moderated Windows 10 "Sign-in" versus Windows 7 "Logon" Screens

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am new to Windows 10.  I am using it under JAWS 2019.  In Windows 7, there was a “logon” screen that listed the various user accounts.  In Windows 10, there seems to be a “sign-in” screen.  Right now, there is just one user for this sign-in screen - me.  So, what is the difference between the “sign-in” versus the “logon” screens?  What happens in Windows 10 when I add a couple of additional user accounts?  How does this “sign-in” screen change?  With JAWS, what is the best way to setup Windows 10 to handle logging-in?  For example, can (or should) I disable the “sign-in” screen and instead use a “logon” screen?

Thanks,

Richard

If you have more than one user they also show up in Windows 10, you can tab to the one you want, press enter and it will ask for that user’s password or PIN (if you set up a PIN).

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 9:18 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Windows 10 "Sign-in" versus Windows 7 "Logon" Screens

Hi!

I am new to Windows 10.  I am using it under JAWS 2019.  In Windows 7, there was a “logon” screen that listed the various user accounts.  In Windows 10, there seems to be a “sign-in” screen.  Right now, there is just one user for this sign-in screen - me.  So, what is the difference between the “sign-in” versus the “logon” screens?  What happens in Windows 10 when I add a couple of additional user accounts?  How does this “sign-in” screen change?  With JAWS, what is the best way to setup Windows 10 to handle logging-in?  For example, can (or should) I disable the “sign-in” screen and instead use a “logon” screen?

Thanks,

Richard

As far as their respective functions, they're absolutely synonymous.

There are now Microsoft Account linked and local Windows 10 User Accounts, and there were only the equivalent of local under Windows 7.  But, still, that doesn't change the way the Sign-in screen works, which is essentially the same way that the Log-in screen did under Windows 7 when there are multiple accounts.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

Many of the insights of the saint stem from his experience as a sinner.

~ Eric Hoffer

Hi,

They are essentially the same thing – differences in terminology. In case one creates multiple user accounts in Windows 10, users will see a list of users to choose from and asked for credentials in any number of ways – passwords, pin, picture password, fingerprint, iris scan and so on.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 9:18 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Windows 10 "Sign-in" versus Windows 7 "Logon" Screens

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard