moderated Does the latest ITuneds work with JFW 2019?

Ralph Supernaw

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

It isn't any worse.
What areas are you most concerned with?

Richard

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

I started to use Itunes with Jaws 2019 and doesn’t work to well. I have a hard time with the playlists I created to show. Then when I navigate around eventualy a certain playlist shows. At least I thought it did. Then I press enter on the play button and it plays a song in a different playlist. Is there a way to change something in Jaws settings or Itune settings to get it to work better?

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

netbat66

if anyone still has i tunes version 12.60 i would not upgrade. this is the last version that allows you to backup your apps on your computer.
at least if you have bought an app and it is removed from the apple app store you would still have it on your computer and could reinstall it.
you can not do this with the newest i tunes version.

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version. Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

David Diamond

Well, I have the latest version of iTunes and have had no problems with JAWS 19. Mind you, I just use iTunes for podcasts.

if anyone still has i tunes version 12.60 i would not upgrade. this is the last version that allows you to backup your apps on your computer.
at least if you have bought an app and it is removed from the apple app store you would still have it on your computer and could reinstall it.
you can not do this with the newest i tunes version.

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version. Before I
do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi. I wouldn't wish ITune for Windows on my worst enemy.  Stick to Winamp or Groove Music or Windows Media player even and they should do a more then adequate job of allowing you to organize your music collection.  ITunes is excellent on the mac, but  a horror on windows.  Cheers!

On 9/14/2019 2:07 AM, Kevin Meyers wrote:

I started to use Itunes with Jaws 2019 and doesn’t work to well. I have a hard time with the playlists I created to show. Then when I navigate around eventualy a certain playlist shows. At least I thought it did. Then I press enter on the play button and it plays a song in a different playlist. Is there a way to change something in Jaws settings or Itune settings to get it to work better?

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Does Winamp or Groove allow one to create playlists?

[...]

They do.  I'll write out something later.  Cheers!

On 9/14/2019 6:56 AM, Kevin Meyers wrote:

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Kevin,  I use Winamp all of the time and I have created lots of play lists with it.  It is totally keyboard accessible.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:56 PM

Does Winamp or Groove allow one to create playlists?

Hi. I wouldn't wish ITune for Windows on my worst enemy.  Stick to Winamp or Groove Music or Windows Media player even and they should do a more then adequate job of allowing you to organize your music collection.  ITunes is excellent on the mac, but  a horror on windows.  Cheers!

On 9/14/2019 2:07 AM, Kevin Meyers wrote:

I started to use ITunes with Jaws 2019 and doesn’t work to well. I have a hard time with the playlists I created to show. Then when I navigate around eventually a certain playlist shows. At least I thought it did. Then I press enter on the play button and it plays a song in a different playlist. Is there a way to change something in Jaws settings or ITune settings to get it to work better?

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Glenn / Lenny

I find it pretty easy to make a playlist using NotePad and copying the path of the files I want in the playlist.
Shift + applications then the letter A copies the full path of the file for the playlist and then I paste that in NotePad.
I actually use control + space bar for all the files in a folder before doing the copy path command, so I can copy the path of a bunch of files at once.
Then when I'm done and save the TXT file, I exit NotePad and rename the file extension from TXT to M3U.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:56 PM

[...]

Where are you getting your songs from? Does winamp allow you to purchase from itunes store?

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:56 PM

[...]

Amazon.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 7:32 PM

[...]

you cannot buy iTunes music with anything but iTunes that I'm aware of.
So Kevin, are you listening just on your computer?
I do not use Winamp, so I do not know if you can play m4a files with it; but once the music is downloaded you could convert it to mp3 and use it to play your playlists.
If you are doing playlists on an iPhone or iPad; you are stuck with iTunes; or you can make them right on your device.

[...]

David Griffith

I must admit I don’t use  playlist at all with iTunes but for standard album playing the normal iTunes advice for use with screenreaders is to change the default album view to songs  view in the sidebar table.

You can then enable column browser which will sort  and organise your iTunes library into easy columns of artist albums and songs, and Genres also it you wish though I normally disable this particular column.

Column browser view is only available once songs view has been enabled.

Whether this helps with playlists I am not sure.

