moderated Irritating problems with JAWS 2018

turab chimthanawala

Dear all,
I use JAWS 2018 on a Win 10 machine. I am pissed off due to the
following issues.
1. When Jaws is on, I can often use "g". While I know that there is
some shortcut Windows + g for game bar: I continually have to turn
that off. Any way to get rid of it permanently?
2. Jaws often loses focus while I am on the net. I have to press Alt +
Tab twice to get the focus back.

Eagerly await solutions for these.

Thanks
Best
Turab

Have you checked in Settings > Gaming > Game Bar and Game Mode to see that Game Bar and Game Mode is turned off?
You may not like this, but keep in mind that Jaws 2018 is 2 years old, I guess a bit less if you count updates for Jaws 2018 throughout that year, but as Windows moves on (version 1809, 1903 and soon 1909 are all versions which came after Jaws 2018 support ended) you may find more and more issues. Especially in Jaws 2020 people will probably see some pretty drastic improvements with respect to how Jaws access information with the new GDI or deep level hooking, I think currently the old accessibility display driver is still on by default, but I assume this may change very soon.

Regards,
Sieghard

I use JAWS 2018 on a Win 10 machine. I am pissed off due to the following issues.
1. When Jaws is on, I can often use "g". While I know that there is some shortcut Windows + g for game bar: I continually have to turn that off. Any way to get rid of it permanently?
2. Jaws often loses focus while I am on the net. I have to press Alt + Tab twice to get the focus back.

Eagerly await solutions for these.

Thanks
Best
Turab

Dan Longmore

Hi,
Sorry I can't help with the first but I can tell you that 2018 did have a lot of trouble with losing focus. A JAWS re boot at times fixed the problem for a time. Tabbing away and coming back is annoying but works. So far the issue is much less, if at all, in 2019. Yes, Freedom was aware of the issue.

Dan

I use JAWS 2018 on a Win 10 machine. I am pissed off due to the following issues.
1. When Jaws is on, I can often use "g". While I know that there is some shortcut Windows + g for game bar: I continually have to turn that off. Any way to get rid of it permanently?
2. Jaws often loses focus while I am on the net. I have to press Alt + Tab twice to get the focus back.

Eagerly await solutions for these.

Thanks
Best
Turab

Maria Campbell

I didn't have any focus problems with 18 that I recall, but I sure do with 19 now.  That's why I'm trying out the 20 beta.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

On 9/21/2019 10:23 AM, Dan Longmore wrote:
[...]

He was talking about Jaws 2018 not 18 and there is no 19 or 20, just 2019 and 2020. I know you probably mean that, but 18 and 2018 is certainly potentially confusing and going forward I think it is better to use the proper version designations.
I know there is the old argument about the affordability of Jaws, but I never really understood how once somebody had Jaws initially they could not afford the $5 a month which an SMA effectively costs. I think the problem is that people have to pay $120 every 2 years and it is more of a budgeting issue, they probably wouldn't have any issue with $5/month, but can't come up with $120 as a lumpsum because they don't budget. In any case, just as Windows 10 nowadays gets 2 major updates a year and older versions go out of support relatively quickly, I think it is absolutely important that if you are a Jaws user to also use the most current version of Jaws if you want the best experience.

I use JAWS 2018 on a Win 10 machine. I am pissed off due to the following issues.
1. When Jaws is on, I can often use "g". While I know that there is some shortcut Windows + g for game bar: I continually have to turn that off. Any way to get rid of it permanently?
2. Jaws often loses focus while I am on the net. I have to press Alt + Tab twice to get the focus back.

Eagerly await solutions for these.

Thanks
Best
Turab

Maria Campbell

I humbly apologize and consider myself spanked with a wet noodle for my shortcuts of the JAWS version, which probably confused no one.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, I have this problem more with 2019 than I did with 2018.
Maybe that problem came with the 2018 update that was fairly recent?

I use JAWS 2018 on a Win 10 machine. I am pissed off due to the following issues.
1. When Jaws is on, I can often use "g". While I know that there is some shortcut Windows + g for game bar: I continually have to turn that off. Any way to get rid of it permanently?
2. Jaws often loses focus while I am on the net. I have to press Alt + Tab twice to get the focus back.

Eagerly await solutions for these.

Thanks
Best
Turab

turab chimthanawala

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your reverts.
So it seems the only option to get rid of this problem is to upgrade.
Best
Turab

On 9/21/19, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@cableone.net> wrote:
Yeah, I have this problem more with 2019 than I did with 2018.
Maybe that problem came with the 2018 update that was fairly recent?
I didn't have any focus problems with 18 that I recall, but I sure do with

19 now. That's why I'm trying out the 20 beta.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do
nothing.