moderated OT - Setting Up the "Guest" Account in Windows 10

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 on a Windows 10 PC.  I have read about four alternative ways to setup the “Guest” account in Windows 10.  Two of them involve doing it through the command prompt, one involves doing it through setting up “group policies” and the fourth one involves doing it through “computer management.”  From what I have read, all of the first three methods do not really work correctly and are problematic.  So, about the fourth method, does anyone have experience with it?  Is it the right way to do it?  Basically, I want a *real* “Guest” account that 1) appears on the sign-in screen, 2) requires no sign-in password, 3) and has more restrictions than does a traditional  “restricted” account among other of the “Guest” account’s limitations.  Note, from what I have read, those first three methods do not have the same level of limitations as does a real “Guest” account, among other problems with those methods.

Thanks,

Richard

Randy Barnett

Darn! MS wants to know everything we do on our PC's! I cant find any way to setup an offline account in v1903.

even with the command line method I used before I cant do it. The link for setup an offline account wont activate. No mention of an guest account anywhere.

On 9/24/2019 9:02 AM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Why not call Microsoft Accessibility and get them to help you with it since I am almost 100% certain it can still be done just fine.

[...]

I've never seen the point in the Guest account (as such) anyway.  You can set up a local account with standard privileges, and without a password unless that's changed very recently, and have the same thing.  I've created a local account named Visitor for that purpose on some machines.

Why go through a bunch of gyrations to get something you can create via the regular Accounts settings?
Creating a local account under Windows 10 (Version 1903 used for steps)

1. Open Settings, Accounts, Family & Other Users Pane.

2. Navigate to the Add someone else to this PC button.  Activate it.  (It's under the Other users section)

3.  The Microsoft Account dialog will open, asking for an e-mail or phone number, but since you're trying to create a local account activate the I don't have this person's sign in information link instead.

4.  In the next screen of the dialog, Create Account, activate the Add a user without a Microsoft account link.

5.  In the next screen, Create an account for this PC, enter the user name you want in the edit box Who's going to use this PC?   If you wish to have a password, then in the two edit boxes under Make it secure, enter the password and enter it again.  If you don't want a password, leave those blank.

You're done.  The account will be created as a local account with standard privileges and should now appear on your login screen as one you can choose from.

This has been the method for a while now, though I can't remember which version I was using when I last created a local account before creating one now to get through the steps above.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Randy Barnett

Did you do this with a screen reader? I cant get past the second screen. Not that I want an account I was just trying to help the OP.

On 9/26/2019 9:46 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Hi Randy,

I use Windows 10  Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356) and Jaws 2019 latest update and I had no problems at all to follow Brian’s steps and create a local user account, it took all of 30 seconds including selecting and answering 3 security questions.

[...]

Chris

Richard B. McDonald

While it is true that you can setup a local “Visitor” account this way, that sort of an account has different privileges (higher) than does a Guest account.  So, before I go down the rabbit hole of setting up an account that is not *really* what I want, I would like first to see if a real Guest account can be setup in Windows 10.