Basically I use iTunes as a shop and for iTunes Match and little else, preferring to use VLC for my actual music playing.

David Griffith.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I started to use Itunes with Jaws 2019 and doesn’t work to well. I have a hard time with the playlists I created to show. Then when I navigate around eventualy a certain playlist shows. At least I thought it did. Then I press enter on the play button and it plays a song in a different playlist. Is there a way to change something in Jaws settings or Itune settings to get it to work better?

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

After you purchased songs using Itunes, how do you get VLC to see the songs? What version of Itunes are you using? I have the most recent version and navigating is nearly impossible. I couldn’t find what you suggested below. Thanks, Kevinthem

I started to use Itunes with Jaws 2019 and doesn’t work to well. I have a hard time with the playlists I created to show. Then when I navigate around eventualy a certain playlist shows. At least I thought it did. Then I press enter on the play button and it plays a song in a different playlist. Is there a way to change something in Jaws settings or Itune settings to get it to work better?

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2.

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Ralph Supernaw <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting off letting ITunes update to the latest version.  Before I do I thought I’d find out if I will regret it.

Thanks.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Kevin,

I don’t use VLC, but I set up a shortcut on my desktop to go to the folder where all the iTunes files are located.  The path is:

"C:\Users\Test\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media"

Replace test with your unique folder for your setup in the Users folder and you can get right to where the files are.

You may have a subfolder under iTunes Media called Music that then will have all the folders of the albums you have purchased.

I suspect VLC could be directed to that folder, if it supports m4A files.

Richard

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

I have tried this and it does not work for me.

It produces an error message no matter what media player I use, VLC Groove Music etc.

Below is the contents of the m3u file I created.

Can anybody tell me why it does not work?

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\01 - Eat For Two.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\02 - Please Forgive Us.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\03 - The Big Parade.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\04 - Trouble Me.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\05 - You Happy Puppet.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\06 - Headstrong.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\07 - Poison In The Well.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\08 - Dust Bowl.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\09 - The Lion's Share.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\10 - Hateful Hate.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\11 - Jubilee.mp3"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\AlbumArt_{04A56B10-1DCC-451B-A74C-9C3E22E60628}_Large.jpg"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\AlbumArt_{04A56B10-1DCC-451B-A74C-9C3E22E60628}_Small.jpg"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\AlbumArtSmall.jpg"

"F:\Drop\Dropbox\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Blind Man's Zoo\Folder.jpg"

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:56 PM

[...]

It is a little fiddly to get iTunes into Songs view as iTunes can be pretty laggy and you might have to tab to get to the sort order where you should hear albums if it in default view.

Try  tab and shift tab in the library sidebar view table until you hear album. As soon as you hear album then try pressing the down arrow to change this to songs.

If your iTunes is slow it may take a little time to respond. Keep on pressing jaws up arrow to check where you are.

It really does work but if your iTunes is laggy then as I say it is a little fiddly.

Once in songs view then pressing control B should turn column browser on. You should then in the view menu find there is a column browser menu item which will allow you to customise the column browser – decide for example if you want the Genre column set.

It might be  also be  worth checking you have full keyboard navigation set in your iTunes preferences. There is more information on this and the Column Browser on

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/itunes/itns1019/windows

In terms of accessing your iTunes music with VLC this is straightforward.

  1. Find your iTunes Media folder which is normally in your Music folder, under iTunes media there will be a music folder and in there you should find all your downloaded iTunes music.
  2. If your music is not there you need to download it. In column browser navigayte down the artist column, first letter navigation should work, then tab across to the relevant album, and then finally tab across to the songs column. Press control a to select all songs, then press the application key and w  to download all the songs in the album. You will find the music in iTunes Media Music artist name then album name and finally the songs in m4a format which VLc will play happily.
  3. David Griffiththe the artist

youu

[...]

Is there an m3u file?

Or is that just too old school.  Windows Media used to use m3u files to run the playlist.

I just do them on my iPhone, so probably out to lunch here.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

You will want to take the quotes out of this.
Also, mine work better if I keep the M3U file in the same folder as the music and remove the part of the path of each song up to the folder where the music folders are.
Make sure that the folders don't start with a backslash.
Glenn