moderated is there a way to combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment?

David Ingram

Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment. I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give. For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad. thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  two questions I must ask you.

1. Are your documents related to a specific topic or do the three documents cover unrelated topics and you are finding a way to relate them?

2.  What formats are your documents?

On 10/6/2019 4:40 PM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment. I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give. For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad. thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Chris

Zip them up into one file and add the zip file as an attachment in the normal way

Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment.  I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.  For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad.  thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Jaffar Sidek

I would propose that if the files are of separte topic.  But if they are related,  then put them all in a large file and put navigational headings and such.

On 10/6/2019 4:55 PM, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

Zip them up into one file and add the zip file as an attachment in the normal way

Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment.  I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.  For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad.  thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Steve Matzura

You don't need to combine anything. Just attach them all to the same email, or  send them individually.

On 10/6/2019 4:51 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
Hi.  two questions I must ask you.

1. Are your documents related to a specific topic or do the three documents cover unrelated topics and you are finding a way to relate them?

2.  What formats are your documents?

On 10/6/2019 4:40 PM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment.  I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.  For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad.  thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Steve Matzura

You could certainly do that, but be mindful of whether the recipient will know what to do with a ZIP file when they receive it.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 08:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
You don't need to combine anything. Just attach them all to the same email, or  send them individually.
Which is the conventional way, barring using a ZIP file, which makes more sense if you've got more than just a couple of files or at least one of the files is an executable, which are seldom accepted via e-mail anymore.

If a recipient does not know what to do with a ZIP file then they need to learn, as they've been in common use for decades, and often for occasions where a large cluster of files, sometimes including their folder structure, needs to be sent.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

I am surprised nobody asked here what type of documents they are. He mentioned sending them as text files, but if they are text files then he could simply open the first, go to the end, then open the second, do a select all and copy and paste the content into the first, then repeat with the third. You then save the first document either using the original name or give it a new one and you have one file containing all the information.

You could do the same with a Word document or an Excel sheet where you could put the information from each file on a separate worksheet in one document.

The only time when this won’t work is with PDF documents. If you want to combine several documents/files into one  you would need some sort of PDF editing software, I am not sure if Nuance Power PDF still exists or is still called this, but with it you can combine or split PDF documents.

Regards,

Sieghard

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 08:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

You don't need to combine anything. Just attach them all to the same email, or  send them individually.

Which is the conventional way, barring using a ZIP file, which makes more sense if you've got more than just a couple of files or at least one of the files is an executable, which are seldom accepted via e-mail anymore.

If a recipient does not know what to do with a ZIP file then they need to learn, as they've been in common use for decades, and often for occasions where a large cluster of files, sometimes including their folder structure, needs to be sent.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Rick Mladek

This was asked from the beginning...

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 08:38 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

You don't need to combine anything. Just attach them all to the same email, or  send them individually.

Which is the conventional way, barring using a ZIP file, which makes more sense if you've got more than just a couple of files or at least one of the files is an executable, which are seldom accepted via e-mail anymore.

If a recipient does not know what to do with a ZIP file then they need to learn, as they've been in common use for decades, and often for occasions where a large cluster of files, sometimes including their folder structure, needs to be sent.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Sorry, you are right, Jaffar asked this in his first email and I overlooked it, but be that as it may, I did not see an answer from David.

1. Are your documents related to a specific topic or do the three
documents cover unrelated topics and you are finding a way to relate them?

2.  What formats are your documents?

On 10/6/2019 4:40 PM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi list members, I have a question as to how I might combine three documents in to one to send as an attatchment. I need to do this soon so I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give. For now i'll probably have to send the document as a text file using notepad. thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

Hi, how are you? to answer both of your questions one these are all text documents, and they are related because they all come from a place that I've been accepted to persue an online music production degree. Hope that this will answer the question. I need to send these items so that I can meet a requirement.

Your message is blank

[...]

David & Sieghard,

          A bit of information that should help both of you, and the group as a whole.

          David's last message was not blank, but certainly appeared to be, even on the web interface.   This is because he bottom posted the following:  "Hi, how are you? to answer both of your questions one these are all text documents, and they are related because they all come from a place that I've been accepted to persue an online music production degree. Hope that this will answer the question. I need to send these items so that I can meet a requirement."

           If you bottom post material after the entire quoted content of a prior message, most e-mail clients and the Groups.io web interface do not know that the quoted material has ended and the new material begun, and it gets subsumed within the most-often-hidden quoted material.   Even if it didn't, someone would still have to go all the way to the bottom to find the new content, and for a simple response such as this one that's very unlikely to happen.  I only found it because I decided to expand the quoted material and accidentally found it there.

            Unless you (any you) are doing a reply where it's necessary to intersperse your new material within the old to retain context, it's always better to either add it to the top of the message, leaving the quoted material afterward, or eliminate the quoted material via select all and delete before adding your new stuff.  That way it doesn't have any chance of going missing in action like happened here.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi All,

If by chance the integrity of the three documents must be kept, it would be easier to put them all into one folder and send the folder. Forgive me if I am missing the jiss of the question.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 12:47 PM, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:
If by chance the integrity of the three documents must be kept, it would be easier to put them all into one folder and send the folder.
I get exactly what you're saying, but I have never had any luck in trying to send a folder as an attachment to an e-mail message other than if it's a cloud-based folder.   Maybe I gave up way, way, way too early in the game, but that's why I recommend using file ZIPping, as it reliably accomplishes that task.

But in the case of three and only three documents, it makes little sense to do anything other than to attach all three to a single e-mail message and send them that way.  The amount of work involved in creating a ZIP file for three items is more than doing three attach commands in an e-mail client, and you may not even need to do that if all the files are in a single folder, in which case you could multi-select all three in a single attach command.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

ratshtron

why not zip the folder up using 7z? that should work just fine.

Legend has it that on Monday 10/7/2019 12:25 PM, Brian Vogel said:
[...]

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362 Â

        ~ Eric Hoffer