Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:28 AM
Subject: Number of lines of print per page in a MS Word Document

Why is it that in older versions of MS Word, I could get 41 lines of print on a single page using 12 point times new roman font and now, I can only get 27 lines of print with the same font?  I have checked the page size and line spacing and it is the same.  I have several documents that were created in Word 2000 and if I save them as Word 2007 docx files, they have more pages.  this is true for label sheets that I have also.  They used to be 10 labels in a column on one page and now, they are 8 labels in a column with the bottom 2 rows going onto a second page.  Can anyone help me fix this mess?

Marty,

          No insult intended, and I'm happy to help off-group, but this is clearly user error of some sort.   It almost sounds like the main document that went from 41 to 27 lines may have its orientation changed from portrait to landscape.

          Label sheets are based upon their templates, and over time certain label makers have changed their template numbers, and that could be at work here.

          If the material in question is not private feel free to send me the original files via e-mail (use the Reply to Sender link at the bottom of this message) and I'll see what shows up on this end.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Marty,

           If you do decide to contact me off-group, please send both the original files and the messed-up ones so that I can examine what's different between the two.

         ~ Eric Hoffer

Van Lant, Robin

A big change starting in, I think, Office 2007, is that the default document has wider spacing between lines.  It’s different from single versus double spacing.  This new spacing I’m talking about is a setting under paragraph.  The easiest way I know to fix this and make as your default is to do the following.

  1. Open a new document.
  2. Hit the applications key to open the context menu and arrow down to Paragraph, then hit enter.
  3. In the paragraph dialog that opens, tab a few times until you hear “Before”.  In that box, type a 0 and then hit tab to the “After” box and type 0 again.  I think it’s the “After box that is usually set to “10 pt” by default and you want “0 pt”.
  4. Tab a few more times to a “Set as Default” button and hit enter.
  5. You may need to hit an “OK” button after this to close the dialog.

If you have an existing document that you need to fix, simply select all text with Control A, then follow the steps starting at Step 2.

Why is it that in older versions of MS Word, I could get 41 lines of print on a single page using 12 point times new roman font and now, I can only get 27 lines of print with the same font?  I have checked the page size and line spacing and it is the same.  I have several documents that were created in Word 2000 and if I save them as Word 2007 docx files, they have more pages.  this is true for label sheets that I have also.  They used to be 10 labels in a column on one page and now, they are 8 labels in a column with the bottom 2 rows going onto a second page.  Can anyone help me fix this mess?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Marty Hutchings

Robin,  That did the trick.  Thanks.

Love in Christ