From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of turab chimthanawala
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 7:01 AM
To: jfw <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: Issues with google chrome

Hi all,
I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens in IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

turab chimthanawala

Hi Dean,
Thanks
Well yes I face the same trouble while copying in chrome while using NVDA.

On 9/23/19, Dean Martineau <topdot@gmail.com> wrote:
It would be enlightening to know if you have the same problems copying from
web pages if you tried it with NVDA or with a demo copy of JAWS 2019.

With Chrome open, you can hold down Insert and press F1 quickly to get all
that JAWS help has to offer about using Chrome, including lots of
keystrokes.

I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens in
IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

Glenn / Lenny

When trying to copy text, have you tried dropping a temporary placemarker with windows control + K, and then moving to the other end of what you want to copy and press insert + space bar, and then the letter M.
This will select what you want, then you do the normal copy command.
On the Google settings, try saving the settings before leaving the page.

HTH.
Glenn

I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens in IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

With Jaws and with Chrome open, bring up quick settings with Jaws Key + V, type "copy" in the search box and tab once, you should hear this:

Select and Copy Full content using onscreen highlight

Press the spacebar and it should change to read like this:

Select and Copy from Virtual Cursor

Try this and see if it helps with copying from websites.

Regards,
Sieghard

Virtual Cursor Options
From Virtual Cursor

I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens
in IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

turab chimthanawala

Hi guys,
Thanks for your revert.
Sieghard that gesture worked.
Now, could someone pls help me withthe following two additional issues.
1. Getting rid of the requirement to select Basic HTMl view each time
I login to Gmail via chrome.
2. going back in web pages. The Alt + left arrow doesn't work. Also,
unlike IE where on pressing Alt + F4, one is given an option whether
to only close one tab or all tabs, chrome just shuts down everything.
Thanks
Best
Turab

With Jaws and with Chrome open, bring up quick settings with Jaws Key + V,
type "copy" in the search box and tab once, you should hear this:

Select and Copy Full content using onscreen highlight

Press the spacebar and it should change to read like this:

Select and Copy from Virtual Cursor

Try this and see if it helps with copying from websites.

Regards,
Sieghard

Virtual Cursor Options
From Virtual Cursor

I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens
in IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google
chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

David Griffith

I don’t know why left alt is not working for you but you could try using backspace.

In relation to closing individual tabs the command for  this is control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

I don’t use webmail so cannot help with your Gmail issue.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 9/23/19, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

> With Jaws and with Chrome open, bring up quick settings with Jaws Key + V,

> type "copy" in the search box and tab once, you should hear this:

> Select and Copy Full content using onscreen highlight

> Press the spacebar and it should change to read like this:

> Select and Copy from Virtual Cursor

> Try this and see if it helps with copying from websites.

> Regards,

> Sieghard

> Virtual Cursor Options

> From Virtual Cursor

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

No, indeed, Chrome doesn't give any warning when you press alt+F4. So if you want to close one tab, press ctrl+W, and when you want to close the browser, press alt+F4. Keep in mind also that shift+ctrl+t reopens tabs you may have closed but now want open. It works like Ctrl+z, you can just keep pressing it to restore closed tabs.

I use JAWS 2018, the latest google chrome and Win 10.
I face challenges:
1. Each time I login to Gmail, I am required to select "Basic HTML
view": In IE, once chosen, this doesn't have to be done everytime.
2. I can't seem to copy stuff from certain web pages: The same happens
in IE.
3. Any list of key commands to ensure better use of JAWS and Google
chrome.
Thanks
Best
Turab

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try
using backspace.
Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is
control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.
Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

And there are also extensions which when installed won't allow for Chrome to be closed without a warning, but I tried one of them and didn't like it.
The Control + W method for closing individual tabs is best, may need a bit of getting used to until it's part of your muscle memory.

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Gerald Levy

What is the advantage of opening web pages in separate tabs vs. opening them in separate windows?  I don't see any, especially for blind users who can't see the whole screen, anyway.

Gerald

And there are also extensions which when installed won't allow for Chrome to be closed without a warning, but I tried one of them and didn't like it.
The Control + W method for closing individual tabs is best, may need a bit of getting used to until it's part of your muscle memory.

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Cristóbal

Having multiple windows open for every page can soon lead to alt+tab hell.
Probably more a tomato/tomotto thing at the end of the day though.
Depending on what I’m doing, I may have a cluster of tabs open in one window and if I'm researching a totally separate subject, I may have those tabs open in a different window entirely. I also take advantage of the virtual desktop feature and there's always the ability to have difference instances of Chrome with different accounts open as well.
Ultimately that sort of thing will depend on how best it fits into your workflow.
As far as the tabs thing, I also take advantage of the control+page down/page up commands to cycle through my various open tabs.

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Gerald,
The nice thing about separate tabs is that you can do control + W and close them without closing the entire browser.
For example, when I hear it say
opening in a new tab, I know that I can close that tab/window and not close the previous page.
Glenn

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

There may not be much of an advantage between multiple tabs and multiple windows. Having several tabs open at once is known to slow down the system, and I don't know if multiple windows is any worse. In terms of keyboard access, if you use the task bar well, having pages open in multiple windows will let you use first-letter navigation to switch pages. But if you are just alt+tabbing, then having several Chrome windows open could slow you down.

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Gerald Levy

You can close separate windows with Control-F4 without closing the browser.  Same difference. The advantage of opening web pages in separate windows is that you can choose to open them in incognito windows, which I have found to be faster and less prone to crashes, especially with sites like Amazon.com.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Levy via Groups.Io" <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
  >I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try  >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

  >In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is  >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Mario

additionally, if the sound effects extension is installed, you'll get a
distinctive sound when a link opens in a new tab or a separate window,
letting you know what to press to close the page; either control+w or
alt+f4 (or should that be control+f4?).

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
  >I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try
 >using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't
working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or
forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then
escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

  >In relation to closing individual tabs the command for  this is
 >control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

.

Mario

I recall that opening a link in separate windows uses a bit more memory
than opening the links in tabs, but either are memory hogs according to
the amount of content from the website it is referencing.

At 04:18 AM 9/24/2019, David Griffith wrote:
>I don't know why left alt is not working for you but you could try
>using backspace.

Backspace does nothing in Chrome. When alt+left or right arrows aren't
working, the best solution is to press F6 before trying to go back or
forward a page. Once on the previous or next page, press tab, then
escape. These commands all have to do with Chrome's focus.

>In relation to closing individual tabs the command for this is
>control F4 rather than alt F4 which closes the entire program.

Control+W does the same thing.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

.

Glenn / Lenny

Also,
if it is in another window, you have to alt tab to get back to the window you were in before, where control w allows you to close the window without leaving the browser.
Glenn