Topics

moderated Is there a more stable Daisy reader than FS Reader 3?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

Cristóbal

I use QRead for pretty much all my eBook reading at this point. I can’t recall at the moment if QRead supports Daisy, but I do know it does support a lot of formats and since it’s an application whose sole purpose is for accessible eBook reading, I’d venture to guess it can handle them.

That said, for Bookshare books, I’ve long since switched my default download preference to ePub format to avoid situations like this to begin with.

Someone on one of these lists also posted something about another eBook reading application called bookworm, but I’m not familiar with it so can’t comment on it beyond that.

Good luck.

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

Sharon

Qread does fine with Daisy. I do it every day!

Sharon

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

Bill White

I’m having the same problem. I want to read the NRSV Bible from Bookshare, but the FS Reader crashes on me, too, and I have a report on this with Vispero. They told me to look at the FS Technical Bulletins for a solution, and that it should be coming soon. The problem is that they told me this about ten days ago, and that they would have had a bulletin up about it about five days ago. Still nothing...

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

Sharon

QRead reads every Bible in Bookshare is daisy form, but that is daisy text, not daisy audio.

Sharon

[...]

Oh, Bill, good work on your part!  Whenever this bulletin gets posted, would you please post here about it?  I am sure this problem is driving many of us crazy!

[...]

Sharon, what is “Qread?”  Can you post a link for it?

Qread does fine with Daisy. I do it every day!

Sharon

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

david

hi,

you may find the user guide helpful;

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/user-guide/

Sharon, what is “Qread?”  Can you post a link for it?

Qread does fine with Daisy. I do it every day!

Sharon

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

david

sorry;

try this link;

Bookworm for windows,

https://babluboy.github.io/bookworm/

Sharon, what is “Qread?”  Can you post a link for it?

Qread does fine with Daisy. I do it every day!

Sharon

I am using JAWS 2019 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  The FS Reader 3 program constantly crashes on me, and is really sluggish.  Is there a more stable Daisy reader I could use?  Or, is there a way to make FS Reader 3 more stable?  BTW, the Daisy books I get from Bookshare are “text only;” although for some strange reason they seem to come through with images.

Thanks,

Richard

david

sorry folks;