset.  The cut column will be moved immediately to the left of the column selected immediately prior to doing the insert.  This is the only thing that can make sense, as if one wishes to put a column first (in the Column A position) instead of what's there you have to select column a in its entirety, then insert.  Then the inserted column becomes Column A, the former Column A becomes B, etc., etc., etc.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Robin,

             Thanks for the clarification.

              When it comes to Excel spreadsheets, even though I'm sighted, if I can avoid having to "go to the top of a column" then focus on it I prefer to.  Whether we're talking a row or column, moving up/down or left/right, respectively, and being able to select the whole thing is really convenient.   I don't use Excel very often at all and a lot of what I've learned about it is "keyboard centric" because it's been for blind or visually impaired clients who are, or when questions come up here.

               By the way, the Microsoft document, in MS-Word format, Excel 2016 for Windows keyboard shortcuts, can come in very handy indeed when it comes to figuring out how to do something one seldom does or needs to do.  I find the full set of keyboard shortcuts all in one document to be even more useful than the reference pages on the Microsoft site since they're easier to search.

         ~ Eric Hoffer